Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

The Only Tarot Book You'll Ever Need . . .

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Books & Media

Citizen

nord_drache 
Citizen

When I started pursuing tarot after I got my deck and found only having online resources and the LWB insufficient I went hunting for a book.
In a local Coles book I purchased The Only Tarot Book You'll Ever Need . . . by Skye Alexander.
So far it is my only book, but even though it is Waite deck based - I find it is clearly written and seems to cover all the fundamentals and then some, giving me clarity in my readings.

Am I amongst the few who have this compact paperback?

A question as well . . .
How do you know when to expand your library, and what is a good companion for what one considers a good foundation book?

Jim
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Citizen

3ill.yazi 
Citizen

I'm often suspicious of titles like that, but then my favorite book for the RWS happens to be the horribly-titled The Easiest Way To Learn The Tarot Ever by Dusty White. I think that book and his advanced tarot secrets are essential.

I frankly got burned out on all the fairly similar tarot 101 books out there, and started to read more about the tarot's history to understand it better. I think people only need a couple starter books --hearing good things about Holistic Tarot-- but then they should start working from intuition, which White is a good help for, and also learn some history. The account of tarot history in most published tarot books is pretty awful. Wicked Pack of Cards and Reading the Marseilles Tarot are good books to look at the history of the tarot and it's imagery. IMO
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Citizen

Citrin 
Citizen

At times nowadays I feel like I spend more time reading about tarot cards than actually using the tarot cards... In my opinion that's not a good thing! Having one book for guidance in the beginning is enough if you ask me. When you've done lots of readings and you're starting to wonder about different methods and traditions, that's when it might be time to purchase some new books. Just my thoughts.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Citizen

nord_drache 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ill.yazi View Post
I'm often suspicious of titles like that, but then my favorite book for the RWS happens to be the horribly-titled The Easiest Way To Learn The Tarot Ever by Dusty White. I think that book and his advanced tarot secrets are essential.

I frankly got burned out on all the fairly similar tarot 101 books out there, and started to read more about the tarot's history to understand it better. I think people only need a couple starter books --hearing good things about Holistic Tarot-- but then they should start working from intuition, which White is a good help for, and also learn some history. The account of tarot history in most published tarot books is pretty awful. Wicked Pack of Cards and Reading the Marseilles Tarot are good books to look at the history of the tarot and it's imagery. IMO
I found Skye Alexander's book covers much of the extra essentials well - including side notes that give good perspective as well as journaling readings and such.
You mentioned the books by Dusty White and commented he helps with the intuitive component - which book specifically - as this is an area I think I need to work on.

Citrin much of what you say I think is very valid andis appreciated.

Jim
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Citizen

3ill.yazi 
Citizen

Jim, that's much of what Dusty does in "Easiest ..." The book is largely a series of games and exercises to help build up your own associations with the cards. Advanced Tarot Secrets, the second book, does more, but also gets more into the nuts and bolts of doing it for a living and doing things like manifestation.

He has a free podcast if you want to check his shpiel out first, too.

Eta: I started a few threads based on Dusty's book here in the study groups section of AT
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Citizen

garmonbozia 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ill.yazi View Post
The Easiest Way To Learn The Tarot Ever
Wicked Pack of Cards
Reading the Marseilles Tarot
I highly recommend all three of these books as well.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Citizen

garmonbozia 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nord_drache View Post
You mentioned the books by Dusty White and commented he helps with the intuitive component - which book specifically - as this is an area I think I need to work on.
http://www.amazon.ca/Easiest-Way-Lea.../dp/1419692887

This book also serves as the textbook/workbook for Dusty's tarot class which he has just started up again a couple of weeks ago (if you are interested in something more formal). He just redesigned a new website to house all his class videos. The classes are currently on sale for $5/week if you sign up before the end of April.

http://www.easytarotlessons.com/members/register-here/

The live class is on Saturdays. He also does a free live class on Wednesdays. He also has some of his past podcasts and free classes visible to the whole public if you want to sample some.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Citizen

nord_drache 
Citizen

3ill.yazi & garmonbozia thanks for all the info I will mention it if I decide to pursue some of this.
Jim
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Citizen

chongjasmine 
Citizen

I also got this book recently.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Citizen

urbandryad 
Citizen

I keep seeing this book at the book store and hesitating about buying it. I have a few tarot books now, including the Tarot Bible by Sarah Bartlett and an older one called Secrets of Tarot by Annie Lionnet. I also have all those books that came with some of my decks. I guess there's always room for books. X) But I need a bookshelf for them. Maybe I'll get this book after all, its only $9 anyways.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.