Reading While Drinking

iamtheare

I couldn't find any other topics on this but if there is one, then I apologize. But my inquiry is what have been your experiences/and opinions of reading cards while drinking alcohol or being inebriated under any other means?

Do you think the energy changes therefore so does the reading? Or what have you...

Kitichi

I haven't tried it, so I haven't seen how it affects me, but ... I feel different. While there is an aspect of it that seems similar to meditation/tarot/other spiritual work, there is more of other aspects that feel ... almost beyond that. Based on the energy I feel, I think that if I were to try tarot, it would have a good risk of being less accurate. Therefore, I don't.

I personally also don't do tarot after I've eaten (I feel "heavy" and feel like I can't get the right state of mind) or even drinking too much non-alcoholic beverages. I need to feel a little empty in my stomach. Something about (hot) tea feels good, though, so I can drink a little more of that than other drinks, and sometimes it will help me feel less full if I am still feeling a little full from a recent meal.

I also think this is a personal issue. Just as others have no issue reading tarot after eating (and yet I do), there are likely those who have no issue reading tarot after drinking alcohol. You have to find what works for you.

Bhavana

The lady who taught me to read playing cards, way back before tarot, would have the cards in one hand and a beer in the other - she was the grandmother of one of my childhood friends. She sat at the kitchen table all day, in her Grandma Housedress, complete with black socks and black Grandma Shoes, and in front of her would be her deck of cards, her smokes, and a beer. Always a can of beer.

ghost271

My father, who was a cowboy, knew a guy who always rode and rope while drunk. Once he was sober he couldnt lassoo a cow to save his life. So i guess its technically possible to get better readings while under the influence as well.

Grizabella

I've not drank for a good long time, so I don't drink when using the cards. I wouldn't feel that it would really be that conducive to reading well, but back in my drinking days, I had to drink to do anything so I'd have done it. :D I don't recommend it. My hat's off to those who can do it and do it well, though. :)

vee

I've read while drinking and had no problems. :) I don't know if I'd do an intensely personal reading for myself while drunk, a few glasses of wine and I might be bawling all over my cards. :laugh:, but otherwise I don't think it's much different.

MissJo

I don't really drink and have never read while drunk.

However, I do smoke cannabis for medicinal, spiritual and recreational reasons (why lie, I do it for multiple reasons!) and I have found that it's helped me be a better reader. You get in a different head-space, the altered state of consciousness really clicked with Tarot though I can't quite explain how. I've since taught myself how to do the same thing sober though...

I really want to try reading on shrooms someday too...

saleeneh

i work at a wine bar

So the option is always available and I personally dont do it. I will wait till the end of the evening to have a glass of wine. Sometimes I have had people come in at the last minute and want readings while I am having my one glass of wine, and I do not feel that it effects the quality of the reading but I do know that it "feels" harder for me to connect with the cards. I am sure there are people that feel differently, thinking that a little alcohol will loosen you up. But I feel that there are times that the message needs to be censored and it is much more difficult to do that when you have been drinking.
For instance, last night a woman came to me asking about her brother who was in the armed forces and being sent to Iraq this week. She wanted to know how he would be etc.. what I saw did not look good. (not death but wounded) I was careful not to speak on that but to talk instead about what she could do to ease her parents sadness etc. I might have let something slip if I had been drinking.

Rev_Vesta

I think this is such a personal thing...

Since I have had my store in town and are doing readings everyday I have found my vibrations are in a different state and find it really difficult for me to even drink a glass of alcohol at any time..... I have totally stopped drinking on any level......

I think this may becasue of the healing modalities I also work with during every day....

I think it is very important to decide for youself about how alcohol affects your readings and whether you can honestly say you give compassionate accurate readings after drinking an excess of alcohol......

tarotbear

To tell you the truth, I am fascinated by the documentary 'Absinthe' and the un-banning of absinthe around the world - purported to make you more 'lucid' - also the name of one of the brands of 'new' absinthe.

Will there be future 'Tarot RUI' - Tarot Readings Under an Influence ?

Is this really necessary?