How important is a title card?

blackroseivy

I'm just exploring Make Playing Cards' card creator and they only allow 78 cards, which means no title card. How important is it anyway?

Disa

Not important to me. I have them all stored in a box- the title cards from most decks all put in one place together and use them as bookmarks if I need one. They get in the way of the actual deck, in m opinion. I hate it when I forgot to pull out a title card and find it shuffled into the middle of a deck later on.

tarotbear

Interesting - since most card(board) sheets are not divisible by 78 ... which is why decks have Title cards and Bio cards {or extra Jokers} - to use up the one or two blank cards left over - you pay for them, anyway!

Is a Title card really important? No, IMHO, no - it just is kept there to protect the first card in the pack from damages...

blackroseivy

That's about what I figured, and I agree, they are a pain in the patoot so I don't mind not having one!

tarotbear

Also - the Title card is usually what you sign when selling 'signed decks!' In that way - the buyer still has your signature and they don't have to worry about it getting lost or damaged during use ... ;)

blackroseivy

I don't know what I'll do about that then, I was going to number the decks and I guess it would be a bad idea to use the boxes! :p

Madame

I too am looking at MPC dot com to have my deck printed once I'm done designing. I haven't even thought about the title card. Thanks for bringing that up!

I guess it's not too important?
For example, I just got a Rider-Waite deck from Amazon.com (US Games Systems Inc) and there wasn't a title card included... though there were two extra info cards. One was a Pamela Colman Smith bio card and the other was I guess a sort of advertisement/plug card listing some other tarot decks US Games sells.
So...Totaling 80 cards.

I mean, I know this is a very old deck and what's the need for a title card (who will sign it, right?) But maybe the deck creator can sign the outside of the box? Like if you design the box in such a way that there is a free/blank area in case anyone ever asked you for an autograph.

***I just checked and MPC also has an Up To 80 cards option! (and up to 90, 100, etc .) Why not go with the 80 cards option? That way you have two extra cards. One can be a title card and the other can maybe be a sort of business card of sorts? Or even just a bio with your photo.
It seems there's no price change between 78 and 80 cards.

JOdel

Actually, MPC offers up to 80 card to a Tarot deck. But you have to enter the number of the cards in the very *first* screen of the setup process. Once you move off that screen you can't go back and add one later, and the setup priocess always starts with the 78 card default.

My own copies of my deck have a title card (shown on my website but not included in the files for download -- why make things more difficult for people?).

blackroseivy

Thank you for the info! I will try to figure this out, I'm not great at technical stuff online... :p

OH there is a drop-down menu, how simple is that, go figure! I never even thought to look at the little arrow, haha!

tarotbear

It seems there's no price change between 78 and 80 cards.

No, because you are paying for the sheet (of 10 or 20 per sheet)- so you've already paid for them. It may say 'Only so many cents per card' but they are going to cut out 80 cards - even for your 78-card deck.

I have always thought that the 'Title card' was to show through if the box had a window ...