Cloths?

Morwenna

You know, I never thought about table napkins, and I have a zillion of them around here somewhere... Maybe I'll just pick one of the unmatched ones and keep it with the cards. But NOT one of the red ones; against all logic, the color runs! On napkins!! What good is that, for anything???

RexMalaki

pasara said:
I love silk, but to me a heavier fabric is preferable for a spread cloth. Silk is often slippery and so lightweight that it moves around or gets caught in the cards and between my fingers.

I agree about silk, it moves around. But, I like felt for spreading the cards though it is a bit bulky. I have a piece cut to fit my desk; great for home use.

Morwenna

It depends on the silk. The soft gossamer silk most people think of is nearly useless for spread cloths (I found that out ages ago), but the heavier, dress-weight or raw varieties are substantial enough to cope. SunChariot's spreadcloths are a good example.

MysticalMoose

I also use table napkins I have some nice gold damask ones & some black as well. I now find myself looking out in store sale bins for odd napkins :)

zephyr_heart

I usually use my satin-lined spreadcloth sewn by my aunt; especially if it's to be a reading done on the floor and not on a table, cause if not, the cards will collect dust. But like some people in this forum said, having to use a cloth is optional.

nisaba

twinmom said:
In the book that came with my Tarot cards it say as special cloth an be used to lay the cards on. Wondering if anyone does this? If so what kind of cloth do you use?
It also takes about crystals, prayers(I don't pray), candles and incense.
When I'm reading for myself, or for people here online, or for one client, I don't often bother.

When I'm reading for a day out of a venue, available to anyone, I cover teh table with a colourful saarong which I then cover with a translucent white gauze, set up a few of my decks, and often have a few oddments scattered around one side: a few crystals, say, a pendulum, a candle (in a glass cup-style holder to prevent wax spills!).

I'm vain enough to think it doesn't affect the quality of the readings - I'm a good reader with or without a setup - but it *does* separate off my space from the rest of the cafe or shop, mark it as my territory, and make a silent statement about intention.

twinmom said:
I know zip about crystals. Not sure how they would play into the reading of the cards, along with the other things. Any insight would be wonderful.

Some people get all magical about them. I think they're just a part of setting the mood for your clients.

(That being said, I have one single-pointer clear quartz "ghost crystal" that I'm sure has a primitive mineral spirit living in it. I rarely if ever think to bring it in my Reader's Bag of Tricks.)

Morwenna

I just picked up some HUGE white damask napkins at a church tag sale; I'll have to try one out as a spread cloth!

Le Fanu

LOL. And I just picked up some TINY dupion silk spreadcloths from the Holistic Shop.

Actually, they're not that tiny; big enough for a 4 card spread, cards laid horizontally.

I bought three; black, purple and turquoise. And so cheap (2 GBP each!)

You can never have enough of these small spreadcloths. And napkins are great (Id love some suede reading cloths. Love the idea). I have bought quite a few in sales for use as spreadcloths; odd napkins which are not part of a set and which nobody wants anymore!... I have a wonderful one richly embroidered with copper thread all florid and roccoco.

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
You can never have enough of these small spreadcloths. ... I have a wonderful one richly embroidered with copper thread all florid and roccoco.
<grinning> You're not exactly a minimalist, are you, Le Fanu.

Le Fanu

nisaba said:
<grinning> You're not exactly a minimalist, are you, Le Fanu.
Life's too short for minimalism ;)