Have you ever been a deck snob?

karenquilter

Whatever works for you is okay with me. You're the one doing the reading, and should be able to pick your deck.
K

morticia monroe

Nah,,,

We are all our own entities...vive le difference!

FaireMaiden

I couldn't care less what deck someone reads with... or if they read with runes, chicken feathers, or spare change in their pocket, *lol*

I've already made-up my mind about them long before they've pulled out a deck... their 'energetic presence' far-and-away precedes their verbage or their tools.

Le Fanu

Aren´t we talking about two different things here? I mean there is the issue of people having the right to choose their own "medium" as it were, and their capacity to read with anything whatsoever, which no-one would question.

Then presumably we´re also talking about those who pull out decks we would consider naff, which is a judgment which we may have because of the artwork...

I know that a light hearted, fun deck like the Halloween can give good readings. Or even the Vanessa (though to be honest Ive never even seen the Vanessa. Shows what a snob I am. LOL!)... and perhaps we would titter if someone brought out their Power Animal tarot. We wouldn´t be questioning their tarot skills, just their judgment in other matters. Don´t ask me to specify; Im not sure I know.

I find that I used to be much more of a snob than I am now. I think, like anything, the deeper you get into something, the harder it is to be dismissive. You end up concluding that all decks have something for somebody... But we´re all a little bit snobbish Im sure. It´s a way we can defend our choices, remind ourselves that we´re doing what we want to do.

VGimlet

Well, kind of, but not in any meaningful way any longer.

I had to start changing my perception as I started using more decks. I got awesome readings from decks I frankly loathe. Decks I would be embarassed to use in front of anyone. I will not name them, because a deck I once looked down my nose at may be anothers gem. I might not whip those decks out to use myself, but if someone else did, I wouldn't judge them.

SolSionnach

I am most definitely an unrepentant tarot snob. So there!

KarlThomas

Me too! I'd love to appear more evolved, or even be that, but part of this is art, and I have very strong visual likes and dislikes. Some decks I see as an insult to the tarot, and completely roll my eyes at them. I allow myself this
luxury freely.

I've never had a reader whip out anything I consider lame, but life is long.

One of the best best best looking readers ever. NYC, midtown, dead of night and raining, walking a block with 20 bucks in my pocket, having already decided to spend it on something before returning to the car.

Crone at an unused metal cafe outdoor table, ancient Rider Waite in her gnarled hands. 20 bucks exchanged, sitting down, watching her slowly turn over the cards, I see lightly frayed corners, faded images, many miles on these cards. There are less than 78, but minors are turning up. She is speaking of my general outlook, and tells me she is reading my aura as we sit.

She does not delve into meanings or positions, simply creates a fan, telling me I am basically a good person, but I've had my difficulties. Like the understanding that you've just stepped in something wet and your socks will not recover soon, it gradually dawns she is a total scammer, who doesn't know suits from shinola. Confirmation comes in her attempts to upsell me to a $200 aura cleansing.

I honestly absolutely loved it, and left her quite respectfully. Go figure.

SolSionnach

KarlThomas, GREAT story! :D

I, of course, completely agree with you re: a strong visual sense. I guess I'm an elitist, as opposed to the completely PC attitude that most people have on this board. Not that I think that there is anything wrong with either attitude (oooh, how PC of me!).

:)

karen0205

I don't think I'm a snob about what decks people use to do readings, I find it interesting to see what they chose to use. One woman I know does so many readings, she just wears decks out and grabs the next one on the shelf. I don't think she even cares about what the artwork looks like. It's just a tool to her, the real gift is within herself. Every time I see her she has a new deck.

I do think I was a snob about buying decks for myself. I thought that my ability to read was dictated by how much I connected to a deck. It isn't. I can do readings with any deck. I was completely against the photo-collage type decks. I thought that wasn't really art and I wanted to have 'artsy' kinds of decks. I thought they would be deeper, have more meaning or something equally as dumb as that. Well, I found out very quickly that some of my favorite decks are the photo-collage decks! The Prague, BBCats, etc. I now don't eliminate any deck style as one I would buy. Live and learn I guess.

nisaba

KarlThomas said:
Crone at an unused metal cafe outdoor table, ancient Rider Waite in her gnarled hands. 20 bucks exchanged, sitting down, watching her slowly turn over the cards, I see lightly frayed corners, faded images, many miles on these cards. There are less than 78, but minors are turning up. She is speaking of my general outlook, and tells me she is reading my aura as we sit.

She does not delve into meanings or positions, simply creates a fan, telling me I am basically a good person, but I've had my difficulties. Like the understanding that you've just stepped in something wet and your socks will not recover soon, it gradually dawns she is a total scammer, who doesn't know suits from shinola. Confirmation comes in her attempts to upsell me to a $200 aura cleansing.

I honestly absolutely loved it, and left her quite respectfully. Go figure.

Sometimes something like that is just what you need.