Cloths?

SunChariot

twinmom said:
In the book that came with my Tarot cards it say as special cloth an be used to lay the cards on. Wondering if anyone does this? If so what kind of cloth do you use?
It also takes about crystals, prayers(I don't pray), candles and incense.

I know zip about crystals. Not sure how they would play into the reading of the cards, along with the other things. Any insight would be wonderful.

Dianna
Yes anything like cloths, crystals candles incense...smudging... are optional

The cards don't care what you do with them, they are just printed cardboard. But consciously and or unconsciusly you will be affected by how you treat your decks. What feels respectful to you as a way to treat the cards will likely result in a greater sense of reverence inside yourself for the cards. And that will help your readings. Whatever puts YOU personally more at ease and creates beauty around you will likely result in better readings for you. The more relaxed and comfortable you are when you read the better things will go. But you are the best one to know what will make you comfortable.

I've changed over time. But I always light a scented candle when I pull the cards. The aromatherapy just relaxes me more. Not necessary, but just nice.

I do all my readings alone as I only read for others online, so I have come to always pull my cards for readings crosslegged on my bed. I do use a small silk spreadcloth. I have both a fucsia one and a copper coloured one. I choose the one that goes best with the colouring of the deck I am using. They have a pattern on one side and just the solid colour on the other. I choose my cards and lay them out on the patterned side. Then write down what the cards were, flip the spreadcloth and photograph the card one by one of the solid colour side. As I only read online, I always send photos of the cards.

Mine are the fushia and copper ones here (currently the 5th and 7th ones)
http://tarotconnection.net/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20_23

But most places that sell Tarot pouches have spread sheets too.

That is all when I just pull the cards. Then I go into the other room, put the photos into my computer, and DO the actual reading itself on the computer. I just type it in as it comes to me.

But again it's up to what makes you feel good. None of it is necessary in any way.

Babs

Grizabella

twinmom said:
So it is sounding like to me , a lot of you have your cards on you most of the time?

Oh yes, I always have one with me in my purse or if I'm going on a long trip, I have several in my luggage and one or two in my purse.

shadowdancer

I went through a manic crazed faze of making my own spread cloths (double sided) with matching tarot deck pouches, small pendulum pouch and larger tote bag to carry the whole lot. You name a theme I did it. Astrology, witchy, undersea, cherubs, unicorns, fairies, Egyptian. Great idea at the time but turned out an expensive waste of time in hindsight, driven by enthusiasm and good intentions of using them all.
Got a bit daft really - made something like 15 sets.

True to form I still use in the main, my computer table (if I am typing an online reading) my bedspread or the coffee table.

I do use spread cloths if I do readings elsewhere, and to be honest on occasion it was worth it. The table top was..... not quite clean shall we say. no way was I going to put my cards straight on whatever had been happily cultured there.

Ironically my favourite latest cloth is just a cheap and cheerful black satin effect pillowcase. Great size to use as a spread cloth, is thick due to it being by default double sided, and I can just throw into it my decks etc for travelling with :)

I have a two day mind body & spirit festival coming up where I have a stall bookeds for readings. The black pillow case will be used and no-one will be any the wiser :D

Davina

Alpha-Omega

I use spreadcloths just because It looks nice and gives the cards a clean surface to lay on.

Carla

When I bought my first deck, I bought a purple silk spreadcloth. I used it a few times but now it's just folded up in the basket with my other tarot decks. I figure I might use it if I ever do some 'big deal' major question spread, but for daily readings I don't bother. I found it didn't lie flat, and I didn't like the way the cards slid on it. I might end up using it to wrap a deck or something. I might just write it off as a mistake and ignore it entirely!

Morwenna

The only time I use spreadcloths (which are usually scarves or tablecloths) is when I'm reading somewhere other than home, to protect the cards from grimy or rough table surfaces, or (at renfairs) to look pretty for the customers. At home I usually read on the bed; no separate cloths necessary.

I like crystals for their own sakes, but I don't use them in conjunction with Tarot, except (as was mentioned above) as paperweights outdoors.

I love the "look" (glitzy, mystical, however you like to call it), especially since I'm big on atmosphere, but I seldom do anything about it. It's all for esthetics anyway; I feel no need to do anything about it. I'm just a magpie at heart. I sometimes suspect that if I went all-out with decorating, I'd be distracted from the cards themselves. :)

As for routine, sometimes I remember to ground and center first... :D

Le Fanu

I kinda like the rituals for getting into the zone and centring myself, but I agree that it is totally optional. I like the sound of davina's double-sided pillowcase! I also have some embroidered table mats with copper thread and arabic embroidery etc which I've picked up on my travels. The perfect size for 5 card spreads. but when I'm reading for others it is usually on the bed with the bed-spread as an outsized spreadcloth!

The whole point is that it can and should be FUN. I love spreadcloths and bags for my decks but it has to be fun. They're not intrinsic to reading. Check out this and you'll see how many of us enjoy using them.

My favourite spreadcloth is a lovely chocolatey-brown, Greenwood-inspired one made for me by Cat*. I love it!

irisa

I don't like the cloths that tend to accompany decks... ESPECIALLY with the silly card shapes on them... that's one of my pet hates :)

I have a few nice bits of material I sometimes use but I'm not a ritualistic type personality, I'm more it is what it is go with the flow, read on a clothes line or balancing 7 cards on 2 knees type of girl.

irisa :)

tarotlaura

I'm not a ritualistic person either. I have a really nice blue crushed velvet cloth that my mother gave me but I never use it. I should because it's really nice. Maybe someday. But I usually lay the card on the table or floor or even my bed. But like everyone else already said, do what you feel right and doing and just leave the the rest.

twinmom

Thank you all for all the input :)