Deck of the week sign up thread - week 33 -17-24 march

Nerys

So I've done a few readings now with the PoMo and I have to say, it's not really what I was expecting. That's not to say I'm not liking it (I am, very much). But the impression I had gotten from the few scans I'd seen before buying made me think of the tone I get from Morgan's Tarot and really enjoy - groovy, far-out, space-cadet neo-hippie chattiness. The term that keeps coming to mind is "dated", though I mean it in the most positive way possible. And some of that comes through in the PoMo, though more in the book than in the cards. I'm finding a lot to learn about, especially because of the fact that I'm not really that familiar with most of the paintings that are being referred to.

On a more practical note, I'm having a hell of time trying to shuffle it. It's a beast!

vee

I think the Gill and I are meant to be. My readings are going so well with it (too busy to post this weekend but had some good ones!) and I just found a used copy of the companion book for 4$ at a local bookstore today!

jema

I think the Gill and I are meant to be. My readings are going so well with it (too busy to post this weekend but had some good ones!) and I just found a used copy of the companion book for 4$ at a local bookstore today!

:-D it is a great deck, I had to get a back-up for it even. If I could keep only one Gill would be it.

Elendil

Celestial Tarot

The deck is adequate - but is seems a bit lifeless and cold. The accompanying book is a useful guide to classic myths - but there is little if any 'narrative link' between the cards. It's a bit like using one of those Fairytale/ Fairy Tale decks which have 78 self-contained cards. The images are quite nicely painted - although for some reason the salamander on the 10 of Wands has been printed upside down (I have photo-shopped it into its correct orientation on my blog in the two draws in which that particular card has been pulled this week).

This is probably not a deck that I would rush to use again...

jema

Daughters of the Moon

I just got the Celestial myself, mainly cause it was cheap and I do love the Spiral but the same artist. But I haven't really felt that urge to take it out yet.

Daughters of the moon feels oddly uncommunicative too this week. Or maybe it is just me being a bit 'off' the tarot for the last few days.
I do have three decks on the way though so next week will be exciting.
Melissa Lenormand - Crystal visions and Mary-el will all fight for my attention then.
But right now, I pull a card and go: 'meh' and can hardly be bothered to write about it. Perhaps I need to just sit down with it a bit and play around.
Gonna try doing that 21 ways to read a card with one of them and see if the way I feel changes.

Karmagoth

'Meh' is the word....

But right now, I pull a card and go: 'meh' and can hardly be bothered to write about it.

Feeling the same way about the Lisa Hunt Fairy Tale Tarot. The cards are lovely to look at in a vague 'ah' kind of way (to me at least), and the stories are nice to read. But that's about it. My daily draws have been a bit, well, dreary. And this morning I did the unthinkable - I put the cards in a draw and got out a different deck - yes, shock, horror, only halfway through the week - out of sheer boredom. It's the first time in 6 months of almost 24/7 obsessive reading, hunching over books, studying, playing, scouring this forum for info etc. that I've actually been bored by Tarot.

Not having much luck with this DotW thing. Only been doing it 4 weeks and already found 3 I probably won't use again :( Only got 13 left to try.

AJ

I think that was the initial point of the exercise, and why a full week. Vodka Gimlet and I have been doing this for years. For her it has whetted her appetite to be a collector. For me it has cured me of wanting to try every deck ever made and whittled down my group of decks to ones I know and love and look forward to their next week in a year or two. For me...buying decks and not using them is poor stewardship of my funds and my life. :) I love not being swayed by mob mentality to buy decks I know just aren't me. I love waking up in the morning and thinking, oh goodie, time for my card of the day and spending time with my decks...

I think in the last two years I've bought six decks, all keepers.

Karmagoth

I think that was the initial point of the exercise, and why a full week. Vodka Gimlet and I have been doing this for years. For her it has whetted her appetite to be a collector. For me it has cured me of wanting to try every deck ever made and whittled down my group of decks to ones I know and love and look forward to their next week in a year or two. For me...buying decks and not using them is poor stewardship of my funds and my life. :) I love not being swayed by mob mentality to buy decks I know just aren't me. I love waking up in the morning and thinking, oh goodie, time for my card of the day and spending time with my decks...

I think in the last two years I've bought six decks, all keepers.

Oh I don't know :( I sort of feel obliged to connect with them all. Then I feel disappointed with myself because I must be missing something, so I'm obviously no good and should stop the whole thing. Then I run back to my comfort deck and all is well with the world until I remember that my comfort deck isn't deep, or arty, or trendy or historical or any of those things that everyone else seems to value, and I try to find another...... Maybe it's a newbie thing. Or maybe I'm just not DotW material.

I know, know... I'm trying too hard :)

AJ

There is no such thing as DOWmaterial...because there aren't any rules or requirements or even casual suggestions, it is all up to each person how they want to use their deck. Or if they want to use their deck.

A comfort deck is a prize indeed, one that comforts and supports and teaches, and if we didn't have the web and were lucky enough to have still found our way to the cards one deck is probably all most of us would have.
You are a lucky person to have that deck.

What you've learned so far is you have a number of deck for the trading forum. Way fun. And decks to look forward to in return. Way fun. New decks for the cost of postage. Way fun.

Tarot should be a joy, not an obligation, use it when and how You want.

edited to add: "until I remember that my comfort deck isn't deep, or arty, or trendy or historical or any of those things that everyone else seems to value"

No such person as 'everyone' either :) When I see a conversation slewing toward holier than thou because I 'get' deep and symbols and know yadayada, I just grin and think to myself "kaballaitout yer a$$" and continue on in my own happy way.

Karmagoth

Oh AJ, I've been crying most of the day (not about Tarot!) but you really made me chuckle. THANKYOU :heart: xxx