Diary of a Broken Soul

Which layout would you prefer in a tarot deck?

• Traditional Tarot Titles for Majors and Pips

Votes: 23 92.0%
  • Numbered Majors with Playing card numbering for the Pips

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sacredashes

I would appreciate feedback on options I am looking at with regards to this deck as I am contemplating a few things I would like to do with it.

May be printing it in poker card size cards but this time round, it will not be limited edition, signed or numbered. The price of the deck will also be reduced to an affordable range.

There are a couple of things I can do with the format to make it more traditional. I am planning to remove the house-building feature as I would like that to remain specially for the full deck LE version.

However, I'm not sure whether I should stick to traditional tarot and title the cards accordingly or stay with the playing card layout which I quite like.

This poll is just to get an idea of what you would prefer in tarot decks:

a) Traditional Titles; or
b) Numbers Only for the Majors and Poker cards numbering layout for the pips.

thorhammer

I'm the only one to answer you, Ash! But five others voted . . . and I'm in the camp that prefers traditional Tarot titles, not PC ones. I respect your choice in the LE Diary and wouldn't say anything against it, but it's not my preference. I particularly took issue with the way the suit symbols intruded into the image space because it deterred me from trimming the deck (that, and the fuzzy image edge). But like I said - I respect the choices you made with regard to the graphic layout of the LE and thank you for the opportunity to stick my oar in for a possible second edition (which I'd love to have, pls without borders :p LOL Just kidding!)

\m/ Kat

sacredashes

Hi Kat,

No worries about sharing your preference. I'm taking in feedback so I'd have an idea of what would changed and what would stay for the print-on-demand version.

Was actually thinking of re-doing the whole thing and maybe adding some effects on the images. The LE version was softened because some of the cards looked harsh in its actual resolution.

Lytta especially would seriously creep out some folks if the original sample was used... its the eyes, I think.. very penetrating so I was hoping to buffer it a little.

Not sure if this will work out; if it is going to be a tarot deck or just a poker card deck without the majors.

Thanks for the feedback anyways ;P

Ash

Kimberlee

Honestly, I don't have an opinion either way. I love the LE edition, and I personally believe that the artist's desire with the deck is something I wouldn't tamper with unless there was something really off about it. The playing card aspect is a nice touch I enjoy, although it took a little bit to get used to.

I'm also voting for borderless! I'm too chicken to trim, and I love the card building aspect of the LE. :)

sacredashes

lol... 2 votes borderless... ok, i'm listening... ;)

Vesper

I hadn't looked at the LE deck before. It's stunning. And the house-building capability is unique and amazing.

But even if I could build houses with these cards, I'm sure I would never risk hurting them, so I think it's fine that you're wanting to leave that out of the next edition. As for the card titles, I prefer something more traditional, and I like the titles hand-drawn, or in a font that doesn't remind me of playing cards, which seem too mundane for this wild, other-worldly domaine.

If borderless were an option, I would pick that option. But as the question is: playing card titles or traditional titles, I prefer traditional titles for the minors. For the Majors, I like them just the way they are, with only numerals, and no titles. (I know that wasn't one of the options, but I like the absense of any words on Major Arcana.)

MoonGypsy

sacredashes said:
lol... 2 votes borderless... ok, i'm listening... ;)

Another vote for Borderless, Sweet Ash...no notches. [i DO trim, but not this one--far too risky!] :love: Oh, and PLEASE--Tarot deck, not poker deck. :D

Hugs and Blessings,
MoonGypsyxxx

P.S. i know i am opinionated. i'm old and have earned the right! [well not THAT old]...but still.. :p Old enough...:laugh:

sacredashes

Hi Evelone.. :)

New visitor to Jahanam, eh?

Well, these 2 members of the High Council have been traveling with me for a long time; so they would know I will listen... but I may not follow :p

At this point, I am wondering if I want to stick to tarot and if so, what would the layout be like as I will be re-doing the images. Will be adding a tint of sepia to the images. Printing it as a deck of tarot cards is one option since the deck was originally created for it but I do see this opportunity as something more for The Diary to expand into and would like to explore.

Something I am very, very tempted to do is to scrape the whole tarot idea completely and turn the images into like a Dungeons and Dragons card game
using the images a platform for role-playing. I can almost see the residents of this place chanting "Aye!! Aye!!" so they can plot and build new alliances while breaking old ones just for the heck of it.

})

Vesper

Sure, go ahead and take this world into a whole new dimension! Love the idea of a RPG.

But first, make a new edition of the tarot deck! No need to change any images! Have pity on the broken souls who didn't catch this in the limited ed.

If that's too ordinary of an undertaking, then create multiple versions of the tarot deck, and let fate decide which purchaser gets which version! Now that I've seen this deck, I must have it.

(btw, did an online reading using the Blind Spot spread, and it was spot on, leading me to wonder what is the purpose of a blind spot, if it can be seen through so easily.)

sacredashes

evelone said:
Sure, go ahead and take this world into a whole new dimension! Love the idea of a RPG.

confession... I have been salivating at the thought of doing that....

evelone said:
But first, make a new edition of the tarot deck! No need to change any images! Have pity on the broken souls who didn't catch this in the limited ed.

If that's too ordinary of an undertaking, then create multiple versions of the tarot deck, and let fate decide which purchaser gets which version! Now that I've seen this deck, I must have it.

Will keep that in mind, darlin'... ;)

evelone said:
(btw, did an online reading using the Blind Spot spread, and it was spot on, leading me to wonder what is the purpose of a blind spot, if it can be seen through so easily.)

:D you know... I use that spread very often myself. Sometimes I break my own reading ethics when I go get a free Diary reading and ask about someone else... and the rascals do tell ALL!!!! Apparently, they'll break the rules if I break them :p

:heart: