web sites

oogby

Hi all,

I started a thread a while ago about a deck I'm working on -- you can see it at http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=90134 -- and I had a random question that I thought deserved its own thread.

So I'm looking to get these printed, and since I'm doing it on my own, I want to keep costs down. I'm wondering what you would think if there was no (or a very small) little book with the deck, and instead you'd be encouraged to grab card information off of a web site I'd make. I make web sites for a living, so I can promise something professional and well-designed. (You can actually see a rough design idea over here: http://pics.livejournal.com/oogby/pic/0000yqse/g10)

Obviously, if you're responding to this post, you have internet access, so my sample set here is a bit skewed. ;)

But still, I'd love to hear you opinions.

Thanks!

Callistabell

I am in the same place that you are, printing my deck this week, deciding on packaging and all that stuff. I too have decide to leave out the little white book. I don't think that most people who want my deck will be first time tarot users, but if they are, the wealth of information that is out there, on the web, in bookstores, etc, is plenty to help them with anything. I didn't see how me, sitting down to rehash every single card for a little white booklet would help anyone. I thought it'd be a waste of time and paper. But like, you, I don't know how People will respond. I did a write up on my site about the deck, and it is minimal in style, ....so a little white book would kind of go against the idea.

I'm in agreement with YOU. I don't think it necessary and the website would be more than sufficient, in my opinion. I would not think twice about a deck that came without a booklet. In fact, I did not use the little book that came with my very first deck, I used others.

Splungeman

oogby said:
Hi all,

I started a thread a while ago about a deck I'm working on -- you can see it at http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=90134 -- and I had a random question that I thought deserved its own thread.

So I'm looking to get these printed, and since I'm doing it on my own, I want to keep costs down. I'm wondering what you would think if there was no (or a very small) little book with the deck, and instead you'd be encouraged to grab card information off of a web site I'd make. I make web sites for a living, so I can promise something professional and well-designed. (You can actually see a rough design idea over here: http://pics.livejournal.com/oogby/pic/0000yqse/g10)

Obviously, if you're responding to this post, you have internet access, so my sample set here is a bit skewed. ;)

But still, I'd love to hear you opinions.

Thanks!

Little White Books in general on this forum are quite often maligned. So the sample set is skewed for that reason as well! :) It's not hard to find a book on Tarot card reading and meanings if you want one.

The only reason you might want some kind of accompanying literature is to explain the philosophy behind the deck itself or to point out subtle symbols that might not be obvious in the cards at first glance. Also...you could put your website address on it!

I think if I was going to make a LWB it would encourage coming up with your own meanings...so it'd be like a mini-workbook.

I wouldn't worry about people without internet access. Most folks have some kind of access. You could also include a mailing address so they can send off for a printed copy of the website info for a small fee or something.

Alta

I rarely (i.e. virtually never) read the LWB's that come with cards. As noted in Splungeman's post though: 1. I may not be representative, being a very long-time reader and 2. if I wanted anything it would be about the artist and some indication of the vision behind the cards, the integrating point of view.

Alta

firecatpickles

Sometimes a little bit of extra info printed on a few additionl cards will suffice.

I can't remember off the top of head, but one of .y decks jas an extra five informational cards instead of an LWB.