Newbie with Crystals

cozmo0_4

My friend took me crystal shopping today as I've been so stressed out. She suggested I get Amethyst which she chose for me and then said I should go find 4 more crystals that took my fancy. I wandered around and collected 4 additional stones.
Rose Quartz
Celestite which strangely enough are both in natural heart type shapes
Gold topaz
Icelandic spar

I've checked the definition of what they're usful for on the Web and will look deeper into it, but there is just so much information and some of it so conflicing that im getting a headache reading it. To me it looks like 4 of the 5 are stress relief in one way or another and the last is for spiritual guides - which I believe in.

My queries are what do i do with them. Just hold them, one at a time or as a group ? At present they're in a little bag in my pocket.

Also are there any crystals you think are a 'must have' in a set.

Any books (U.K) I should read.

Thanks

Onion Budgie

Amethyst and Rose Quartz are great crystals to start off a collection with. Both are calming, relaxing stones, and can be used together. Clear Quartz would be a great addition, as it is an all-purpose crystal that increases the intensity of any other stone in its immediate vicinity.

Yes, you can simply hold them. Perhaps one at a time to begin with, so that you can appreciate and understand each individual crystal.

If you want to work with crystals in a group, then first make sure that the energies of each crystal don't conflict. If your main aim is to still and ground yourself, for example, then you might not want to hold a Carnelian and a Hematite at the same time. Carnelian (for many) is an energising stone, and would be battling against the calming centredness of the Hematite. You might end up feeling a little wonky!

As for books, I find The Essential Crystal Handbook by Simon and Sue Lilly to be very helpful. :)

cozmo0_4

Amethyst and Rose Quartz are great crystals to start off a collection with. Both are calming, relaxing stones, and can be used together. Clear Quartz would be a great addition, as it is an all-purpose crystal that increases the intensity of any other stone in its immediate vicinity.

Yes, you can simply hold them. Perhaps one at a time to begin with, so that you can appreciate and understand each individual crystal.

If you want to work with crystals in a group, then first make sure that the energies of each crystal don't conflict. If your main aim is to still and ground yourself, for example, then you might not want to hold a Carnelian and a Hematite at the same time. Carnelian (for many) is an energising stone, and would be battling against the calming centredness of the Hematite. You might end up feeling a little wonky!

As for books, I find The Essential Crystal Handbook by Simon and Sue Lilly to be very helpful. :)

Thanks for the insights and you've answered an unasked question I thought of after I posted re conflicting crystals. I'll check on that as I go along. But thanks I'll go with the one at a time for now.

I'll definitely be going back and get some clear quartz too.

I'll check out the book too. Thanks for the advice.

Padma

As far as the UK goes, Cassandra Eason has a good crystal bible. Easy colour-coded reference.

In regard to stress busters, those were good stones to choose! Also please know that crystals tend to choose us, so go with whatever crystal you pick up, and feel you can't put down!

You can use one at a time to work with. I second the clear quartz - if you get a double terminated wand, you can use it to "recharge" your crystals. And buying a wand or small tower of selenite will help cleanse them, if you place your crystals on it.

Here is a relatively stress free site for crystal reference :)
http://www.crystalvaults.com/guides-crystals/

PS if you are searching for a specific stone on that site, use the search function and place the name of the crystal, plus the word "meanings" or "uses" :)

cozmo0_4

As far as the UK goes, Cassandra Eason has a good crystal bible. Easy colour-coded reference.

In regard to stress busters, those were good stones to choose! Also please know that crystals tend to choose us, so go with whatever crystal you pick up, and feel you can't put down!

You can use one at a time to work with. I second the clear quartz - if you get a double terminated wand, you can use it to "recharge" your crystals. And buying a wand or small tower of selenite will help cleanse them, if you place your crystals on it.

Here is a relatively stress free site for crystal reference :)
http://www.crystalvaults.com/guides-crystals/

PS if you are searching for a specific stone on that site, use the search function and place the name of the crystal, plus the word "meanings" or "uses" :)

Thank you for your advice and what a cracking link. I've tabbed it so I can read through it any time I need.
I'll check out the book too.

I didn't realise that the crystals chose you I just got what I found pretty although the Rose Quartz was the one I kept going back to.

Anjali88

I am attracted to a moonstone bracelet from a nearby store .I have decided to buy one.
Can it be worn with the other stones like amethyst,green Aventine,clear quartz ,smoky quartz ,tigers eye ,carnelian (all in one bracelet )
Also can anyone throw any light on the benefits of wearing moonstone?

I also wear a coral ,will these stones have any negative impact to it?

finally can anyone tell me the conflicting stones for lapis lazuli

Thanks in advance

readings.by.mia

Hello cozmo0_4, I see you've recieved very nice advice and I'd like to give my 2 cents as well.

This is a very useful exersice for begginners and experienced, that helps you create an unique bond with your crystal. At first it may take a while to master, but with some time you will do it pretty fast. If you practise this exercise with one stone per week you'll get to notice how it becomes easier and you'll feel the interaction between you and your crystal.

First of all, get comfortable either laid, seated or standing. Your crystal will be in your active hand. Take conscience of your heart chakra where you'll start feeling or visualizing a green flame. This flame gets bigger and bigger as you breathe and you're aware of the energy you're concentrating at that point.

When that flame is fully alive, you will start sending that energy from the center of your chest to your shoulder, your arm, your hand, until it reaches the crystal, filling your stone with the green and lovely energy that comes from your heart. Focus on the stone in your hand, its weight, its temperature, it is very possible you'll feel changes in the stone, perhaps it'll be heavier.

When you feel the stone is filled with your energy, take it with your receptive hand and feel how the energy of the stone goes from it to your heart, filling you with its unique features.

Once you master this exchange, you can start taking the stone with your active hand, placing your receptive hand above it and visualize the how the energy flows in circle, from your heart to the stone through your active arm, from the stone to your heart through your receptive arm.

I wish this is useful and I have explained properly! Enjoy your crystals!

cozmo0_4

Hello cozmo0_4, I see you've recieved very nice advice and I'd like to give my 2 cents as well.

This is a very useful exersice for begginners and experienced, that helps you create an unique bond with your crystal. At first it may take a while to master, but with some time you will do it pretty fast. If you practise this exercise with one stone per week you'll get to notice how it becomes easier and you'll feel the interaction between you and your crystal.

First of all, get comfortable either laid, seated or standing. Your crystal will be in your active hand. Take conscience of your heart chakra where you'll start feeling or visualizing a green flame. This flame gets bigger and bigger as you breathe and you're aware of the energy you're concentrating at that point.

When that flame is fully alive, you will start sending that energy from the center of your chest to your shoulder, your arm, your hand, until it reaches the crystal, filling your stone with the green and lovely energy that comes from your heart. Focus on the stone in your hand, its weight, its temperature, it is very possible you'll feel changes in the stone, perhaps it'll be heavier.

When you feel the stone is filled with your energy, take it with your receptive hand and feel how the energy of the stone goes from it to your heart, filling you with its unique features.

Once you master this exchange, you can start taking the stone with your active hand, placing your receptive hand above it and visualize the how the energy flows in circle, from your heart to the stone through your active arm, from the stone to your heart through your receptive arm.

I wish this is useful and I have explained properly! Enjoy your crystals!

Wow ! Thank you for a wonderful explanation and I will try this when I next spend some time alone with my crystals.

My tigers Eye is the one that's really calling to me lately, but is giving me heavy thoughts when I meditate. So I think this will be really useful to concentrate on the crystal rather than the meditation.