"Defacing" Decks

Taamar

I have a friend who used a sharpie to draw clothing over any nudity in her decks.

Le Fanu

Taamar said:
I have a friend who used a sharpie to draw clothing over any nudity in her decks.

Oh how silly! I mean I can understand (well I can't actually) the odd bit of censorship, on the odd card. I can understand where Grizabella is coming from, but there comes a time when there aren't any children around and I want to deal with the truth. But I would have thought that tarot-readers, with a mind geared towards symbolism and metaphors, might make the equation of nudity equals freedom, lack of deceit, honesty, spiritual freedom, emancipation etc etc. I mean even in the 17th century you see nudity in the World card, and I bet they didn't get their quills out and delete nudity for being "dirty". I always expect more from tarot readers. I always think they should be able to deal with the human experience a bit more unflinchingly.

if I went to a tarot reader with a deck like the one you mention, I would just laugh in their face and not trust anything they said. God knows what else they'd be censoring... I mean, Im an adult and want to deal with truths. Im sorry, but I wouldn't trust someone like that to be a good tarot reader with such a controlling mindset.

If a tarot deck is so offensive, why not just use the Magical Forest or something...

Rant over...

rwcarter

Le Fanu said:
But I would have thought that tarot-readers, with a mind geared towards symbolism and metaphors, might make the equation of nudity equals freedom, lack of deceit, honesty, spiritual freedom, emancipation etc etc.
Just to play Devil's Advocate, while the reader may be so enlightened, the sitters they read for may not. So a reader may censor the decks they use to read for the public....

Le Fanu

rwcarter said:
Just to play Devil's Advocate, while the reader may be so enlightened, the sitters they read for may not. So a reader may censor the decks they use to read for the public....

mmmm... clever excuse. :)

But like I said, just use something fluffy. Or something neutered, like a fairy deck, Magical Forest, Animal Lords, Elves or whatever.

I find it amusing to be drawn to a deck with loads of nudity and then be compelled to have to scribble it out.... Sounds contradictory - and slightly suspicious - to say the least.

In terms of the earlier posts, I love the idea of cards with handwriting on them. I could happily do it with some of my playing cards. I think the Meneghello Svizzera has handwriting on it... I love it. Like a message coming down to us across the centuries... the problem now of course, is that cards are so glossy that it is quite difficult to write on them. Certainly with a fountain pen...

ETA; it's not the Svizerra, it's the Besançon! My mistake...

Freddie

I can relate. I'm not a prude, but I find that I'd like to find a way to cover 'The devil' midsection in the Fourniers Marseille Tarot (the whole cards coloured one), that is horrible looking. I don't know what kind of pen / marker to use on it. I don't want ink stains on other cards.

freddie

cardlady22

I had a bit of a tussle with this last year and I'm very glad that in the end I chose to do nothing. But, I did take a Sharpie to a couple of the extra cards to see if it would smear. I can't remember the decks, but it wiped right off! Then my mind started thinking evil thoughts regarding certain scan sites. My conscience has a very tight grip. :bugeyed: Ouch! I'm not, okay?!!!

sapienza

For years I had a love/hate relationship with my Robin Wood deck. I didn't like the fact that most of the people were blonde (no offense to blondes, but it felt really Ken & Barbie to me). Anyway, there was a lot (at the time) I did really like about the deck. So....I coloured in a lot of the hair brown. Believe it or not the deck felt better. Once I'd started I figured I had nothing to lose... I made a few changes here and there and then I coloured all the borders in black. It kind of had the effect of trimming without actually cutting of the borders. At the time I was terrified of trimming, but I'm definitely over it now. Doing the borders black made the colours really pop out and the deck ended up looking much better than before I started.....in my opinion of course. I never use the deck now and don't even really like it, but it still holds a place in my top ten just because so much effort went into 'defacing' it. I'll upload some scans if I get a chance this weekend, if anyone is even vaguely interested :)

MysticalMoose

Im interested Sapienza I'd love to see it :) I had the same thoughts about the Barbie & Ken deck even tho in some ways I quite like it. Also, being a white border hater I trimmed mine & now I don't like it cus it's too darn small! :mad: I'd like to see your black borders :)

souljourney

I need to give shorts to 10 of Wands in my World Spirit too! I'm just always afraid I'll mess up...

Jewel

Sapienza, I would also be interested in seeing some scans of your Robin Wood. I also associated it with Ken & Barbie, but it did not really bother me. The Robin Wood was the first deck I could really read with, and well I still have a crush on the Magician *LOL*. I retired my Robin Wood about 8 years ago, but like for you it remains one of my top favorites for sentimental reasons.

Souljourney ... perhaps you can find a sticker of shorts to put on him ... just a thought. I actually got rid of that deck specifically because of that card. I just could not get passed it and it was forever popping up when I tried to use the deck.