How did you learn Tarot?

Aquarius925

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and new to learning Tarot. I'm curious how everyone got started in Tarot, and for those of you that are experts, how did you learn Tarot? How did you improve your intuition? I'm wondering if I should find someone to have 1:1 lessons from. And I guess the biggest question I have is how did you learn all the different meanings of the cards? I did a reading a few days ago for myself and had 3 different books going at the same time.

Michael Sternbach

Some 30 years ago, I started by reading for myself, then for people in my environment. I first closely adhered to a few books, but after a while I had developed a "feel" for what the cards meant in a particular context, so I started talking freely.

Also, I started with simple spreads first, before trying some more challenging ones.

I think using more than one book fairly early on is a really good idea, for no book covers all the possible meanings of any given card.

To get to know the cards quicker, I recommend to do a daily single draw; it doesn't always have to be: "What is going to happen today?"; you can also ask what theme to pay attention now, what does your inner reality look like at the moment etc.

I also recommend having a journal in which you keep writing down your insights into every card.

Over time, I learned about things like the Kabbalah, Astrology and temote viewing, which all enhanced my skills also in the area of Tarot reading.

m4sc

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and new to learning Tarot. I'm curious how everyone got started in Tarot, and for those of you that are experts, how did you learn Tarot? How did you improve your intuition? I'm wondering if I should find someone to have 1:1 lessons from. And I guess the biggest question I have is how did you learn all the different meanings of the cards? I did a reading a few days ago for myself and had 3 different books going at the same time.

I started using Tarot in my mid teens as desperate attempt to control my relationship with spirit. It was so controversial for me as I was raised in a strict catholic environment and felt trapped. Tarot to me is a means of reading energy and channels in a controlled and structured manner.

I am self taught as I didn't have the money to purchase books and there wasn't any in our library at that time :) When I'm Fully in tune I don't need the cards or any other type of mediumship to help me foresee the past present and future but that's a gift I sporadically receive.

From my experience and analysis, if you want to increase your intuition you need increase your mind capacity. Yes, get out there and research, join groups, study books but MOST of all "live life to the fullest".. Pay attention to your internal and external environment because every person you see is represented by a Tarot card - meaning they are going through life lessons.

Eventually you'll start to see commonalities in people and the corresponding cards. These commonalities are triggers for the future also known as "signs".. Remember these and store them away. As its the signs that your subconscious reads that gives way to intuition.

Hope this helps.

From-Ashes

I found Tarot back in the mid-90's when I got interested in all things 'occult.' I find myself going back to the cards more and more as I get older. I'm self-taught as well. There just wasn't much information out there in the pre-internet days, especially in rural areas like the one I grew up in. Over the years a few books have come to me, and the internet helps too. (I've spent the last few days just reading here and WOW there is so much to learn.)

I'm still working on remembering all of the cards -- reading mostly for me meant no one cared if i had to look at the LWB :) -- but I found the Fool's Journey to be helpful for the Majors.

If you don't already, meditation can help with intuition. Sometimes I will meditate on one particular card, sometimes just focus on hearing my inner voice.

LadyV

I was first introduced to tarot by a college friend who occasionally read for me. A few years later, I finally decided to try it myself. I've only been at it for about three years now, but just in that short amount of time I've learned so much thanks to this site.

Laurelle

I bought my first deck in 1994. The book that came with it was confusing to me, so I just went with the pictures. That's how I learned, by meditating on the pictures. I was already very intuitive, so tarot helped me develop my skill.

I then started reading for other people shortly after, which really helped me develop meaning to each card.

I have since then read a few books on tarot, which are always insightful and give more meaning.

I now study with an organization called the Builders of the Adytum (BOTA). I enjoy this as well.

I there are also some great websites that are dedicated to giving tarot definitions. Google will help with that.

I really enjoy this forum and find it's a great learning tool as well as a community of people who have my same interests.

Aquarius925

Thank you!

Thank you for the responses! I definitely keep a journal and write down the spreads, cards pulled and my interpretations and that helps a lot. It's also helpful because I've been finding that I seem to pull similar cards when I do readings for myself.

I think starting to get into the habit of pulling a daily card would also be beneficial. Another question I was curious to know is whether or not everyone has a 'designated' area where they do tarot. I bounce around from either my bedroom, on the couch, or dining table (even sometimes at work) and I'm wondering if that impacts the readings or energy.

Tanga

This thread should really be in the 'Talking Tarot' section of AT.
Perhaps a moderator will move it there at some point...

To learn - I read books and wrote stuff down in a notebook.
One holiday - I went away and spent every morning meditating on a selection of cards.
Then later, I bought a Hanson-Roberts deck and wrote my one-word-meanings in the margins of the deck (since then - I've trimmed the margins off as I no longer need them).
And finally - I booked myself on a Tarot reading course for a year.

INIVEA

well my honest answer is that I am still learning Tarot.

Let me explain, every time I get a new deck, I start back at square one. Each new deck has it's own language, and every time I either have to learn that language or get a translator.

Point is, it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back. you slowly or gradually move forward.

Some decks will have similar basic card meanings, others not. They all follow a different system. some the same, but you still have to learn how to interpret the cards. Some you just don't get no matter what you do. Some Deck have meaning that go so far out there (deviate) from well known systems, yet it has it's own system.

your start, get going, stop, start again, get going, stop, start again, and so on.

Best advise, is stick to the basics, and follow which ever deck you decided to use. even if means your starting over.

For me I am still at, Wash, rinse, repeat (instructions on a Shampoo bottle) lol eventually I maybe able to get to the conditioner (massage thoroughly through hair wait 3 - 5 min. then rinse, no need to repeat) lol, down the road, I might even get to the stage, where I style my own hair, bring out the flat iron. lol

moonthorns

I'm new as well, my deck is the Dragons Tarot, I find using symbolism in the card helps. For example. My HIEROPHANT card illustrates a dragon(leviathan) sleeping peacefully at the bottom of the ocean surrounded by the remains of Atlantis and holding a cross in its tail. The meanings of this card(there are many, but i'm only going to give the three examples that came with its booklet) is first steps, advice and guidance. For "first steps" I use the dragon's foot, for "advice" I've symbolized the cross, and for "guidance" I've symbolized a wrecked ship among the Atlantis wreckage.
I keep a journal and log all the meanings a card has as well as all it's information that was given with its booklet(including the backstory/what the image of the card is). I find this gives me a better understanding of the card's over all meaning as well as keeping a record/log I can go back and look to when i'm confused.
I'm self teaching myself as well as being advised by an expert tarot reader I came in contact with. I suggest befriended such a person that can be your go-to for advise.
I hope i've helped! xoxo