Dream Symbol Spread

Ocean Bliss

So I know I've already posted a dream interpretation spread on the forum (a long while back) but I came up with this one that I find useful for interpreting individual dream symbols the keep reappearing. (In contrast to the other one which focuses on a dream as a whole).

The layout looks like this.

******1******
***7*****9***
*4****6****5*
***2*****3***
******8******

1. The Bare-Bones Meaning: This is the very basic meaning of the symbol to help you approach it from the best angle.

2. The Context: This is the context that the symbol needs to be considered in. It can be within the context of various dreams that it appears in or in the context of one's waking life.

3. The Aesthetics: This is the experience of the symbol in the dream through the senses. It points to how its appearance, feel, colour, aesthetic style, sound etc contributes to its meaning, allowing you to analyze it in more detail.

4. The Emotional Drive: What within you created this symbol? It looks at what emotions, desires and fears this symbol draws upon to create meaning.

5. The Message it Presents: If you were to see this symbol used in advertising, in your favourite TV show or in a film- how would it be used and why? Sometimes thinking about how symbols are used in our own culture can help to decipher how they might be used in your own dreams.

6. The Literary and Mythic Archetypes it Draws Upon: A lot from our culture is drawn from the past. As such it can help to link a dream symbol to an archetype or idea that is presented to us in literature or mythology in order to get a broader sense of where we might get this idea.

7. Esoteric Connections: Alright, you might need a bit of knowledge of esoteric symbolism for this one. The card drawn here can help you point to symbolism used in the occult that might match the symbolism used in the dream. This can be from the Tarot, Astrology, the Kabbala, Runes, the Ogham or whichever system or systems you know best.

8. Religious and Spiritual Connections: Now we come to religious and spiritual ideas. Sometimes it can help to know more than one religion. After all religion does still have an impact on the way we see things- even if we ourselves are not religious. You can look at symbolism from Christianity, Paganism, Islam, Buddhism or any religion that you know well enough.

9. Cosmic Archetypes: This looks at cosmic archetypes that go beyond religious labels and how the recurring symbol fits into all of this.

Hopefully this was not too confusing. I'll post an example as soon as possible.

UPDATE: Here it is
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=3608161#post3608161