Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot

ncefafn

baba-prague said:

Yes - Alex is happily working out if there are cards we can put the kittens in - Six of Cups?

Oh, this would be wonderful! A bunch of little kittens tumbling over cups . . . !!!

As for the Queen of Cups, she is delightful, and I love the little fish fountain in the background.

Kim

baba-prague

ncefafn said:
Oh, this would be wonderful! A bunch of little kittens tumbling over cups . . . !!!

We'd have to get Minnie's permission of course. Could be difficult as we haven't told her yet we substituted her in the Queen of Cups. She was originally the Queen but she is a bit "street" looking for this card - but no tactful way of breaking that to her.

HudsonGray

Will you be giving a deck to the director of the museum there? It'd be a really nice thing to do, considering all the photos you're using from their collection of items. Might even get the deck carried in their gift shop (cross marketing is to be encouraged!).

baba-prague

Hudson,
We could try. Things here are hard to describe. The museum director could well decide to take offence.

We did pay a fee for the photos. Beyond that we'll have to see. It would make a lot of sense for them to have the deck in their shop - but it isn't always sense here that prevails!

Major Tom

Karen,

I showed your Queen of Cups to Jane and she said, "The cat gets lost". She is a fan of your work and I'll probably be buying a copy for her. She really loves cats.

The museum director would take offense at a gift? :eek: Maybe you should ask about the gift shop before you offer the gift. ;) He's unlikely to take offense at the question is he?

baba-prague

Hi Tom,

Yes, that's an effect of showing them on screen I'm afraid. In print they look rather different - they gel visually much better in print (we draft print as we go along). It's the same thing with the border - it's a bit in-your-face on screen, but in print is much more subdued looking.
It's a bit like ToP - which also looks much better in print than on screen.
There isn't a whole lot we can do about this - to adjust every card to properly reflect how it will look in print is just too much work.

Good to get your feedback though - keep it coming please!

Oh and yes, the museum director is quite likely to take offence at a gift. We've had several shops here take offence at us even suggesting they stock ToP - they rear back in horror and say that they would never, ever stock tarot cards - this without so much as taking a glance at them. This is in some ways a very, very conservative country and you have to tread quite carefully.

The cat breeders here have told us that they are considered "odd" (it's a dog country - and there really wasn't any cat breeding - of pedigrees - until after 1989) - one of them said it's the reason they like us - we are odd too!

Astra

Oy! Is the pattern on the tablecloth appliqued or embroidered? At that size, it's hard to believe it's applique, but considering the things you've come up with... Glad you mentioned the dress texture was an overlay - once again, my eyes kept shifting on it.

And no, I don't think the fact that the eyes can't always tell is a negative - in fact, I suspect it's going to be a positive factor in terms of doing actual readings with the cards. Once the mind engages in wondering just what the reality is, it's much easier to let the subconscious up to the surface.

baba-prague

Yes, to get some real baroque patterns we had to overlay - no way to find 18th century fabric to cut up! But we overlaid onto plain silk usually, so it works well.

The tablecloth is actually patchwork and applique. It's part of the private collection of my friend (she is a dealer in antique fabrics - has been for years, but keeps a few of the most interesting). It has a matching rug - which we also hope to feature.
It's fabulous isn't it? Her house is teeny and 14th century and just crammed with amazing things. Like staying in a jewellery box!

Yes, I hope in readings that the cards will "sing". I like to switch off and just look at some points when I'm reading - let the pictures talk - so that's reflected in the way we do things I think.
Alex is even more like this. He doesn't often read but when he does he goes entirely on what the person and the card pictures suggest to him - utterly uninterested in the conventional meanings :)

skytwig

baba-prague said:
The cat breeders here have told us that they are considered "odd" (it's a dog country - and there really wasn't any cat breeding - of pedigrees - until after 1989) - one of them said it's the reason they like us - we are odd too!
Well, you can count on a HUGE market here in America..... cat breeding is BIG in America..... Even selling the deck to places like Petsmart could be a go for you......

The breeders here will love the regality of the deck!! :)

baba-prague

I really like the idea of tarot cards in Petsmart - no I really do. I think the more people are introduced to tarot well away from all the silly sensationalist stuff the better.

Here, very quickly, is The High Priestess - for all you black and white cat fans.
She is intentionally much less ornate. We wanted her to look plainer and less worldly of course. She should to some extent stand out from the others in a reading (though we have made The Hierophant somewhat like a mirror image - but only somewhat)

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/c_highpriestessforweb.jpg