Keeping a tarot journal

Carla

I would love to know what kind of tarot journal people have put together. I have read advice about using a ring binder and all sorts. What works for you? I just started with tarot at the end of 2009, and bought a blank book then, but it is proving not quite satisfactory. I'm hoping for some top tips for keeping up with readings and a method for revisiting them at a later date to make notes about accuracy or new understanding of the readings. Also, do you write down the readings people do for you online? I have a separate blank book that I've been using to create my own 'tarot key'. I'm sure it will evolve into some other form in time, but it was a place to start. Can't wait to hear your ideas and methods!

irisa

Hi Carla the search function is quite useful here even though I probably haven't gotten to grips with the finer points yet :) But there are a bunch of threads around about tarot journals,the different types, different ways of using etc that may interest you here

irisa :)

lotus_of_truth

I also have my own "tarot key" type of book where i write my own notes and such down. i think it is a very good idea. My journal and my "tarot key" are both composition notebooks. Some people might not like composition notebook since you can't add or subtract pages, but I like them because they are not big and bulky. I keep so many different kinds of journals anyway, it might evolve to something different :)

hereeternally

I'm still brand new to tarot reading, but I started an online journal to record everything down as I'm learning. It's not as satisfying as holding a real physical journal in your hands, but since I'm online a lot and keep online journals anyway, I figured it'd be a good way to document my thoughts and readings.

Carla

I like the idea of a ring binder with sections where you can add and subtract pages, but I don't like writing in a ring binder because I am left handed and it's awkward. I love blank books, but they're very restrictive in that way. Right now I've got an A4 blank book that I'm using as my tarot key, and thick A5 ruled blank book that is my tarot journal. I just got it in Dec 09, but it is already 3/4 full. However, I'm not convinced most of what I wrote is of any use...it's ramblings. I want to tighten up my tarot journaling style, to make it a useful tool for keeping up with my readings and especially going back to them later to update with what actually happened, and any insights I have had since then.

Sulis

Hi Carla,

There have been a couple of very recent threads about journalling.

Here's one with over 100 replies: How to keep a tarot journal
And one from just two weeks ago: Journal.

If you do a 'titles only' search for 'journal' in Talking Tarot you'll find many more, some about on-line journalling too.

Personally, I like using a fountain pen and a hard or soft-back notebook. Lately I've been using a soft-backed Moleskine and it's gorgeous. I have one journal for spreads (I only use a few), notes on cards, numbers and elements and another that I write my readings in that's more of a diary style layout.

I think that the most important thing about journalling (for me anyway) is to go back and read previous journal entries. It's really useful to see how I interpreted cards in the past in different contexts.

raeanne

Hi Carla,
I have several different journals. I have a three ring binder (actually a set of 5, one for the Majors and one for each suit) where I keep notes about the cards. Insights, symbolism, ideas, and inspiration for each card. I use the three ring binder for this because I have more than one page of info for each card. With the binder I can add a page when and where I need it. I have a spiral notebook for spreads. I have a small spiral notebook that is nothing but "New Deck" spreads that includes when I purchased the deck. Finally, I have my conglomerate. This is a few spiral notebook, loose papers, backs of envelopes, and any other thing that I might have grabbed to write down a reading. If I want to look up an old reading, I have to look through all this stuff but it is mostly in chronological order so it isn't too bad. If I had the time it would be nice to get it all typed into the computer but time...there just is never enough of it. Enjoy.

Carla

I have just spent a good half hour reading through the thread Sulis provided. Everyone seems in the same boat as me--a bit overwhelmed and just trying things out to see what works for them. I think of all the descriptions I've read, Wendywu's ring binders sound most like my vision of what I'd like to compile. A big, glorious collection of bits and bobs. BUT, although I like the sound of it, I'm actually a very buttoned-down, colour-coded, keep-your-columns-straight kind of person.

For now, I'm sticking with my A4 tarot key (where I jot down meanings of the cards), and my A5 tarot journal in which I'm trying to impose some order on each entry:

Date
Query
Deck
Card(s)

Traditional meanings

My interpretation

Follow-up

I would really love to paste in little thumbnail pics of the cards, but I don't have a printer. I've often thought that there should be sheets of little tarot card stickers for each deck for this use. I would buy them!

Wendywu

Carla said:
I would really love to paste in little thumbnail pics of the cards, but I don't have a printer. I've often thought that there should be sheets of little tarot card stickers for each deck for this use. I would buy them!

I bought that RWS Tiny Tarot and stuck those in :) along with rather a lot of other stuff lol

My latest adventure in journal land has been to take the middle out of a ring-binder file, and sew it into a leather cover (see images). I've just got to add some decoration here and there, and I have a really personal working folder that I can use for years. When it fills up - store the sheets and start over :)One thing in its favour - the paper is cheap :)

Attachments

• Journal 1 sml.JPG
    Journal 1 sml.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Journal 2 sml.JPG
    Journal 2 sml.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Journal 3 sml.JPG
    Journal 3 sml.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 161

SarahRacheal

Wendy your journal is beautiful!