Who does NOT combine astrology and tarot?

gregory

I once had a reading that included EVERYTHING.

It was excellent and done by an excellent reader here.

I still don't understand all of it myself.... :confused:

Carla

It is perfectly alright to ignore the historical development of these decks, as long as one does not indulge in reverse snobbery toward those who do otherwise.

Nope, I'm just relieved that my lack of interest in these matters doesn't make me a 'lesser' reader.

Miss Divine

I was into astrology years ago. I spent years of learning and just all of a sudden lost interest. I guess it was just too much. I do believe in it though, because I know someone personally who is very accurate with predictions etc.
I've never attempted to mix astrology with Tarot. I don't see the need and have no desire to. It's just too much. There is (to me anyway) much more to life than being a study nerd.
:)

bogiesan

I took astronomy and physics in high school. Then again in college.
The conclusion of those hundreds of hours of research and reading was inescapable, even for a kid growing up in California in the 1960s and 70s: Celestial objects are very very very far away.

Masa

I took astronomy and physics in high school. Then again in college.
The conclusion of those hundreds of hours of research and reading was inescapable, even for a kid growing up in California in the 1960s and 70s: Celestial objects are very very very far away.

I love this. <3

It makes me think, I would probably find astrology more interesting if I believed the stars were actually a big pattern of lights printed on the surface of the sky. If they actually existed on the same two-dimensional plane together, then their relationships would seem to matter more. But because I know they exist in 3D space, I know their positions relative to one another are only an illusion caused by the fact that I'm standing RIGHT HERE in the universe.

Zezina

Me!! Because I don't really believe in astrology and its validity.

Well said, Annabelle - nor does anyone else who is really honest with themselves, believe in astrology these days.

Computerised horoscopes put paid to all the nonsense of 'You must have got your maths wrong when you erected the horoscope' when things didn't work out.

Once it all became computerized and unquestionably measurable, astrological prediction turned to dust.

Astrologers with the gift of the gab, as with Tarot, could manipulate the material in any horoscope - using house cusps, rulers, etc., to get any chart to say whatever they wanted to, in retrospect.

I often watched one of my astrology teachers do this, but ultimately it's meaningless, apart from giving the owner of the chart their five minutes in the sun at a price.

An accurate future prediction, apart from randomly or as the result of a reader's shrewd intuition, is impossible, despite the self-delusions of some sad souls.

Nevertheless, a lot of very good minds put much effort into creating astrology, and the complexity and mathematics of astrology can be fascinating for a while.

Myrrha

Well said, Annabelle - nor does anyone else who is really honest with themselves, believe in astrology these days.

Computerised horoscopes put paid to all the nonsense of 'You must have got your maths wrong when you erected the horoscope' when things didn't work out.

Once it all became computerized and unquestionably measurable, astrological prediction turned to dust.

But the astrology in tarot isn't really predictive. It is more a way to describe the nature of each card. Well, for me anyway but I don't read tarot predictively either.

There are a few decks (The Cosmic Tarot for example) with cards the are really difficult to understand without knowledge of their astrological underpinnings. I enjoyed learning about astrology and tarot but lately I've found that I get more out of readings that are more direct, that don't take the long way to the message by going through the planets and signs. Still there are a couple of cards, like the Two of Wands, where the more astrologically derived interpretation used in the Thoth, the Cosmic, the Tarot of Vampyres seems more useful than the one illustrated in the RWS.

Grizabella

I must say one thing about astrology, though. I once had a young lady in Portugal do a partial horoscope for me and I was so blown away that now I think I do believe it its validity. Now, mind you, I didn't know this lady except from an internet aquaintanceship, had never written to her or even conversed with her much at all on the internet. She didn't know anyone else I know, either. She hit on things so personal and so unique to me that it completely amazed me. Especially the fact that I have beautiful handwriting! All my life, since second grade when I learned cursive, people have always commented on my beautiful handwriting and she could never have known that by just a little contact on the internet. It isn't likely it was a lucky guess, either, because she seemed kind of confused about my reaction---which was above and beyond, let me tell you. LOL So there has to be something to it. I don't see how there couldn't be.

I still haven't learned it and don't intend to for purposes of Tarot, however. It just seems mind boggling to me, that's all. It falls into one of my "dumb spots", of which I have many, which include quabalah and higher math among other things. :p

Fianic

It's interesting how so many people in this thread don't really believe in Astrology or even Tarot, yet are so enthusiastic about it.

Grizabella

It's interesting how so many people in this thread don't really believe in Astrology or even Tarot, yet are so enthusiastic about it.

I do wholeheartedly believe in Tarot. :) And the longer I use it, the more I believe in it.