A shoutout for makeplayingcards

shadowdancer

I have recently used them twice for personal projects, and have nothing but praise.

They create cards in various sizes (bridge/poker/tarot/large) and in various finishes.

For those who are looking at print options for tarot, take a look at their website.

As with most sites, the cost differs according to quantity: (prices are for the tarot decks)
1-5 $16.00 each
6-29 $14.00 each
30-49 $11.10 each
50-99 $10.85 each
100-249 $8.50 each
250-499 $8.00 each

I do not have experience of using them to print a tarot deck but can comment on quality of design your own bridge card sized card, as I have used them to print one off self cobbled Lenormands to help me learn the system.

I opted for one in linen, and one in plastic. The plastic intrigued me and being waterproof would be great to use around tea or coffee drinkers. I washed the coupon under the tap and then dried it. Heck it was totally waterproof. And it does not feel like plastic. It feels only marginally different to the linen finish. Far less shiney and slippery than some of my heavily laminated tarot decks. The linen is very slightly textured but feels soft in the hand. I really cannot fault it.

Anyways wanted to share, as I know a few here often scratch their head as to who to consider for printing.

Another bonus? Postage was cheap. I had a total of 180 cards sent + 6 plastic cases. Shipping took 5 days from completion of printing and cost $14 US.

Not sure how they compare to the Games Crafter but if I were able to actually create my own deck (which some of you know has a sad back story) I would use these guys no question.

Davina

tarotbear

Just for comparison purposes:

For an 80-card tarot-sized deck -

Printer's Studio - $14.99 - shrink-wrapped only (still waiting for my proofs; will update quality when they arrive).

The Game Crafter - selling cost is determined by designer. My boxed, 80-card Tarot deck wholesales to me for $18.80 {selling price $24.99}. Card quality seems good, lamination not too thick or slippery. Box quality is standard.

:party: :party: **** ETA **** :party: :party:

My proof from Printers Studio has arrived!

The card stock from Printers Studio and TGC seems about the same thickness and stiffness for a new deck. The TGC lamination seems more matte; the PS finish is very silky-slippery. I put the deck down on a slightly tilted surface and the top card slid off slightly.

Both companies produced the exact same card 2.75" x 4.75"; the only noticeable difference is that the corners on the TGC version are more squared and the PS have a larger curve radius. (see attached picture PS on left; TGC on right)

Noticeably, also - if it makes a difference to you - the PS deck came in with the order the cards were added (Title card, Majors in order, Minors together by suit in order, Bio card); The deck in the box from TGC comes however the order is cut from the 8 sheets of card. (In other words, TGC does not put them in any order).

Printers Studio has a 'Become a Reseller' which says 'simple reward structure with up to 25% off discount' - nothing about royalty paid to you (it may on their website). They will drop ship your shrink-wrapped deck worldwide. The Game Crafter is there to market your game/deck with 30% TGC/ 70% you of the different between the cost to produce and your selling price. Without the $2.74 cost of the TGC box, the decks are pennies different in price. TGC does not shrink-wrap decks. (I asked)

Noticeable, also, even with the disruption of the July 4th Holiday, I ordered these proofs on the same day (6/28) . I received the TGC deck in 5 days and the PS decks in 12 days.

Just my two cents ...

Attachments

• PS - TGC.jpg
    PS - TGC.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 510

shadowdancer

thanks for these TB. I am glad you found a way to get your deck printed/published. And it is nice to see a comparison and hear the pro's and cons of two publishers creating the same deck. Gives a perspective for sure.

The makeplayingcards guys also create custom boxes with an image of your choice. BUT, it only will apply for a minimum order of 100 decks, and is a dollar for each.

In the meantime, can you keep us updated as to how they feel after a period of time of being used? And enjoy the deck. :D :D (Loved that image on the card you posted)

HudsonGray

The one on the left looks better centered. Was that deck well centered on each card?

tarotbear

From where I sit I feel both cards have a slightly wider right margin than left.

However, in my own defense, none of these images were the exact same size which made no problems in book publishing but did lead to a few 'adjustments' as cards since the images had to fit 'exactly' within certain perimeters or that part of the image would be not printed in the finished product. Some of this shift may be that the scanned jpg image has a slight white border to the right side, so it is the scanned image with that border that was converted to png, and not the process of centering the images at all. Something to think about if you are not a pc artist like me. Also - my images were slightly shorter than the images might be - so between cards I have uneven top and bottom borders; part of the charm of a hand-drawn deck, I suppose!

If I was to go back and re-scan all the images and then precisely crop the image to the black border it may have improved the final card. These are the things I learned in the process.

Moonboy

Hi Davina

Does the Printer Studio logo appear anywhere on your cards?

tarotbear

Hi!

There is no obvious Printer's Studio logo on my cards...since they do not sell retail perhaps? (Although remember when you had portrait pictures done and the name of the photographer/studio appeared on the picture ... just in case?)

There is a Game Crafter logo inside their tuck box, but not on the cards they print for you.

Perhaps if both these items had a barcode for resale they might slip their logo in there. Even my self-published books do not have a Createspace logo on them, although the last page has a barcode and says 'Made in USA, Charleston, SC' but no publisher name or logo appears.

I wonder if a logo has more to do with a copyright? Just thinking out loud. TGC and Printers Studio do not copyright the designs since they belong to the designer (which is also why I added a copyright to the box and to the title card of the deck).

Moonboy

Thanks, Tarotbear! :)

shadowdancer

no, there was no logo on the makeplayingcards.com printed cards either.

I cannot comment regarding any tuckbox, as I ordered the bridge sized cases - clear perspex/plastic.

I think if you wanted your logo on the cards, you could do that. Either side in whatever font you choose. You would just need to add it as part of the process.

Davina

BTW - still gushing over the plastic cards I had printed. I now realise that the ultra laminated / plastic coated tarot decks I have feel awful in comparison. I swear I all but do an impression of Gollum when he caressed the ring in LOTR. My partner is waiting to hear me whisper my precious, and then I know he will leap into action and take them off me.

bluedogrose

Thank you Davina for sharing the info and comparison, I'll have to check them out.

Just an update that Game Crafter does shrink wrap everything now- my last batch of TaRats came shrink wrapped but not sure yet if the full sized decks will be or not. I didn't request the shrink wrapping, they just arrived that way.