critique

The crowned one

I agree. Also, you'll get opinions even if you don't ask for them because that's what people do on discussion forums by way of discussing things.

No one can dictate the style of art that people "should" like and by the same token I wish people would not try to dictate the style of critique.

I agree, and if it is a style of art you do not like, there is little point in critiquing the art. It is why I rarely post on those threads. Occasionally if I think a symbolic aspect ( subjectively) is blatantly wrong or amazingly head on, I will say something, as at that point I am commenting on objects within the art, not the art itself.

gregory

I agree. Also, you'll get opinions even if you don't ask for them because that's what people do on discussion forums by way of discussing things.

No one can dictate the style of art that people "should" like and by the same token I wish people would not try to dictate the style of critique.
I agree about STYLE - but calling for politeness is fair enough, I think. "I hate that card; it sucks" is neither helpful nor necessary :D

I don't think I have ever done that.

Yet.... })

Debra

"I love that card! It's my favorite!" seems to be ok. So "I hate that card! It gives me the creeps" should be ok too. In my opinion. Why am I even on this thread? Never mind.

gregory

"I love that card! It's my favorite!" seems to be ok. So "I hate that card! It gives me the creeps" should be ok too. In my opinion. Why am I even on this thread? Never mind.

"It gives me the creeps" is fine in my book. "It sucks" is not.... And you are here because you care :*

Zephyros

Many have said that if you post your work in public you have to expect opinions, but what about deserving them? I think that cheer leading "I love your deck" posts actually do a disservice to the artist, since they are about as useful as "I hate your deck." But I don't see a lot of real and useful criticism or discussion on the part of either posters of artists of their work at all, positively or negatively.

In fact, one of the things that can... irk me... is the usual line saying "that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it." Let's say some one creates an esoteric deck, let's say it's a Thoth clone. I can't judge the artistic merit, which is subjective, but even discussions as to the esoteric merits of a deck are somewhat killed by that statement, even though the symbolism could be completely off and could benefit from further input. I am a little biased towards the Thoth, but a clone of any deck does entail a certain amount of research, which may or may not have been done. I think that here of all places, esoteric merit can and should be discussed without falling to, pardon the expression, New Age line of thinking.

gregory

Many have said that if you post your work in public you have to expect opinions, but what about deserving them? I think that cheer leading "I love your deck" posts actually do a disservice to the artist, since they are about as useful as "I hate your deck." But I don't see a lot of real and useful criticism.
That is absolutely true. Not least about some of the best known creators who have kneejerk fan clubs.

In fact, one of the things that can... irk me... is the usual line saying "that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it." Let's say some one creates an esoteric deck, let's say it's a Thoth clone. I can't judge the artistic merit, which is subjective, but even discussions as to the esoteric merits of a deck are somewhat killed by that statement, even though the symbolism could be completely off. I think that here of all places, esoteric merit can and should be discussed without falling to, pardon the expression, New Age line of thinking.
You make a VERY good point there, that I shall have to chew on before I say anything again :D

OnePotato

What happens when either a deck creator, or a deck critic is insincere?
The result is an un-level playing field.
Somebody profits, but the honest people suffer because serious discussion is degraded into nonsense.

Zephyros

gregory, I edited my post at the same time you posted yours, and added a sentence or two :)

But anyway, I know I'm long winded, love to read myself and ramble a lot, but I guess what I would like to see is a higher level of discussion in the Creating forum. I could ask for a lot more, like I did here,
here and here, but that's off topic and part of the larger criticisms I have with some aspects of the Tarot world in general.

gregory

What happens when either a deck creator, or a deck critic is insincere?
The result is an un-level playing field.
Somebody profits, but the honest people suffer because serious discussion is degraded into nonsense.
That is very profound, I have to say.

IF (big if) I ever join in one of those threads again, I shall be trying to do better, but I don't THINK I have been insincere in one - just overly inflammatory...

nicky

Both statements are pretty meaningless - if either of those were followed by the why it could be worth reading / posting...