Happy Mother's Day and Sobriety Birthday to me!

Grizabella

This year, May 5th marks my 30th anniversary of sobriety. And of course Mother's Day is this month, too. My birthday and Mother's Day have brought me some early gifts:

Tarot Beyond the Basics by Anthony Louis
Cartomancy with the Lenormand and the Tarot by Patrick Dunn
The accompanying books for Ian Daniels Vampyre, Llewellyn and Tarot of Ceremonial Magick by Lon DuQuette
The Tarot of St. Petersburg and accompanying book

I've been wanting and needing the Ancestral Path book for years now, but that one is always so spendy that I didn't get that one.

I'm taking my Tarot knowledge to a further place now and it's great. I used to be on a nursing path and we were required to increase our education every year, which seems like a good idea to me. I'm older now and I don't learn as easily or as quickly, but I think continuing with self-education on Tarot and Lenormand is a good idea like with any other profession.

For the sake of being of help to others considering those books, I'll start a thread for each later on when I've gotten into them more. Not the books that go with decks----but Cartomancy and Tarot Beyond the Basics is what I'll make separate threads on.

rwcarter

Congrats, Griz!

There are already threads on both the Dunn and Louis books, although you're welcome to start new ones. Be aware with the Dunn book that he's NOT using traditional methods for the Lenormand. I was quite far along in the book, scratching my head constantly over how what he was saying didn't jibe with what little I do know about Lenormand when I read the back cover to discover it was an intuitive approach. And looking for that post reminded me that discussion of Lenormand books now happens in the Lenormand forum, not in TB&M.

The Dunn thread - Cartomancy with the Lenormand and the Tarot: Create Meaning & Gain Insight from the C

Rodney

Grizabella

Thank you, Rodney. I'll contribute to that link you gave me. Now that you mention it, I think the Lenormand sub-forum would be the right place to discuss the book because Lenormand is put first in the title and I think it's more about that. I just got into the book for a few pages before I went to sleep last night and I haven't gotten far enough to wonder about what approach he's taking to Lenormand. I just figured it would be the traditional way of reading it, augmented by Tarot. If he's talking about the intuitive reading of Lenormand in the sense that we can read Tarot intuitively, then I don't see how that could work with Lenormand. Time will tell what I can make use of from the book. I've found that even when I learn of something I end up not being able to work with, I still gain knowledge of things that can be helpful in general.

The book Tarot Beyond the Basics is quite interesting. I'll have to read it over more than once to fully understand it, but I'm glad I have it to add to my Tarot library. I think it's gonna be one of my keepers.

Now I'm just waiting for accompanying book for Tarot of Ceremonial Magick to arrive so I can learn about that deck, too. It should be here any day.

Cocobird55

Congratulations on your 30 years!

Grizabella

Thank you! The big day is tomorrow so if I make it to midnight, I think I've got this. :p :thumbsup:

As I'm reading Tarot Beyond the Basics, I'm extremely pleased with this book and would recommend it for anyone's Tarot library. I have my library of books I consider to be "keepers" to return to over and over again as the years go by. This one is definitely in that category.

Cartomancy with the Lenormand and Tarot I've skimmed and it seems interesting but I'm not sure yet how it will turn out that it will apply to my work.