Fantastical Tarot by Nathalie Hertz

TheLovers2

Fantastic Fantastical Tarot

The dictionary definition for fantastic: implies a lack of restraint in imagination, suggesting that which is extravagantly fanciful or unreal in design, conceptIon or construction.

Also: having a strange or wierd appearance, unusual, grotesque, odd, quaint, capricious, eccentric, seemingly impossible, incredible.

fantastical [Archaic] A person who is fantastic in behavior and dress, etc.

Well, what can I say, but, that this deck lives up to it's name.

I saw some scans of the deck online way back when and thought to myself, "No Way! It's too dark and I'm not into dark decks." It's been quite some time since I first encountered them, but, perusing Tarot.com the other day and checking for Winged Spirit scans, I took a look again. I have been in the mood for lots of color and this deck delivers. Also, I admire the artist's talent - I think she's very good and echoing another member here, I, too, would like to see her do more. (I personally, would not be interested in the Vampire Tarot by same artist, but would like to see more of her work (lightened up a bit, if that's possible for her to do).

Anyway, I decided to take a "closer' look and I went to a store and actually held the cards and looked at them, individually, as well as, taking a look at the LWB. I found myself relating more to the cards on a personal level with the help of the artist's interps for the cards. Granted, some of her interpretations seem to contradict the images of certain cards, but, for the most part they helped me in discovering some special nuances pertaining to these cards. I would read (especially for the Majors) and then look deeply at the particular card to see if I could relate to what she said. I saw plenty! So, I like the LWB and find it more than a little helpful.

As for me not caring for dark decks - well, to an extent there is a dark element to them; but, when not focused on, "Gee, these are really dark cards," (initial response) then I went other places with the deck and I began to relate to the cards on a much more personal level. I am not a "dark" person, so the light that is in me touched the cards and they met me there. We had a kind of "meeting of the mind" so to speak. They pulled and tugged, might as well have been saying, "You know that we are drawn to each other." It was unmistakable, and I really tried to fight that, saying, "but this isn't my type of deck." But, in some personal ways it is. Of the three decks and book, I saw that day, it was my choice. I was rather surprised, and when I got in my car, thinking, "Ok. That was interesting," I knew I'd made the right choice.

This is what I keep finding out about the beauty and mystery of Tarot - it is incredibly personal. We do not have to see the various decks in the same way as another person. We may choose a deck for some of the same reasons or for reasons that we, alone, understand. Freedom!

I look forward to joining, adding my input and receiving from the Study Group for this deck. :)

I would like to mention that I agree with some others, re: the Hanged Man in this deck. I DO NOT LIKE IT AT ALL! It is the only card that I am having trouble with. This deck (like some others) required that I open my mind, discount prejudices, etc., in order to find a special connection, but, that card, . . . I just don't know. I've even thought about not using it at all while using the deck. I will TRY to transcend certain aspects of this card and see if there is anything that I can glean from it, perhaps, just symbolically. I just don't know about that one, though. Occasionally, this happens with a deck and when it does, it's soooo bothersome. I just want to hunker down and enjoy my deck, but, there's this one card . . . you know? :)

I read that someone bought this as their first deck. Wow! I can't imagine that, but, hey, a connect is a connect. ;)

Enjoy!

TL2 :TLOVE

lunakasha

TheLovers2 said:
I would like to mention that I agree with some others, re: the Hanged Man in this deck. I DO NOT LIKE IT AT ALL! It is the only card that I am having trouble with.

I just received this deck in a trade (thank you HearthCricket!) after seeing scans of it online, and it was one of those decks I could never quite decide on. (And, for the record, I am a fan of "dark" decks, for the most part). But now that I have seen it, I am so pleased to have it! Well....except for that ONE card....it is really disturbing for me too, and does not seem to convey the meaning of the Hanged Man as I understand it.

But it really is an amazing deck, beautiful in its own way....and I guess I will just have to get used to that one icky card and hope it doesn't show up too often, LOL....

:) Luna