Size & Cardstock of Froud's Faeries

Calcifer

Thanks in advance....

Can someone who has the deck tell me something about the cardstock/durability and size of Froud's Faery Oracle ? I'd love to order it, but with the tight budget I'm on I have to consider all of the angles...

Thanks again !
Michael

darkbookworm13

I have the Faeries Oracle, and have found the card stock to be quite nice. It is not too thin, or too thick, and the cards shuffle and spread nicely. I would say you can't shuffle them really rough, I accidentally bent some of mine a bit anticipating the cards to be much harder to shuffle than they were. I also have to mention they have a wonderful old book smell to them, even two years after buying them. Every time I get them out I am transported to a ancient, secret library full of old tomes and scrolls, all from the smell carried in the cards.

The colors on the backs of the cards is a picture of various Topsie Turvets (one of the Fae Brian has captured in his artwork in this deck), they are reversible, and every way you turn them, new faces appear. I know that this website has sample pictures of some of the cards, but I don't know how to attach images at this moment.

I recommend getting this deck, as it is my favorite deck out of any that I have owned. I still learn new things every time I talk to the Fae, or even if I am not expecting it. They are a complex bunch, and can be full of mischief, so if you do welcome them into your home, be aware that strange things might start happening if they haven't already. I have found that offering them choice treats like honeyed porridge in a little bowl is an appreciated gift to them, and I always try to offer them whatever candy or sweets I might be eating as well.

I hope some of the other members of this forum can post some pictures of the cards for you, I think they would be an amazing addition to your life.

*grins at images portrayed to you, some people might think I was crazy, LOL*

Calcifer

Thanks !
Sorry for the delay... we had some serious health issues here 9not myself though).

I'm looking forward to getting these - maybe by the end of the month if all goes well. Can you perhaps tell me the size of the cards :) ???

Many thanks !
Michael

kalliope

Thanks !
Sorry for the delay... we had some serious health issues here 9not myself though).

I'm looking forward to getting these - maybe by the end of the month if all goes well. Can you perhaps tell me the size of the cards :) ???

Many thanks !
Michael

I was near my cards, so I took them out to measure for you. :)

The Faerie Oracle cards are 3" x 5".
For comparison, the Morgan Greer cards are 2.75" x (just shy of) 4.75".

Here's a pic of the two:

Attachments

• FaerieOracle_vsMG.jpg
    FaerieOracle_vsMG.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 209

darkbookworm13

Thanks !

Many thanks !
Michael

I am glad I could help. Sorry to hear health problems came up, those are always tough on everyone. Hopefully things calm down for you so life isn't so chaotic.

Calcifer

Thanks everyone....
I am happy to report that according to amazon.com my Froud's Faeries have shipped as of this morning. I am soooo looking forward to checking it out. I doubt I'll have it for Halloween - but it will certainly be here for Samhain (Nov 6th this year) - and I hope to be out in a remote area camping that night. How perfect for a first go at them !

Thanks again !
Michael

darkbookworm13

Any word on receiving your FO deck? I am excited to see what you think of them, and what excitement the Fae bring to your life.

Calcifer

The Faeries arrived a little over a week ago, and I hate to say it, but my schedule has been so hairy this week that all I've been able to do look them over at night just before bed. I did start the book last night though :).

I absolutely love the art work, and the book's writing style is very engaging - I'm enjoying both immensely. My one and only gripe is that the cards are fairly well what I'd call "flimsy". Maybe it's me - I have a pretty strong penchant for heavy card stock; especially since I've been using the Gilded Royale exclusively for some months now.

Anyway, I love them and maybe even this afternoon/evening I'll be able to get out and give them a trial run.

Michael

darkbookworm13

I understand if you are used to a much thicker card stock, using the FO might feel strange at first. I have found that traditional shuffling doesn't work well, and the Fae don't like it when I try. Instead, I lay all the cards out on a cloth, and mix, move, or shift the cards that way all over the cloth. Seems to work much better for my deck, and I don't worry about harming the cards in any way.

Glad you like them, and the book too. I love rereading the book, every time I find new things popping out at me to teach me something. Have you tried any meditating with the cards? I found that the Fae can be quite vocal sometimes. I also found that they like when I leave them out offerings of sweets, or porridge with honey and butter in it.