Ammolite, anyone?

Red raven

Just wondering about the properties of this stone. I find it very pretty, and my dragon deck likes to be kept with a little piece.

Do any of you use this stone? I hadn't heard of it up until last year.

catlin

Hi red raven,

I have to admit that I have never heard of Ammolite. I know Ammonite which are also called Nautilus, a nice fossile. Could you discribe the Ammolite stone to me?

the hermit

Ammolite is the name gemologists and jewelers give to opalized Ammonite fossils that are most often found within the Black Bearpaw shale deposits of Southern Alberta, Canada.

The opalizing gives the fossils a "mother-of-pearl" sheen that gives them gemstone-like quality and makes them a popular pendant stone.

Opal is made up of tiny uniform spheres of transparent hard silica, which fit together in an orderly three dimensional frame, sitting in a "bath" of silica solution. Light passes through the transparent spheres in a direct line, but when it hits the 'bath' of silica, it is bent and deflected at different angles, thus producing a rainbow or "mother-of-pearl" effect. The name opal means "to see a change in colour."

Opalized Ammolite fossils simply form when the silica minerals replace the original shell of the Ammonite.

Since Ammolite is simply an Ammonite fossil it has the attributes that any other fossil would have...
such as past-life work, longevity and protection

cjtarot

Hermit,

Your amazing..

Thank you for the info..now I have to see this beautiful soundings stone...

Blessings,

Cj

Strega

catlin said:
I have to admit that I have never heard of Ammolite.
Same here... :)

Thanks for the info, the hermit.

Red raven

ah. Thank you, Hermit!

Kyrielle

I think I might actually have this stone. I bought it under the name of ammonite, but it has opal-like shimmering stripes running crosswise to the spiral -- like the stripes on a nautilus shell. Mine is very small, but the vendor had similar ones around six to eight inches across as well.

-- Kyrielle