Tarot Books Index - Discussion and Books to Add

irisa

Yes working fine for me now. Thanks Rodney!

irisa :)

gregory

It's a great list - but the FONT size makes it borderline unusable, for me - it takes so long to find anything on the page with inch high letters on it...

rwcarter

gregory, the idea behind the large letters was to do just the opposite - make it easier to find the listings that begin with a certain letter. Is it really the size or is it the whiteness? Does the large link to supporting Aeclectic through purchasing books have the same effect on you?

gregory

rwcarter said:
gregory, the idea behind the large letters was to do just the opposite - make it easier to find the listings that begin with a certain letter. Is it really the size or is it the whiteness? Does the large link to supporting Aeclectic through purchasing books have the same effect on you?
If you are asking seriously - all the large letter bits just make me want to get the hell past them.... But the support Aeclectic links wouldn't work for me with books, sadly - I usually buy used through abe or from bookdepository ! If I were to buy one from amazon - yes, I guess it would. But NOT because of its size - that is a real turn off. Sorry.

Smaller and perhaps COLOURED text in bold (yellow is good) - but the big font just means you have far further to scroll to get to what you want ! It's annoying more than anything.... Does ANYONE see what I mean ? Even the links in the thread mean you end up seeing the HUGE letters on the NEXT post to the one you were after....

ETa - it isn't the LETTERS (alphabet) as such - it's the opening of each post: I can't get into the thread just now but where it says BOOKS THAT CONTAIN JUST READINGS in 36 point font or something. Arrggh.

rwcarter

Hmmm. Let me think about that and play around with some different things when I get home tonight.

rwcarter

gregory said:
If you are asking seriously - all the large letter bits just make me want to get the hell past them.... But the support Aeclectic links wouldn't work for me with books, sadly - I usually buy used through abe or from bookdepository ! If I were to buy one from amazon - yes, I guess it would. But NOT because of its size - that is a real turn off. Sorry.
Sorry I've only just now had a chance to come back to this.

The Support Aeclectic link works for Amazon, Tarot Garden, House of Tarot, The Tarot Chest and Alida, so it's for more than just buying books. I labeled it as being for books because that's the forum the link is in. I hear what you're saying about the size of that link (which is the size=+2 vb code tag), but I think it's important for those who utilize the resources at Aeclectic to know there's a way to support Aeclectic through the purchases they're going to make anyway. A lot of folks aren't aware that they can even do that.

gregory said:
Smaller and perhaps COLOURED text in bold (yellow is good) - but the big font just means you have far further to scroll to get to what you want ! It's annoying more than anything.... Does ANYONE see what I mean ? Even the links in the thread mean you end up seeing the HUGE letters on the NEXT post to the one you were after....
Per my understanding of vb code, the next smaller text size is normal size. As for using color, I think more people would have an adverse reaction to color choice than font size. Another reason I chose the +2 font (and centered the letters, deck titles, etc.) is for folks who visually scan the page instead of using in page searching for find what they're looking for - it makes it easier to find that information at a quick glance.

gregory said:
ETa - it isn't the LETTERS (alphabet) as such - it's the opening of each post: I can't get into the thread just now but where it says BOOKS THAT CONTAIN JUST READINGS in 36 point font or something. Arrggh.
That goes with what I was getting at above. For folks who are visually scanning, the bigger letters jump out to let folks know where they are in the index. I'm not as wedded to the size of that info as I am to the Support Aeclectic link, but if I make that info regular size, it'll get lost visually because of the size of the Support Aeclectic link.

Let me think on this some more. And if anyone else has any input, I'd love to hear it.

Rodney

gregory

Psst.

[size=+1]Supporting Aeclectic When You Purchase Books[/size]

I can hack that. It's +1.....

You could even go

But if I am a lone voice in the wilderness, I will go away again....

rwcarter

gregory said:
Psst.

I can hack that. It's +1.....

You could even go

But if I am a lone voice in the wilderness, I will go away again....
Don't go away. You just taught me something. It never would've occurred to me to even try size=+1 cause I would've thought it would've ended up normal size.... :| (Although I did try size=+1.5 and that didn't work.)

So if I change the "This post contains...." and Supporting Aeclectic link to size=+1 in each post, would that make the centered letters/deck titles/etc OK as size=+2? As far as I know, there are no global replaces, so I have to do a lot of copying and pasting. And I'd rather only have to make that kind of change once.

Rodney

gregory

I would be HAPPY to do it for you if you like. Anything to get rid of the +2 stuff.

But - you could copy each post into Word or whatever (as in as if you were replying to it, so the vb code shows) and then do a search and replace - find +2, replace with +1.... Then just paste the result back in place of what you had - and try a preview........

You are talking to a very lazy person..... Short cuts are my life !

Centering holds up whatever the size. It will go to the centre - wherever that should be.

PS - for some reason non-integer sizes never work. Very sad. :D

rwcarter

gregory said:
I would be HAPPY to do it for you if you like. Anything to get rid of the +2 stuff.

But - you could copy each post into Word or whatever (as in as if you were replying to it, so the vb code shows) and then do a search and replace - find +2, replace with +1.... Then just paste the result back in place of what you had - and try a preview........

You are talking to a very lazy person..... Short cuts are my life !

Centering holds up whatever the size. It will go to the centre - wherever that should be.

PS - for some reason non-integer sizes never work. Very sad. :D
By the time I do all the copying and pasting into and out of Word, I could've just edited each thread and pasted +1 over +2. :D

As for laziness, I don't think that's necessarily a vice. I think most inventors are "lazy" people who feel like there's a better way to do something and have the intelligence and/or financial wherewithal to get it done.

As for what you said about centering, was that a "Yes, please replace +2 with +1 everywhere!"?

Rodney