Playing Marseille

Shade

I've been enjoying the previews Ryan Edward has shared on Facebook of his upcoming Playing Marseille - I thought it was an especially bold move to paint "outside the lines" in the deck. Since most of his preview images have only been available on social media there hasn't been anything I could easily post in here but a recent preview of the deck has plenty images of the cards:

https://taroflexions.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/marseille-playing-cards/

A limited edition will be available soon and a mass market will follow in 2018. I think they are gorgeous and as an avid fan of his Maybe Lenormand I will be scooping this one up as well.

JylliM

I'm seriously considering saving up for this one.

Le Fanu

I thought it was an especially bold move to paint "outside the lines" in the deck.
Could you explain what you mean by this -are you speaking metaphorically? I have had a look at the deck and can't quite see what this could mean. It's a curious deck, very much in the style of his angular Lenormand, and if you like that I can see how this would appeal. But isn't it imitating the woodblockiness of the original Marseilles?

JylliM

Could you explain what you mean by this -are you speaking metaphorically? I have had a look at the deck and can't quite see what this could mean. It's a curious deck, very much in the style of his angular Lenormand, and if you like that I can see how this would appeal. But isn't it imitating the woodblockiness of the original Marseilles?

He literally has not kept within the line work of the drawings when applying the paint. It doesn't look woodblocky to me, it's definitely quite fluid line drawing.

I like the fact that the playing card symbols are incorporated, as I read Marseille pips like playing cards.

Barleywine

It's obviously intentional here, but when I got that sort of thing in my own watercolor painting it was because my brush control was poor, resulting in some "bleeding." To me it comes across as informal, even a bit "primitive."

Shade

In earlier versions of the art that he shared, he colored entirely within the lines of the cards. Later he decided on this approach to the color which is a bit more energetic and suggestive of a Renaissance era deck of cards for tavern gamblers.

Le Fanu

Thanks for that, Shade. Much more in keeping with the tradition. So much a part of it that I couldn't really notice it. I'm so used to my Marseilles decks being like that!

Morwenna

I wonder, if this is a playing card deck, and a Marseilles, is he going to have 4 courts per suit or 3?

mrpants

Simply gorgeous!

Shade

Here are more images from his Facebook posts

Attachments

• playing 1.jpg
    playing 1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 441
  • playing 2.jpg
    playing 2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 450
  • playing 3.jpg