Who does NOT combine astrology and tarot?

tarotbear

To me tarot is tarot and astrology is astrology - 2 separate disciplines and not really anything to do with each other at all. As a user of magic I can see that there are correspondences everywhere and you can link many things but I think I'm just an earthy type of person and all that star stuff doesn't gel with me.

I've found that many people just assume that I'm into astrology because I'm into tarot - they tell me their star sign, rising sign and stuff like that and then are quite shocked when I say I know nothing about star signs..

This is EXACTLY how I feel - especially the second paragraph! Oh, I know a couple of rudimentary things because they related somehow to me (The King of Pents is a Taurus, that type of stuff). It you want to add EVERYTHING there is that can relate to tarot {and so many occult disciplines overlap} - Hey - knock yourself out! Personally - that Quabblah stuff ~ 'He's the Water of Fire' sounds stupid to say out loud, and dropping those phrases on a Querent makes you sound like an alien life form, IMHO.

No - I only read Tarot cards. They are a lifetime or two of learning unto themselves and I don't feel I need to learn a second lifetime discipline on top of it.

vee

I don't. I have a friend who is an astrologer and sometimes we have interesting conversations, but as Sulis said, it's a different discipline than mine, and my interest is only peripheral

gregory

I love (NOT) how everyone assumes that if you are into one "off-beat" thing, you are into all of them.

So I am assumed to be into paganism, shamanism, astrology, meditation, scrying, and any other thing that happens to come up in conversation. But emphatically not Christianity as - well, TAROT, you know... the DEVIL's picture book and that....

(The conversation will go: "Read an article about divining with potato peelings today" "Oh, gregory will be into that of course....")

Carla

Whenever I am asked for a reading, I am invariably asked, 'Do you need my date of birth?' I'm like, why? No. Just your question. And they always look a little surprised by that. :)

Le Fanu

I don't use astrology because I don't understand it.

I've studied no end of difficult, waffly things in my life like linguistics, literary theory and semiotics &c but all of them are a pushover compared to astrology.

It just will not go into my brain. I sometimes pretend to people who insist on explaining to me that yes, yes, yes I understand but it's really just to shut them up. I wonder if they see my eyes glazing over?

There are certain types of brain and my certain type of brain cannot process astrology.

Who cares? Life is rich enough.

AJ

This is EXACTLY how I feel - especially the second paragraph! Oh, I know a couple of rudimentary things because they related somehow to me (The King of Pents is a Taurus, that type of stuff). It you want to add EVERYTHING there is that can relate to tarot {and so many occult disciplines overlap} - Hey - knock yourself out! Personally - that Quabblah stuff ~ 'He's the Water of Fire' sounds stupid to say out loud, and dropping those phrases on a Querent makes you sound like an alien life form, IMHO.

But doesn't that King/Discs/Taurus all fall apart when using a deck that changes the elementals? That sort of thing is what makes it all feel so Sunday Newspaper Supplement to me, someone in the back room is making fun...

And Carla, no I don't. Although like others have mentioned, I've studied a lot on astrology.
I can see How someone might enjoy using it, but I can't see Why.

Carla

I don't use astrology because I don't understand it.

I'm surprised! I thought you knew everything. (I'm not being funny. I seriously thought you knew everything!) :D

GryffinSong

Not at all. Personally, I feel that tarot is a great way to trigger access into our own inner wisdom, and I prefer to use raw intuition for that.

Annabelle

Me!! Because I don't really believe in astrology and its validity.

Kosjitov

I don't have enough knowledge of astrology to really pair the two up. Though, if I had the option, I probably wouldn't- adding too much to the reading can really send you off course.