The Vulpine Tarot

Mabon-Tail

I was thinking that the fox could hang from the branches of a fruit tree, reaching for a fruit (probably an apple tree). The fox and the fruit are each hanging over the edge. ...! I just now thought of an added twist, and I want to see if it works. Foxes are mostly carnivorous, so what if there was a squirrel or a bird sitting right above the fruit? Which will the fox try to grab?

cardlady22

Interesting . . . that brings up other Fables where the Main Character starts wanting what the Other has. :grin: It would have definite possibilities for varied takes on interpretation.

Mabon-Tail

As some of you might have seen on my Facebook fan page, I've decided to throw a bit of a curve ball and resume work on the Vulpine Tarot with the Four of Pentacles instead of The Fool. Feedback on researching The Fool was decidedly slim here. Plus, I had a nice little scene planned out in my head with the Four of Pentacles for a while, putting my own spin on the interpretation. The Witches Tarot stipulates security in material goods with the Four of Pentacles, so that got me thinking about a pleasant family scene with a fairly small family of foxes. They have everything they need to not only survive, but flourish, so they're just kicking back and enjoying the day.

Mabon-Tail

Just bumping the thread and letting everyone know that I'm almost done with the Four of Pentacles. With luck, it should be done by Friday at the absolute latest. There are a couple development videos showing my progress on my Livestream channel if you'd like to see them.

Mabon-Tail

Finally, after months of procrastination, lack of inspiration, planning, and other massive obstacles, the Four of Pentacles is ready enough to post! Unfortunately though, due to inexplicable technical difficulties, I am currently unable to post this card to deviantART. For now, here's a link to the card on my FurAffinity gallery.

In an eerie coincidence, I posted this on a Friday, as promised. Oddly enough, it just wasn't the particular Friday I was planning. ^w^;

Alta

I like it Mabon-Tail and it has been an interesting thing to watch your art evolve as you did this deck.

cardlady22

This one is a favorite, for sure!

May I confess that I'd love to live there? :grin:

Mabon-Tail

I have some ideas for new cards, but I'm stuck on which one to go for. I'm trying to stick to cards within the Majors, since they're next in my new production cycle (which goes Majors, Pents, Wands, Swords, then Cups). Here are some of my ideas.

You can see what I've been thinking about with the Fool in my previous posts, but in case you missed it, a Gray Fox hangs from the branches of a tree, rooted into the edge of a cliff. He's reaching for either a fruit hanging well over the cliff, or a small animal, sitting trapped on the same branch. Which will the fox grab for his next meal?

I could go for The Hanged Man next (which I'll call The Hanged One, since "man" implies "human"). I don't have any terribly original twists or ideas for it, but I do plan on going for the "Odin hanging from Yggdrasil" route. The fox will have an eyepatch, and runes will be sitting on the ground beneath him. I don't think I'll include the Wyrd rune in there, since I hear tell that it wasn't part of Odin's discovery.

With The Tower, I've always thought of a giant tree-castle rent asunder by a bolt of lightning. Foxes are fleeing in terror or looking on in horror as their castle burns.

For The Moon, I'm thinking of having a pond similar to The Stars. The moon hangs in the sky on one phase, but the pond reflects a completely different phase. One or two foxes, most likely of different social classes, either look on or interact with each other. Perhaps they're even holding a sort of ritual?

I'd love to hear your feedback on my ideas! :D

Alta

Just some thoughts, you are artist!
Mabon-Tail said:
You can see what I've been thinking about with the Fool in my previous posts, but in case you missed it, a Gray Fox hangs from the branches of a tree, rooted into the edge of a cliff. He's reaching for either a fruit hanging well over the cliff, or a small animal, sitting trapped on the same branch. Which will the fox grab for his next meal?
Given it is the Fool, the 'heading out' card. You could show the two 'meals' within easy grasp but the Fool-ish fox ignores them and looks eagerly off into the distance for other possibilities.
Mabon-Tail said:
I could go for The Hanged Man next (which I'll call The Hanged One, since "man" implies "human"). I don't have any terribly original twists or ideas for it, but I do plan on going for the "Odin hanging from Yggdrasil" route. The fox will have an eyepatch, and runes will be sitting on the ground beneath him. I don't think I'll include the Wyrd rune in there, since I hear tell that it wasn't part of Odin's discovery.
That is a good idea. And the fox should look passive and open but not suffering or even unwilling. However one expresses that!
Mabon-Tail said:
With The Tower, I've always thought of a giant tree-castle rent asunder by a bolt of lightning. Foxes are fleeing in terror or looking on in horror as their castle burns.
Sounds good.
Mabon-Tail said:
For The Moon, I'm thinking of having a pond similar to The Stars. The moon hangs in the sky on one phase, but the pond reflects a completely different phase. One or two foxes, most likely of different social classes, either look on or interact with each other. Perhaps they're even holding a sort of ritual?
Well, in this card animals are traditionally a part of the card anyway, so you are well ahead here. There should be a light tension in the animals, whether towards each other, or because the uncanny atmosphere of the scene.

As I say, just some thoughts. If they don't help, just discard'em!!