the urnash tarot

Egypt Urnash

I printed out everything (except for the lone 99) and made a couple of physical copies of this deck.

Photos and commentary in my LJ, if you're interested: little deck, big deck.

I think the bigger one is snarkier.

(Or maybe I'm just kinda snarky due t riding out to Staples for more ink tanks twice today.)

OnePotato

New Deck Launch

It seems like there should be some kind of celebration for a new deck, so please consider this a sort of minimalist launch party.

:party: Yay!

Are you going to do a little edition to sell at the exhibition?
If you do, you'll need a back design and maybe a title card.
(And maybe a box, if you're ambitious.)

So maybe no time for a party just yet...

Debra

Wow. These look really nice, EU. Congratulations!

What OnePot said...what about the backs? And it's easy to design a folding box... :D

Would you explain the name of the tarot? Why "Urnash"?

Egypt Urnash

Thanks, Potato! So far that's about all the celebration that's happened. I have some wine and really good chocolate in the fridge, but I keep on being too busy to break it out!

I've thought of making a couple decks to sell at the show, but I don't think I have the time, given that I still need to figure out how to have all the prints framed, preferably without spending $1000 or so. Besides, it's not quite done: two more Fools, three 99s, and maybe the Void court remain to be drawn, and I can't imagine selling it without those. Plus the photo paper I used to print on it is kinda clingy. There may be a small hand-made edition of decks, but probably not until after the show.

One of these decks may get used for readings during the opening, if the Tarotist who's providing those can connect with my deck. She's never been able to connect with the Thoth, and this owes a lot to it, so we'll see.

As to back designs, look in the middle of this poster test - I've had a back designed, I've just never bothered posting it.

Debra, the working name of the deck, "The Urnash Tarot", follows the really boring convention of "The <creator name> Tarot". I've been using the nom-de-plume Egypt Urnash for several years, which is an anagram of an older nom-de-plume of mine. I got the idea of an anagrammatic alias from Edward Gorey, whose art was a big influence on me. The tentative new name, "The Silicon Dawn Tarot", is of course referring to its roots in the Golden Dawn (my main references for the pips and courts were Book T and the Book of Thoth), as well as to the fact that it's made amidst the Information Age.

(Why am I up at 4:30? Who knows. My sleep cycle's been wonky.)

Debra

LOL I'm a 4:30 am kinda gal myself. Thanks for explaining...I gather that your name is some combination of Urnash letters (or actually Urnash)--and here I thought it had some Ancient Esoteric meaning...it SOUNDS ancient and esoteric!

Best wishes for completing this project successfully -- hurry go eat that chocolate!

Egypt Urnash

Heh. My legal name and the name I was born with have nothing to do with 'Egypt Urnash', or the original nom-de-plume of 'Peganthyrus' - which came from, um, a slinky black dragon gal I played on a MUCK for several years.

(edit: Also the main side effect of the 'Egypt Urnash' nom-de-plume is that I can always tell when an online networking system has global reach, as it becomes completely useless for me due to Egyptian guys hitting up anyone whose profile comes up on a search for 'Egypt'. Facebook, for instance, gives me one or two friend requests EVERY DAY.)

I really do need to dig into that chocolate soon. Preferably by getting my boyfriend to feed me some blindfolded, but just having a couple would be good.

Egypt Urnash

I've been absent because I've been busy preparing for the gallery showing of the traditional 78 cards.

show-flier-tall.jpg

If you're around Boston, feel free to come by and see these cards at sizes up to 2x3 feet! There'll also be posters of the whole deck on sale.

And once the smoke has cleared from this, I'll get back to the last handful of extra cards, and start hunting for a publisher. Thanks for all the encouragement along the way, everyone!

OnePotato

Congrats again!
Looks like it was a good party!

What a nice big space.
You filled it very well.

Egypt Urnash

Yeah, it was a pretty big party! And a hell of a ride; I'm still recovering from it. I've got first roughs for 3/4 of the the Void court now and really should get to finishing them.

I am also selling a very limited number of hand-made decks for US$130. Right now they come with the traditional 78 cards and the 99 of Pentacles; once I finish the Void court, the other 99s, and the Maiden and Mother Fools, I'll send along a little update pack. See my LJ for more details; check out the comments for the choices you get. I'll probably quit making these once it starts snowing, as I have to go outside to do spray-mounting!

(And I have no problem with people deciding they'd rather wait until I find a publisher who can deliver it for $30-40; this is a lot to pay for a deck!)