on the bottom shelf i noticed... merged with How did you get started?

rif

Le Fanu said:
I suppose I did have quite floppy hair at the time. Very early 80s, the longest fringe, the frilliest New Romantic shirt on the block :D

So, less Hugh Grant; more young Simon Le Bon. :D

zan_chan

Le Fanu said:
I just couldn't stop and 1982 hadn't even finished yet...

Are we at an AA meeting? Sounds like a VH1 Behind the Music haha.

But it is somehow reassuring (considering my own buying habits) that you were a total addict right from the get-go.

Thanks for the story.

I'm loving hearing all these histories. Feels very campfire. Keep on sharing everyone :)

tarotmama

I found an oracle deck at a garage sale when I was 12 or 13. It was called "Karma Cards". It was pretty goofy, but I thought it was fascinating. I always like ouiji boards and crystals and stuff like that. I found a book at the library about reading playing cards so I took a deck and wrote meanings on the cards to help me memorize. I got really good at reading cards with that. Then I got my first tarot deck soon after. I think it was a Connolly. I picked up a Haindl and a Morgan-Greer soon after -- and the Morgan-Greer was the deck I "officially" learned to read on. I had some good readings, but couldn't get into tarot though until sometime in '02 when I was at a book store and I happened upon a Victoria Regina kit. It was the most beautiful deck I'd ever seen! I gave away my others and carried that thing around with me *everywhere*. I would say that if I hadn't ever found it, I might have just kept my few decks stored away in a cupboard or lost interest altogether.

Le Fanu

rif said:
So, less Hugh Grant; more young Simon Le Bon. :D
Certainly not, more Phil Oakey, Human League, thank you very much. :D :D

zan_chan

tarotmama said:
I would say that if I hadn't ever found it, I might have just kept my few decks stored away in a cupboard or lost interest altogether.

Well thank goodness you found it! (And who knew this was becoming an enabling thread? Maybe I really do need a Victoria Regina...

Le Fanu

tarotmama said:
I happened upon a Victoria Regina kit. It was the most beautiful deck I'd ever seen! I gave away my others and carried that thing around with me *everywhere*. I would say that if I hadn't ever found it, I might have just kept my few decks stored away in a cupboard or lost interest altogether.
Please tell me you still have the Victoria Regina. What a wonderful deck to learn on and start feeling passion for...

SkadisPhoenix

Gregory, is that York in England, or York in America *crosses fingers for York, England*

I initially started with oracle decks. Nothing wrong with them, now that I have a clue about what I am doing, but I was recommended to go with Doreen Virtue. Again, nothing wrong with her decks, but they are just so wrong for me. Not long after, I was staying over at my best friend's house, and was shuffling the cards, trying to get some sort of message from them (far too cheerful for who I am, I prefer realistic cards), and my friend decided to get her tarot collection out (she's since been complaining that I now have more decks than her, even though she's been using tarot cards about three times as long as I have! ;) Ah well!)

She asked why I didn't use tarot, and I explained that the tarot decks and readings I'd had from the person who had recommended Doreen Virtue, put me off somewhat (the reader is really optimistic for herself, really pessimistic for others. :p), and my best friend got out the Gilded Tarot, told me to look through it. Love at first sight! :D

Then about a week after that, I was talking to a woman in America (another VERY good friend), somehow got talking about tarot cards, I mentioned that I'd looked at the Gilded Tarot, and was considering buying it. Just a week later, a package arrived from America, LOADS of chocolates and sweets, and other goodies, as is her wont, and there, in glorious technicolour, my very own copy of the Gilded Tarot! :D

I haven't looked back. I did end up giving that copy of the Gilded Tarot to the girl who recommended Doreen Virtue, in exchange for the Druidcraft (which I then sold to another friend), as I didn't know at that point how to get rid of negative energies, but regretted it immediately, and was able to get another copy through Aeclectic. And now I have the Legacy deck, which is even better for me!

gregory

York in Toronto - a part of the city. But there are stores in here that are JUST as bad for your health....

SkadisPhoenix

If/When I get my hands on a mobility scooter, there's two very dangerous shops, one that does the incense and the cards, and a lot of crystals and books, while the other one does more incense and cards and crystals, but more the altar type things that you need. They know me by NAME in both shops, and were commenting last time I went in that they hadn't seen me in a while! :p I prefer getting my decks from those two shops, as they smell nicer than the ones in Waterstones and Borders. :D

tarotmama

Le Fanu said:
Please tell me you still have the Victoria Regina. What a wonderful deck to learn on and start feeling passion for...

Oh yes. You'd have to pry that deck from my cold, dead hands before I would ever give it up!