One Deck Wonder

Skydancer

Better late than never??

I'm going to do this also; work with only one deck for an extended period of time. I'm quite comfortable with RWSs (like Ator the best!) and now I'm stretching my wings. I've chosen to only work with the Haindl. Which includes both Rachel's books, and also the one on the Kabbala. (however you spell it). Which has Haindl's Tree of Life poster. Those combined will be all I'll use. No other tarot deck. So I began really about 4 or 5 days ago - haven't been able to put any of it down since - so now I'm making it official. :)

Sept. 15, 2007 - until .......... ??

Ann
*S*

And I'm not even going to look at new decks here at AT either. Now THAT is going to be hard. Can we say "withdrawal" ... :bugeyed:

Emily

I'm still sticking with the Liber T, I started to use it just over 2 weeks ago and I've not even handled another deck in this time.

I usually fall hard for my decks, I loved the Old Path the deck I did the One Deck Wonder study with 2 years ago and I've always loved the Morgan Greer but with the Liber T its not love, its fascination, this deck fascinates me. I think the images are hard hitting but not negative now (and I did think they were negative not so long ago), the colours used are thought provoking - the whole decks makes you use your brain and I really like that. :)

EarthAngel2911

Checking in. I've been working with the Universal Fantasy for 6 months now. Gotta tell you, I never thought I would last this long! I originally intended to only stick with one deck for 2 months and then move on. But I've developed such a bond with this deck, that even though I always carry at least three decks with me (yes, my purse is VERY heavy), I only reach for the UFT. I know that when I draw these cards, they will give me clear answers.

It's fascinating, really. I've never thought of myself as very intuitive, and I originally learned tarot with the RWS and how to get meanings from the images. Not necessarily using the LWB, but developing my own meanings that never strayed very far from the multitude of books out there.

Then along came the Universal Fantasy. This deck seems at first to be based on the RWS, but there are many cards that don't remotely resemble the RWS, and some don't appear to until you really meditate on the image and you can catch a tiny thread of connection.

So, this deck was initially very challenging for me because I had to forget everything else I had ever learned and the let the deck speak to me. It took a few weeks to do that, but my reading technique has definitely changed because of the time I have spent using this deck. I no longer see the title of the card and think, "Oh, that card means this." I look at the image and write down the very first thing that comes to my mind. Then I expand on that (I write down every reading I do in my reading journal) and almost always I come away with an epiphany. It's been glorious! (And I'm sure it helps that I don't care for this LWB so I never even bother carrying it with me.)

So, even though I have been itching to use any one of the multitude of decks I own, I just don't want to leave this deck yet.

This exercise has been the best thing to ever happen to me, tarot wise. So, even though LB hasn't been here in months, I have to thank him for starting this thread. I found it at just the right time, and it has made all the difference. :D

thorhammer

EarthAngel2911 said:
Checking in. I've been working with the Universal Fantasy for 6 months now. Gotta tell you, I never thought I would last this long! I originally intended to only stick with one deck for 2 months and then move on. But I've developed such a bond with this deck, that even though I always carry at least three decks with me (yes, my purse is VERY heavy), I only reach for the UFT. I know that when I draw these cards, they will give me clear answers.

I'm so glad someone's given a really good *response* to this deck, as it's up the top of my "intended" list (as distinct from my wishlist). It sounds like this is an extraordinary deck. I don't think i'm ready just yet to leave my Runic alone, and I'm considering my as-yet-unopened Babylonian for the Southern Summer, but the UF might be a good start for next Winter . . .

Thanks for the rave!

\m/ Kat

RubyV

Just checking in.

Even tho I've bought some stuff, I'm happy to say that with very few exceptions (I did a party recently and someone really wanted the Vargo deck), I've been carrying my trimmed DC everywhere. I've been too busy over the summer to read much, but when I did read, or just play, it was my trusty druidcraft. We have quite the bond now.

Skydancer

For what it's worth, the Universal Fantasy is a fantastic deck. Amazing. Everytime you work with a card there's more to see - just like you said. More and more little story threads that come poking out, begging to be tugged.

Enjoy!
If I weren't into Haindl that would have been the deck I'd be working with. So I keep it in mind, (they have a way of getting into your head), even though I'm up to my eyeballs in Runes and I-Ching!!

*S*

faunabay

I love my Universal Fantasy as well. I'm doing the 21 Ways steps with it. It's a beautiful deck and like Skydancer said you get so many stories out of each card!! Very cool deck!! ~~Just my two cents~~ :)

glaive

I've been bonding with the Thoth over the last few months, so I think I'll try the ODW with it. I'm concerned that the images might not translate for public readings like a deck with illustrated minors, but we'll see. The readings that I've done publicly on the Thoth went really well. I just have some fear (yeah yeah) that the images in the Thoth won't click with random people off the street. Who knows? Maybe the people will surprise me.

Yurikome

Hi people. I think this is a wonderful idea and I've made up my mind about doing a one deck wonder for 6 months. Starting on Halloween ;) The problem is, the closer the date, the more unsure I am which deck I want to try it with. My first choice was the Gothic Tarot of Vampires, since that's the one I use most often anyway, I'd just have to stop the once in a while consulting with other decks. But now I'm thinking - where's the challenge in that? How about going with the Tarot of the Origins? Or is that too complicated and will only get me down? Or maybe the most benefits will come from using a more universal deck, like the Universal Fantasy Tarot (illustrations are a bit full for me), or the Morgan Greer (nice but big and a bit too bright perhaps)? Arrrgh

Sheri

At the End of 5 Months with Grimaud TdM

I will be ending my exclusive work with this deck now. I really like reading with non-scenic pips and feel that I have really grown through the study and use of this deck - I took it to an Intuitive Arts Fair this last weekend... but no one picked it. I think Marseille artwork is an "acquired" taste. :) I was afraid if it was the only deck I took to read with, I wouldn't get anyone as the Marseille would have been competing with a Llewellyn and Froud's Faeries at the very least. I took the Golden with me and that is the deck EVERYONE wanted me to use.

I will be switching over to a Tarot Egiziano to work with now - it's quite unusual and differently formatted. I find it intriguing and it also has non-scenic pips, so my work with them can continue.

It will be interesting to see how I do with this one :D

Tarocco Egiziano