Tarot Etiquette

LovelyMissAries

Nineveh said:
So, I wonder if there is an etiquette to repeating a question or simply accepting the outcome of a predicted situation when even the present was not read correctly. Or is it too much to ask for a second prediction from another reader?

What are your thoughts?

I have to say (and I'm not bragging but it has to be said to prove a point) many people on here say they 'like' my readings and they're accurate, but I know I can't be THAT accurate 24/7. Especially in timing questions. As a reader, how am I supposed to compete with the free will of others and the energy coagulating outside of the reading I'm giving? The question I'm getting is only one perspective when in reality there's 3. There's the truth, and then Person A & B's perspective.

That being said, there's a difference between being completely off in readings to the point where it's far fetched and unrealistic concerning the situation, and missing a few spots. Every reading will have at least one loophole in my opinion. If you ask the same question twenty different times, you have to ask yourself what you're really looking for. Is it a different perspective, or are you looking for the answer you like best? Who's to say the reading you choose is actually realistic seeing as your reality may be very different from mine.

To be honest, it kind of gets under my skin to see someone I just read for, asking the same question to a different reader. Partly because most of the time I know it's because they didn't receive the answer they want, which is ...well, that's life. You're not always going to get hearts and flowers for everything and not being able to accept it... well... what are you asking me for then, you know? If you (and keep in mind I'm saying 'you' in general terms!) want a delusional answer, then keep dreaming. Don't even bother asking. Okay, I guess my opinion came through loud and clear haha, I don't like to see people repeating the same question and I try my best to either wait a good amount of time before repeating a question, or just not asking it at all.

LovelyMissAries

magpie9 said:
It actually makes sense to me. And it seems to be a waste of time and energy to get offended by this behavior. That comes straight from ego, and ego never does a reader any good. If it's what works for them, let them go to 10 readers with the same question. If your reading was right, they'll hear it over and over again from the other readers. If it wasn't, well then it's a really good thing that they checked it out with others.You just can't take this kind of thing personally. People are going to do what they do, and if it's something important in their lives why shouldn't they double check on it? We all know that no reader is 100% accurate all the time.

So true, I need to remember this more often. :)

MantraTarot

Starlight09 said:
I have to say (and I'm not bragging but it has to be said to prove a point) many people on here say they 'like' my readings and they're accurate, but I know I can't be THAT accurate 24/7.

Yeah-- you do give very good readings, and what do I still tend to do? Ask someone else. :laugh: And it's not because I don't believe you... that's the funny part. It's just because I want to make sure AND I want to see how you got the answer you got. And if someone else reads on it and gets similar cards and a similar interpretation, it helps me to later on go, (i.e.) "Ah... that 7 Swords reversed could *also* mean not completing something that you've started... hmmmm...." That sorta deal.

But generally? I find that most people on this board are very good readers and are generally on target. I'm trying very hard to learn how to "let go" and become more specific in my readings, and that's super hard for me to do. However, I find that the more people I observe and get readings from, the more I pick up lil' tips here and there to help me trust in my own intuition.

LovelyMissAries

MantraTarot said:
Yeah-- you do give very good readings, and what do I still tend to do? Ask someone else. :laugh: And it's not because I don't believe you... that's the funny part. It's just because I want to make sure AND I want to see how you got the answer you got. And if someone else reads on it and gets similar cards and a similar interpretation, it helps me to later on go, (i.e.) "Ah... that 7 Swords reversed could *also* mean not completing something that you've started... hmmmm...." That sorta deal.

Familiarity has a lot to do with it too. If it's someone I notice only jumps on here when the threads are hot and rarely ever starts a thread of their own to GIVE BACK... then it annoys me because they're abusing the free service on here, like many have pointed out. I've read for you a lot of times and you me, so seeing you ask someone else the same question doesn't bother me. Also because I rarely see you asking unless there's some ghost threads around here I'm not seeing. :p

Nytebugg

I only read here for the most part. It doesn't bother me to see people asking the same question for a reading from someone else. I am guilty of it as well. I enjoy reading to read so sometimes I get into a groove on exchanges and I cannot for the life of me remember when or who i may have asked that same question before. I am a forgetful sitter and a not very creative one either on thinking up questions. lol To me this being a learning environment it just doesn't bother me.

I do pay for readings sometimes at local fairs. sometimes I go to 2 or 3 different readers. I may ask the same thing or I may ask different things. I am usually looking for an overall feel of the direction of things. I, personally, feel the different readers will pick up different elements of the same situation.

I go to a weekly tarot class and we have had sitters join us lately. They ask any question they like and we all read on that same question so they end up getting 9 different readings on the same question and we all give our own impressions and interpretations of what we got in the cards. It has been interesting seeing how we end up getting almost the same feel for the situation from 9 different readers, 9 different decks, and 9 different draws.

MantraTarot

Starlight09 said:
Also because I rarely see you asking unless there's some ghost threads around here I'm not seeing. :p

:joke: Well, I *feel* like I do, b/c I'm constantly on the game threads, so I feel that I ask the same thing over and over again b/c I'm trying to think of questions to practice with.

Nytebugg said:
It has been interesting seeing how we end up getting almost the same feel for the situation from 9 different readers, 9 different decks, and 9 different draws.

Yes! Isn't that cool? That's what I love about doing multiple readings like that-- it just renews your faith in the process and peoples' abilities including your own. It's hard to give feedback on there, but once in a while I just like to drop a note and tell people they're doing a great job. So I thought I'd say it here too! :)

And may I add that you give excellent readings too, Nytebugg. When we exchange on the games thread, you as well as the other "regulars" are usually spot on.

gregory

Butting in a bit here - as readers, don't we all need to allow for the fact that many sitters are scared - not of us - but of what we can and do tell them - and also scared of the answers they get, which are so often not what they expect. They therefore try again and again, to try and get themselves a break. Haven't we all been scared, and doubted ourselves, and tried absolutely anything we could think of to find something that showed us a way out, a way forward, that didn't scare us half to death ?

People come for readings to get help. If they feel they need more help - then why not try another reader. And another. We need to understand that too, if we want to help. Most sitters haven't our knowledge of tarot; they may not even realise what most of us feel - that asking the same question over and over is non-productive. They are doing their best to find a way, using what they know. Give them a break !!!

(It's a different case with serial sitters here, I think, maybe - as so many of us are able to point all this out !)

AJ

I've been wondering about the readers etiquette in the OP's original post. Kind of gives me the creeps thinking about readers sitting around talking about queries that were probably felt to be in confidence.

Not dissing anyone, just been thinking about it since the subject came up.

tarotreader2007

AJ said:
I've been wondering about the readers etiquette in the OP's original post. Kind of gives me the creeps thinking about readers sitting around talking about queries that were probably felt to be in confidence.

Not dissing anyone, just been thinking about it since the subject came up.

I think for certain purposes, this is acceptable. Much like psychologists talking about experiences with *UN-NAMED* patients. As long as privacy is not breached, the experience should be allowed to be openly talked about unless of course, process of elimination would invalidate the privacy.

It is now time for my dinner time cigarette :smoker:

Nineveh

Starlight09 said:
To be honest, it kind of gets under my skin to see someone I just read for, asking the same question to a different reader. Partly because most of the time I know it's because they didn't receive the answer they want, which is ...well, that's life. You're not always going to get hearts and flowers for everything and not being able to accept it... well... what are you asking me for then, you know? If you (and keep in mind I'm saying 'you' in general terms!) want a delusional answer, then keep dreaming. Don't even bother asking. Okay, I guess my opinion came through loud and clear haha, I don't like to see people repeating the same question and I try my best to either wait a good amount of time before repeating a question, or just not asking it at all.

Hi Starlight!

Although I am guilty of having been upset abiut the topic in the past, I don't think it should get under your skin that people ask other readers a question that you've just read on. I know that we've had a couple of good exchanges when I first joined. However, a couple of your predictions never happened for me. My point is even the best of us are wrong at times. I no longer see the problem with querents receiving multiple readings on the same question. Although at times I see this as an obsession.

Then there are readings that could have been WAY off when describing the querents present. So if the reader can't describe the present why should the querent believe the readers prediction of his or her future?

I love when some of the sitters in this forum are honest enough to not agree with a questionable or inaccurate reading rather than say "Yes, thank you..." attempting to look at things as a maybe if it happens this way or blah, blah, blah...

There are a few readers who I don't visit anymore in this forum because the predictions never happen or the present wasn't read correctly.