Lisa Hunt's Fairy Tale Tarot

Jen P

I would be interested to know what people think of Lisa Hunt's Fairy Tale Tarot. On a youtube live chat video, a number of people said it was on their wish list and that it was going for around $400. Do you own it? Do you use it or is it just for collecting? Is it on your wish list and how much would you consider paying for it/selling it for/how much do you think it's worth? What do you think of the deck? Pros/Cons?

Thanks for your input.

Padma

It's an ok deck, but I like the Baba Studios fairy tale deck better!

By the way, you can get Lisa Hunt's Fairy Tale Tarot app at Fool's Dog Apps, along with the corresponding book that goes with it. I got the app for either $3.99 or $4.99, I think it was. A lot cheaper than $400! :bugeyed:

I'd buy the app first, to see if you really wanted to spend $400 getting the deck ;)

(I think too you can get it in other languages than English for cheaper, if you search the web carefully).

ana luisa

I have mixed feelings about this deck. I have it but have a hard time using it. The art is wonderful but it is one of those decks that require the knowledge of the stories behind the pictures. I keep going back to each tale for a better interpretation but that's not how I like to read...

Jen P

It's an ok deck, but I like the Baba Studios fairy tale deck better!

By the way, you can get Lisa Hunt's Fairy Tale Tarot app at Fool's Dog Apps, along with the corresponding book that goes with it. I got the app for either $3.99 or $4.99, I think it was. A lot cheaper than $400! :bugeyed:

I'd buy the app first, to see if you really wanted to spend $400 getting the deck ;)

(I think too you can get it in other languages than English for cheaper, if you search the web carefully).

Do you have the Baba deck? I think it goes for about $400 too?

Padma

You can usually buy the Baba deck here in tarot trading when someone wants to sell it. It normally goes for around $80 to $100. :)

Yes, I have the Baba deck and book. I love it!

Padma

I have mixed feelings about this deck. I have it but have a hard time using it. The art is wonderful but it is one of those decks that require the knowledge of the stories behind the pictures. I keep going back to each tale for a better interpretation but that's not how I like to read...

I gave up on doing that with either the Baba or the Hunt fairy tale decks. Because you are right, it is distracting! I just say what I see! Maybe the Baba lends itself better to that style, though. The art in Hunt's deck is different.

Le Fanu

I love the Lisa Hunt Fairy Tale Tarot. I have a couple of English editions (picked up when it was easily available from the Book Depository) and then I picked up a French edition much more cheaply later on when the deck became rare. I use the French cards most to read with but I have the book in English. Plus the text of the stories is in the app.

After using it for a while, you get to know the stories. I'd say about 50% of the cards are well known stories, maybe more. I did a daily draw on the app on the way to work for a period and read the stories on my iPad whilst commuting. Within a couple of months I pretty much knew my way round the deck. Now I see the cards and while I have the story as background, I can read the card more spontaneously.

It is a lovely deck. One of my favourites. It's good to have a deck that requires a bit of work. I also like the feeling of using a slice of a greater narrative in a reading. That's how I read it - slices of a much bigger narrative. I wouldn't use the deck for a Celtic Cross or anything but one to three card spreads work nicely.

gregory

I like it a lot - better than the MRP one, actually. But I do NOT like it $400 worth.

There was a rumour there might be a reprint - might be worth asking Llewellyn ?