Reviews of tarot decks and books (split from Wow! never had.. slating)

Erzebet

You have a solid point Baba, I've noticed this too. Perhaps blogs and other avenues are better places to share your creative work!

I noticed this morning that sacredashes closed her Diary of a Broken Soul thread about her deck creation yesterday! :( All her attatchments are deleted too. From the changed 1st post, did this and the other thread cause her to do this? Was someone spitting venom about her work as she said? This is really upsetting, I've been a eager reader and lover of her deck creation since I joined ATF, I loved her art! What's going on? What a loss.

franniee

The crowned one said:
I read the "review". In this case it is not a review as the negatives for the deck were not explained ( silly is not a explanation) and it was more of a pounding against the "overly positive" responses of this site to the deck then to the deck itself. This is not a impartial review it is a emotional opinion... he feels to much sunshine is being blown toward this deck and it does not deserve it. That is the thrust of his "review".

He is mocking the deck with sarcasm( negativity) rather then reviewing it intelligent thought.(Criticism).

I do not support the mockery style of review.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. This "reviewer" if you will, offered no intelligent thought in his post! I will not be told how to feel, and I don't respond to sarcasm either. A review such as this makes me read a sentence or two and stop - I am not interested in what he has to say - it is all emotion and worthless..... I want to know the facts and decide for myself.

Umbrae

baba-prague said:
What no-one has said so far is that there is inherently something about forums that tends to cause flare-ups. It's one reason I haven't shown anything much here this year. I think somehow that blogs are a better online form for discussing anything that can get emotive. I suppose that on my blog, commentators/critics are aware of being in MY space (illusory, but still, it does feel that way) and so do apply more of the "politesse" that Scion describes.

Forums are often much too like public free-for-alls complete with crowds yelling "Fight, fight, fight!" and egging on their favourite - however well moderated they are.

Indeed. A great example exists in this thread (no cirom, I'm not talking about you), where a history exists between two posters. When one poster 'cherry picks' and critiques the 'lameness' of the other poster, the grinding of an axe does not qualify as a non-biased critique, and is as worthy as ‘My dog can do better’. Tis nothing more than a flame. Yet such can be done in a manner to escape the notice of and at times even win the support of some.

In my initial post I focused only on an industry wide practice, not the practice of providing critiques on a forum by and for forum members.

Hooked on TdM

Umbrae said:
Indeed. A great example exists in this thread (no cirom, I'm not talking about you), where a history exists between two posters. When one poster 'cherry picks' and critiques the 'lameness' of the other poster, the grinding of an axe does not qualify as a non-biased critique, and is as worthy as ‘My dog can do better’. Tis nothing more than a flame. Yet such can be done in a manner to escape the notice of and at times even win the support of Moddies.

Or escape the notice of other posters like me, who are unaware of this history. I'm starting to figure out that if there is some over the top response, that makes no sense to me, chances are there is a history there. Makes naviagating posts difficult at times...

Hooked

Baroli

Or escape the notice of other posters like me, who are unaware of this history. I'm starting to figure out that if there is some over the top response, that makes no sense to me, chances are there is a history there. Makes naviagating posts difficult at times...

I know how you feel Hooked. It took me the better part of a year to figure out a lot of "history" that goes on between various peoples, through reading the archives (very helpful I might add, and in some cases extremely funny and brilliant). It does get in the way of having a meaningful discussion, because the discussions get side-tracked to the personal vendettas and petty jealousies of others.

Le Fanu

Gosh, I never pick up on this. I just sail blithely through the forum enjoying myself!

It´s a funny set-up this - and any - forum; I mean you begin to feel that you know people, their tastes, what riles them. And they live so far away and can reply so simultaneously. I know the marvels of the internet are old hat now. But maybe I have a medieval mindset that I just can´t help finding something truly magical about it.

One point I meant to make here; I read a fascinating article about how internet forums can make or break "brands". Much in the way we are talking about here. These forums have very little true control and this - for some - is their strength. But big brands are having to learn how to harness public support via these forums. I mean, there are big brands - Louis Vuitton, BMW mini, Prada, basically all the products of the luxury sector etc - who are trying desperately to control what is being said about their products. And discovering that it just isn´t possible.

If the consumer doesn´t like the product or thinks it´s shoddy or copied or whatever, then they say so. And are not afraid to. And vice Versa; if a product is good; it can amplify the success, spread like wildfire in the relevant communities and make or break a product. Im not necessarily saying we can do this with tarot. But you certainly see for example how products like (just an example) MRP products get (deservedly!) raved about here and then develop a community fan-base which would be unthinkable without the net.

Just a thought. That big creators of big brands are discovering that you really cannot control what people want to say or share. These online communities are actually quite strong.

Debra

Ack.

The point I was trying to make isn't about tone. You can't control someone's tone, you can only hope for civility.

I am suggesting there's a parallel between the presentation by the artist and the response by the audience.

Artists are hoping for high standards for audience feedback-- clearly articulated responses that focus on specific elements or aspects of a deck, rather than just a global "I LOVE it!" or "I HATE it." Thoughtful, well-stated, detailed, appropriate writing (preferably in complete sentences and without too many typos). I'm hoping for that, too.

At the same time, deck artists should have high standards for their work, which requires consciously working to use artistic skills and knowledge so the elements of the work are aesthetically and symbolically effective.

Becoming a better artist AND becoming a better writer--in the ideal world, a forum discussion might help with both.

cirom

Thank you for re-reading what I actually wrote. Your apologies were unnecessary but nevertheless gracious of you and well received.