Pulling cards based on your fears?

reikigirl

Hi all. I'm wordering if it's possible you can pull cards that are based on your fears rather than what's really going on? An example: having been dumped many times and pulling the three of swords each time before the breakup, then being in a solid relationship and then constantly pulling three of swords and tower card but positive cards as well. Could that be your fear of the relationship ending because of the past?

barefootlife

A lot of people have trouble reading for themselves when they're in emotionally fraught situations, or ones that involve past trauma, so you're not alone there.

If you hang around on these boards and post for a bit, you'll get access to the reading exchanges forum, where people put up posts offering to do readings in exchange for feedback and sometimes also a reading for themselves. You might get clearer answers if you have someone else read for you, and it's good practice for everyone.

Grizabella

I've found that I read cards in groups rather than in singles because context tells the tale much better than a single card. (That's how it works for me, but many others prefer fewer cards and that's okay, too. :) )

Anyway, no card always means the same thing, whether you draw more cards or fewer and it's just a matter of sensing what the meaning is in every situation.

Maybe a helpful exercise would be to take the 3 of Swords and put other cards after it, determining what that second card brings to the interpretation. Do this all the way through the deck and, if you keep a journal, write down your interpretations all the way through.

Once you've done the whole deck that way, then shuffle your cards up and put a second cardbehind the 3 of Swords, continuing all through the deck as before. For instance, 4 of Coins followed by 3 of Swords, etc. always putting your second card first rather than second.

I don't know if I've explained it in a very understandable way, so if I confused you, let me know and I'll try to do better.

If you want to carry this exercise further, then try adding a 3rd card to the mix. One before 3 of Swords and one after. Or two before and then moving on to two after.

Doing this exercise should help you to see how the meaning of the "negative" card changes when you're reading more than one at a time together. :)