Paper cutter or Scissors for Trimming cards?

JylliM

I trimmed my Druidcraft today using scissors. Not as fiddly as I expected and I'm happy with how it turned out. I've left the sharp corners but if they annoy me I'll probably try rounding them with nail clippers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 186

Marcus R

JylliM,
I like the square cut which keeps the borders. Perhaps just nip the corners with the scissors if they do annoy. I did that with my Conver.
Is the deck easier to shuffle? Are the cards firmer or still feel flimsy?

TinySpark

I'm impressed by all the scissors people. :) I could never cut a straight line with scissors. My grandmother was a seamstress and she could do it effortlessly while my cuts always came out elliptical. haha. I think I am too impatient and not crafty enough to be able to cut straight.

I use the following:

Fiskars corner rounder, size small
Fiskars 12 Inch Portable Rotary Paper Trimmer

(I've so far done three decks (wildwood, druidcraft, and dark goddess) with these two and the rounder works like a charm still, but I will need to replace the blade on the rotary paper trimmer before I try another deck... not bad for nearly 1200 cuts...)

I've also found that some cheap sandpaper (fine grain) helps make the edges more even and less sharp...

Laura Borealis

Some scissors cut crooked, too. I bought new, expensive scissors and the blades were not at all straight. Needless to say I took them back! But always test your scissors on some lined paper before cutting borders.

Laura Borealis

I trimmed my Druidcraft today using scissors. Not as fiddly as I expected and I'm happy with how it turned out. I've left the sharp corners but if they annoy me I'll probably try rounding them with nail clippers.

That looks great! :thumbsup:

BlueLotus

I trimmed and corner rounded quite a few decks in my time.

Not sure about scissors, I have always used the paper cutter; it's faster, and it did not let me down.

Well, in my haste I cut the titles of a couple of decks by mistake, and these decks were rendered useless, so I threw them away (Pirates, and Enchanted tarots) , and on another occasion I trimmed a deck (Sun and Moon Tarot) that already had smallish cards and incoherent borders, and the end result was devastatingly near tiny, the size of regular Lenormand cards.

But otherwise, and you can check my profile for trimmed decks, I am quite proud of most of my trimming work, particularly on oversized decks, and ones with largish borders.

Oh, and my Druid Craft is one I am proud of the end result; I encourage you to go ahead and trim it, either way. The cards will look amazingly beautiful.

That was just my humble opinion. ;)

JylliM

JylliM,
I like the square cut which keeps the borders. Perhaps just nip the corners with the scissors if they do annoy. I did that with my Conver.
Is the deck easier to shuffle? Are the cards firmer or still feel flimsy?

The deck is heaps easier to shuffle. I now no longer have cards dropping out all over the place. Result! They do feel firmer, too. I don't think the corners will be a problem unless I decide to keep the cards in a silk lined bag, in which case they might damage the fabric. For now, I've found an unused wooden box which is the perfect size.

That looks great! :thumbsup:

Thankyou! :)