tarot: offensive

Ellie121

Hi everyone,
something occured this evening and i feel i have to post it here-

Im really quite (upset?) im not sure.

Me and my cousins were joking around about some stuff when my cousins father joked that i should check his daughters love life in the tarot-
when i said... yeah sure (sarcastically) his attitude TOTALLY changed-

he was like- dont you dare- never ever.
I was shocked at how anti-tarot he is- like its a dangerous thing-

i think tarot is extremely misunderstood.
Im quite offended by this since i devote so much time to learning and then someone goes- dont you dare use the cards on her.

quite confused right now.

Sian100

Unfortunately such responses are quite common.

My friend told me I was "demonised" because I read tarot cards.

Ellie121

yeah its those kind of extreme reponses that annoy me.
people dont even take the time to find out what tarot is.
they think its mystical bull used for evil.

crazy !

Tarotphelia

Oo- uncomfortable ! I'd be wondering if that kind of attitude was what was really going on behind my back the whole time. In my case , it probably would be.

Sometimes I think just mentioning tarot in public is breaching some kind of unwritten social law. I felt that way in the new age store that had no tarots . (different thread)

Are people secretly loathing us for our tarot activities ? Are they humoring us and rolling their eyes behind our backs ? Are they stereotyping us as demon dirt , or new age freakies who don't understand the 'real world' ? Are they making the sign of the cross when they see us coming ? Or thinking of calling the mental health authorities ?

Hmm. Good thing they don't know what I think about them ! })

Al Si'ra

Aw.. i know how it feels..personally..just because of it..i quit reading for friends.. because they really can't keep their facial expressions and verbal mocks to themselves.. well it's their loss.. ;) and they see it now..

alexeales

sometimes I think people like to be ignorant. then I thinkg that sometimes people have something to hide!

tarotbear

My aunt said to me recently "I don't see how any intelligent person can believe in Tarot."

I haven't talked to her since.

Shaymus

It's all just ignorance, pure and simple. For example, I remember a friend of mine commenting on a book and saying that she did not like it at all and that people should not read it, and was quite determined in her statement (I don't remember the book, but I do remember that I enjoyed it). Anyway, when I questioned her about whether she read it or not, she said "heck no, but I know I wouldn't like it!"

Same with Tarot, only those who haven't studied it and know practically nothing about it, make statements such as 'it's of the devil' or 'it's all baloney'.

My advice, just move on, don't try to defend Tarot to those people because they have already made up their minds with no knowledge. Sad, isn't it.

Shaymus

memries

As they say Shaymus "Ignorance is Bliss"

diane drizzy

I get that from time to time about how evil or scary tarot is. So I then give my Fool's Journey lecture and the aspects of life in the cards-and aren't they sorry they said anything then!