How long does it take to wear out a tarot deck?

feynrir

You know. Like the Tootsie Pop question, only for tarot decks.

I know that there are a lot of questions that go along with this one--"How worn out is 'worn out'?" "You know different cardstocks/laminates wear out differently, right?", etc. I'm just looking for firsthand experiences with decks that you-out-there have completely worn out to where you either do not use it anymore, or treat it ultra gingerly.

The name of the deck and details like that would be helpful! :) Thank you!

Darkmage

My University Press RWS is in a genteel retirement in my closet. I used it nearly daily for a good 25 years or so. The cards are still in good shape compared to some worn decks I've seen, though my Page of Wands is a bit tattered and some of the cards faded for my taste.

It lasted me through school, cross country moves, and trips to Europe, so it's seen a lot. It's taken a lot of use and abuse over the years, and since it's OOP, I still want to keep it in relatively decent shape.

How long a deck takes to wear out depends on printing quality, how you use it, and how much you use it.

Mi-Shell

As a rule I do not "wear out" any of my decks - but my clients do.
- reading outside in damp weather,
- when the wind blows the of card into the grass,
- when the client's kids get a hold of the part of the deck not in use
- when a drink spills at a benefit or party

I had to "retire" 1 Greenwood deck (reprinted working copy)
1 DruidCraft deck
and
2 Medicine Card oracle decks

feynrir

My University Press RWS is in a genteel retirement in my closet. I used it nearly daily for a good 25 years or so. The cards are still in good shape compared to some worn decks I've seen, though my Page of Wands is a bit tattered and some of the cards faded for my taste.

It lasted me through school, cross country moves, and trips to Europe, so it's seen a lot. It's taken a lot of use and abuse over the years, and since it's OOP, I still want to keep it in relatively decent shape.

How long a deck takes to wear out depends on printing quality, how you use it, and how much you use it.

Did you keep this one in its original box the whole time, Darkmage?? That would really be something.

I'd also be curious if you riffle shuffle or if you use a different method.

Clockwork Ghost

I think it depends on many things - decks can 'wear out' and give strange and confused readings if your own energy changes, or you naturally develop as a reader into a different paradigm of spiritual consciousness. I started on the Rider-Waite like most people, I got deeply into a study of the occult and switched to the Thoth deck (I know Rider-Waite has strong occult influences, but Crowley was my hero ;) ) - my first deck just didn't fit my practice, and had 'worn out' for me.

As for physically wearing a deck out, that depends on how you treat it and where you use it. My current Deviant Moon deck is pretty battered around the edges from being shuffled so many times, but it's still usable. I'll definitely retire it if the pictures start pulling away from the backs, or if shuffling it might result in serious damage to the cards themselves, but I see a few years of life left in it yet :)

ravenest

How long to wear out a deck ?

Long ? or uses ? 12 months or 20,000 km ?

I guess .... Until you cant tell one card from another, how ever long that takes one.

Now you have me wondering if a tarot factory somewhere has a test and quality control facility, a bench with old retired tarot readers constantly shuffling and dealing out cards and collecting them and shuffling again.

Holly doll

Long ? or uses ? 12 months or 20,000 km ?

Now you have me wondering if a tarot factory somewhere has a test and quality control facility, a bench with old retired tarot readers constantly shuffling and dealing out cards and collecting them and shuffling again.

Like one of those commercials with machines opening & closing refrigerator doors 50,000 times... :bugeyed:

You know when tarot decks have passed their use by date - they somehow get banished to the deepest, darkest recesses of a storage space... Or they run away & hide from the manic shufflers ;)

Darkmage

Did you keep this one in its original box the whole time, Darkmage?? That would really be something.

I'd also be curious if you riffle shuffle or if you use a different method.

The tuck box has long since been destroyed. I riffle shuffle btw. Shuffling overhand will usually split cards IME, so riffling works best. My cards aren't warped, either.

VGimlet

My Aquarian is pretty worn, but it was my only deck for 29 years.

It is in semi-retirement, but I still bring it out once in awhile.

nisaba

You know. Like the Tootsie Pop question, only for tarot decks.

I know that there are a lot of questions that go along with this one--"How worn out is 'worn out'?" "You know different cardstocks/laminates wear out differently, right?", etc. I'm just looking for firsthand experiences with decks that you-out-there have completely worn out to where you either do not use it anymore, or treat it ultra gingerly.

The name of the deck and details like that would be helpful! :) Thank you!

I have quite a number of decks that are well over twenty years old, and many of them have been very well-used. None of them are damaged: some of them are slightly faded but still quite okay to look at, and a few of them have a softened texture but are still quite shuffleable.

Of course, I don't riffle-shuffle, that tends to wear out decks.

I wouldn't be too worried about your decks' longevity.