Persecuted at work!

westsidegirlygirl

My boss got in trouble today because I was reading tarot cards at work (I wasn't "on the clock," the nature of my job doesn't require me to be anywhere specific except in class during class). It's "instructor appreciation week," so I decided to appreciate everybody with free readings. All in fun.

Should I be surprised? I guess not. Am I surprised? Kind of. I know there are people "out there" that have screwy perceptions of cards being "evil" - but I have always perceived this as really juvenile. It was my boss's boss - and the boss above him, who came down on my program director.

I am still surprised, though I shouldn't be, that someone high up in the organization would admit to something as silly as feeling threatened or offended by tarot cards. I mean, this is a "blue state," I teach at a college It should be an atmosphere that is "open minded" "diverse" "liberal" or whatever, right?

I guess not. So much for stereotypes. Call me naive, but I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around it. I also feel bad because I really like my boss (I know I'm lucky) and I hated to cause him a headache.

zazen

westsidegirlygirl,
so sorry, but not surprised, to hear your news.

Love
zazen

Venefica

Mind Wrapping

Sometimes our psyche commands situations such as these to enter our experience so that we may expand our awareness outside of ourselves and our perceptions.

The presence of this event might serve as a broadening of perceptual horizons - allowing acknowledgment that one view point (although valid) is certainly not the only view point.

With highest regards,
A.

HearthCricket

I am sorry to hear of your situation. I think I am blessed to live in New England, where in most cases if someone pulled out tarot cards for free readings people would be lining up. There are always the few who think tarot is evil and will roll their eyes in dismay, like my own sister. Of course, I then ask her if she believes in it. When she says no, they are just pieces of cardboard with weird pictures on it, I ask her what is she worried about, then? That usually quiets her down and gives her some food for thought! That being said, I am careful who I allow into my inner sanctum, so to speak. I am sure my in-laws would be shocked if they knew I read and collected tarot, but I am often shocked over some of their actions, so I guess we are even on that!

ravenest

That sucks. But I guess some people will project all types of crud into their work situation. If you feel bad about your boss getting into trouble you could write a good letter to whoever explaining the situation, how you meant no offence, how what you did could actually help workmates and if it is a problem you will desist.
However, that's just an idea, if done it could backfire on you and re-direct the 'higher bosses' insecurites at you.

Abrac

Did your boss give you a specific reason why you had to stop? If not, maybe you could ask him.

-fof

catlin

westsidegirlygirl said:
I am still surprised, though I shouldn't be, that someone high up in the organization would admit to something as silly as feeling threatened or offended by tarot cards.

Hi westsidegirlygirl,
I am sorry to hear your free readings were not appreciated at work but this does not astonish me. I am working full time as a secretary and even I got into trouble with our HR department when I did my first public readings during a Fair in the city in my holiday! Of course they could not do anything official about it because it I was on holiday and I did nothing offensive to the company and I flatly told them that.

You are a teacher and I suppose this is a bit different. Maybe that guy was afraid that there might be parents around who might cause an upstir because they could feel offended or were afraid for their children. I think best thing would be to apologize (you have done nothing wrong of course, but maybe this would be better to calm the situation) and tell your boss or the other guy that you won't do any more readings on school ground.

MystiqueMoonlight

I don't think you should apologise (sorry to disagree Catlin) but for you to ponder over it absorbs the negative karma they created with this situation.

People always fear that which is unfamiliar to them and in this case you brought fear (to some level) into someone's moment. Don't be disheartened by this as your Soul's learning path brought you to that point. Perhaps ask yourself what you personally can learn by this experience, better yet consult your deck and let us know what the outcome was.

firecatpickles

Personally, I would go directly to the University ombudsman. To put up with that crap?

KK
:spade:

wolfmaiden58

Actually, that's not a bad idea.......but also consider - if you're an employee of the university (faculty member) - go to the Faculty Association (union) - or corresponding union and lodge a complaint of religious discrimination (if you're wiccan, pagan, ULC, whatever.....make one up if you have to). The union's will be straight onto this, especially as it seems as if you are being intimidated.
For goodness sakes, don't apologise!!