The Vulpine Tarot

Mabon-Tail

The Vulpine Tarot - In Progress

I've been working on a tarot deck for a few years now, called the Vulpine Tarot. Artistically, I've been inspired by the works of Don Bluth, and tarot-wise, the bulk of my inspiration comes from The Witches Tarot by Ellen Cannon Reed.

Check out The Vulpine Tarot here.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted here on this thread as I post each new card or new tarot-related journal entry to my deviantART page.

rwcarter

Generally, I like what I see. But the style of the foxes looks familiar. Did you have an older thread about this deck?

While I like the style of the font, a couple of the letters in it give me pause. The "r" looks like a "p" to me and the "t" looks like an "r". So "The Stars" looks like "The Sraps" to me.

Also, is there any reason why you're putting the Minor card identification on 3 lines and the Major identification on 2 lines instead of putting both on 1 line? Putting it all on one line would allow you to reduce the size of that huge black border on the bottom of the card (reducing the overall size of the card) or at least more equally distribute the border along the top and bottom if you want to keep that particular card size.

I look forward to seeing more.

Rodney

cardlady22

This deck-in-progress has been on my radar for quite some time. One of my favorite Pokemon evolutions is Vulpix ~ Ninetails, so I really couldn't help getting grabbed by the concept!

Mabon-Tail

rwcarter said:
Generally, I like what I see. But the style of the foxes looks familiar. Did you have an older thread about this deck?
I'm not sure about an older thread, but I do have an Aeclectic listing here.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/vulpine/

rwcarter said:
While I like the style of the font, a couple of the letters in it give me pause. The "r" looks like a "p" to me and the "t" looks like an "r." So "The Stars" looks like "The Sraps" to me.
I'll be willing to bet that to some people, the lowercase "g" would look like a cursive "z."The font is called Beowulf Modern. I think it looks a little bit like another font called Burton's Nightmare. I originally used another font that wasn't nearly as stylish as what I'm using now, but I can't remember what it was. The other fonts I was looking for when I was prospecting were far more difficult to read than this. Besides, the context of the card and its imagery would in all likelihood nullify any confusion over individual letters in a card's title.

rwcarter said:
Also, is there any reason why you're putting the Minor card identification on 3 lines and the Major identification on 2 lines instead of putting both on 1 line? Putting it all on one line would allow you to reduce the size of that huge black border on the bottom of the card (reducing the overall size of the card) or at least more equally distribute the border along the top and bottom if you want to keep that particular card size.
Even though the titles in the Minor cards are in three lines, both the titles and the lower border take up just as much space as those of the Majors. Plus, the word "of" in the minors is actually a bit smaller so that it fits better between the number and suit lines.

I could use just one line for all my cards. It'll make typesetting much easier, not to mention increase the viewing area of the card.

Now that you brought it up, the borders I have now could very well end up just being placeholders. I might create a more stylized border for my cards, kinda like what Ciro Marcetti did with his decks.

allecto

I love these! Especially your high priestess. What a, well, vixen! I love the way she's holding the old and full moons. Really gets the whole feminine mystique thing I think the HP needs.

I love the Beowulf font as well, but it can be difficult to read. I only use it on things I don't really expect others to read (some of the capitals are very confusing).

daffyart

Loking really neat so far though I have one concern. You star image is mixing Star and Temperance imagry. Not sure if this is purposely done, but I thought I'd mention it.

Mabon-Tail

Temperance Imagery?

daffyart said:
Loking really neat so far though I have one concern. You star image is mixing Star and Temperance imagry. Not sure if this is purposely done, but I thought I'd mention it.
What sort of imagery from Temperance do you see in The Stars? I'm not sure if I stated this before in this thread or on deviantART, but I'm not using the RWS tarot as an exact model for my deck. If I knew what symbols you were referring to, I'd probably be able to tell you whether it was deliberate, or something I didn't notice.

Mabon-Tail

New Card: VI - The Lovers

I've posted a work-in-progress image of my latest card, The Lovers (named simply 'Love' in my deck). I have also requested critique on the card, so feel free to toss your ideas my way via PM or email if you have any ideas as to what sort of symbolism I should add or what I should do with it. My aim is to break away from the RWS style, but still keep the core framework of the deck in there.

Mabon-Tail

I should've posted this a while back, but my most recent card, Love, is now finished after having completely redone the background. It now features a tall, snowcapped mountain off in the distance rather than a bland and empty open field of arid grassland. The environment the foxes are in resembles that of the Himalayan Mountains in Nepal, one of the countries in which Bengal Foxes live. Also, the two foxes are standing at the crossroads of a trail which branches off in two directions, signifying the choice aspect of this card. I even covered the Passion interpretation by having the two foxes holding each other, looking directly into each other's eyes, and eliminating the third figure commonly found in most Waite-Smith Clones.

On a side note, I've not yet decided on which card I should go for next, but I am currently working on costume templates for my Minor Arcana characters. I need to get some practice with clothing... Can't make them all skyclad! ^w^; If you have any ideas for outfits in my deck, feel free to share them with me if you'd like.