The Vulpine Tarot

Mabon-Tail

Well, Temperance has been done for a while. Go check it out if you haven't already. :3

Anyway, I tried posting a reply to this thread, asking about what I should do with the two extra cards required by some publishers, but one of the moderators moved it to its own thread.

Mabon-Tail

Ok, new question pertaining to the artwork in my deck! In addition to the themed outfits I've been planning for my Minor Arcana characters, I've also been trying to work with pieces of jewelry for at least the vixens of each suit in my deck to kinda spruce up the symbolism a bit. I know that each of the four suits corresponds to certain aspects of the Self, and therefore could be analogous to certain parts of the body, especially as it applies to jewelry.

For example, the Pentacles are associated with Earth, therefore it deals with the Material Self. One body part that I think fits well with this are the hands, so I could have the characters in the Pentacles suit wear bracelets (I could have them wear rings, but bracelets are more noticeable in such small art.) Also, (in my deck) the Wands are associated with Air, but I'm still keeping the Mental Self attribution with the Wands. The mind obviously fits in the head, so the Wand characters could have ear piercings or some other jewelry worn on the head. The Cups deal with the Emotional Self, which I think best fits with the heart, so the Cups characters could wear brooches or necklaces.

I'm kinda stuck on the Swords, though. Since wands have taken the air attribution, the Swords are associated with Fire in my deck, which corresponds with the Spiritual Self. What piece of jewelry do you think best demonstrates the Force of Will or the Spiritual Self? Recommendations for jewelry in the other suits are welcome as well.

cardlady22

I'm not sure about this since the girdle (or belt) seems to reference honour (virtue, truth) or an unmarried state.

It would need some tweaking to work, but think of all the catalogs of belt buckles with various art or carvings. I'm also thinking about how you said a ring would be too small to show up. The insignia of a person's house or office?

ETA: With many of the older costumes, it is the girdle/belt that holds all other pieces together. Kooky, I know . . . but I'm also reminded of Batman's utility belt. He doesn't have a natural (or mutated) ability that "makes" him a superhero. His "tools" come from himself and his company. He creates all that he needs.

Mabon-Tail

What about anklets for the Swords characters? The head and the heart are polar opposites, so it makes sense to have the hands and feet match up respectively with the pentacles and swords. :D

cardlady22

That works on a couple of levels. ankle = Aquarius might confuse a bit.
Just make sure they don't get reminiscent of slave-type stuff. :grin: (I know you are going classy!)

Mabon-Tail

Just posted another card. :D This time, it's the Three of Wands. The idea for the poses in this card were inspired by the Three of Wands found in the Sensual Wicca tarot deck.

cardlady22

I really like the flow in this scene! The progression of ages & experience. The feel that they are being instructed, as well as acting to use their knowledge/power to produce something now.

Alta

Yes, me as well. It looks as if the three of them are committing to something and sealing their commitment.

Mabon-Tail

After about four weeks, I've just completed the sketch work for the Five of Swords. I would've gotten it done sooner, but the character count was high, so they took a lot longer to draw than I thought. With luck, I should have the completed card posted to deviantART in another week or two.

cardlady22

I can only imagine the amount of work and skill it takes to do these multi-character "movement" vignettes. :bugeyed:
I'm very intrigued!