Cloths?

twinmom

I can see me sitting on the floor with them a lot too, thanks to lap tops. lol
Probably if doing it on the floor I can see where it would come in handy.

My times to be able to do this is during the boys nap time and then once they go to bed.

With two 2 year olds, there is no quite unless they are asleep LOL

MareSaturni

I use nothing of this. Except a common cotton cloth the lay the cards on when i'm reading. And i don't always use it.

This belief that you must keep the cards wrapped in black silk, with a sacred crystal upon it to suck the bad energies will only work if you truly believe that it works. Doing it all just for the sake of doing it will turn it into an empty ritual, that has no actual meaning.

I don't believe in this kind of thing, so i don't use it. I know people who use it and it really works for them - but it's because it's a part of their own magic.

Crystals, incenses, silk, cups with water, knives, you name it... all is fine. All is great if it makes sense to you. The "must", however, is a crock of c**p. You must nothin'. Do what feel right to you.

The only thing you need to read tarot is a deck.
And i'm not even sure about that anymore...

twinmom

Marina said:
Crystals, incenses, silk, cups with water, knives, you name it... all is fine. All is great if it makes sense to you. The "must", however, is a crock of c**p. You must nothin'. Do what feel right to you.
No, I don't see me needing any of the above listed stuff, except maybe a cloth of some kind if sitting on the floor.
And to me, this has nothing to do with magic. I don't have any piece of me that wants to cast spells, use charms and crystals and all of that. Just looking for guidance in my life. Seeing what happened in the past that might have been missed that can help me in the future.

Marcia959

gregory said:
I use whatever I am near. Coffee table, sofa, carpet.... Single card reading on my knee....

You do what feels right for you. The people who write books can only tell you what is right for THEM !

Agree totally. I sat on a curb and read for a guy who was sitting in the street once. I personally like reading on wood but the only time I really grouse about the surface my cards are on, besides really gooey dirt or something wet, is when the table top is plastic with a good chance of the cards skittering off. Then, I may use whatever suits me including: silk scarves of any color, a table runner made in Guatemala and just recently a sarong because it matched my Mardi Gras beads!

There's something to be said for keeping your cards clean, but as for cloth/no cloth...your choice!

pasara

Obviously not a requirement as others have said, though sometimes a cloth is nice (if right material) because it can make it easier to pick up cards and so cards don't slip all over the place. Crystals are nice if you are reading on a windy day and your cards are blowing around. These are practical considerations, but not usually what the book writers are thinking about.

For some people rituals like these help them to focus their attention on reading, just like certain routines before bedtime help some people to fall asleep more easily.

twinmom

pasara said:
For some people rituals like these help them to focus their attention on reading, just like certain routines before bedtime help some people to fall asleep more easily.
Routine/ritual does make sense. I know my day is very much routined based. I could see how easily I am sure I will fall into a routine with the cards.

twinmom

Marcia959 said:
Agree totally. I sat on a curb and read for a guy who was sitting in the street once. I personally like reading on wood but the only time I really grouse about the surface my cards are on, besides really gooey dirt or something wet, is when the table top is plastic with a good chance of the cards skittering off. Then, I may use whatever suits me including: silk scarves of any color, a table runner made in Guatemala and just recently a sarong because it matched my Mardi Gras beads!

There's something to be said for keeping your cards clean, but as for cloth/no cloth...your choice!
Can I ask why you like reading on wood the best?

Grizabella

I don't use anything like this, either, even though I do have---and love---some spread cloths and crystals and such. I just don't find that I need them for my readings. I read wherever I am and so long as my cards aren't going to get wet, gooey or damaged in some way, anywhere is fine with me.

twinmom

So it is sounding like to me , a lot of you have your cards on you most of the time?

Nytebugg

I don't care for cloths I find I want to somehow shuffle them in with the cards. :bugeyed:

I tend to read at my desk which is covered in paper stuff with random things mixed in just because.
I have taken mine to coffee shops; I just wipe the table down before hand.