how do i start??

Pao

ahh they dont have :( it says only online courses :( ufffff

dadsnook2000

The only way . . .

Buy a book on basic astrology that shows you how to construct a chart, buy as many magazines to see how charts are interpreted, and then go on-line and find software that you can download free. I wouldn't bother using on-line services as it is too easy to make mistakes with unfamiliar software. Get your own and work with it. One of several sites that offers free software is
*** http://www.halloran.com/

Once you can cast charts, read as many charts as you can get.
*** http://www.astrodatabank.com/ has lots of charts to use for study
*** http://www.khaldea.com/chartgallery.shtml is another source of charts

Just start doing astrology. Dave

Sophie

I've been working with an excellent book called Astrology for Yourself. You basically work through your own chart, from start to finish, in ever greater detail. Once you've mastered that, you just go on to practicing on other charts - as Dadsnook says, as many as you can. But I found it useful to start somewhere familiar: myself ;)

Pao

but is that chart going to help me with all the planets and things? i feel like i have to start by learning every planet what effect they have etc. its really overwhelming. what is a chart going to help me do?

I tried doing an exercise with timing and it said something about the moon second quarter or something, ahhh i dont know what i am doing honestly :joke:

dadsnook2000

Forget . . .

Forget about procrastinating. Among all the reasons to keep talking and not doing is the one reasons to just start doing astrology == if you don't start then you never will. Just do it. Everything will come in time. Astrology, like life, isn't a spectatator sport -- just start doing astrology. Dave

EarthFaery

I was just thinking, if you can relate planet meanings to certain tarot cards it might be a lot easier to remember

FaireMaiden

Pao... a chart by itself is not going to help you... you might as well be trying to decipher the Rosetta Stone, *lol*

Following are two very good books on the basics... better than the actual 'Astrology for Dummies' book... These books are funny, witty, very knowledgeable, and concise!... nothing to get bogged down about... Both by Kim Rogers-Gallagher:

'Astrology for the Light Side of the Brain', (about basics), and

'Astrology for the Light Side of the Future', (about predicting)

Another book I highly recommend is by Debbie Kempton-Smith:

'Secrets from a Stargazer's Notebook'... Another fun, witty, knowledgeable book that I highly recommend...

Go ahead and have your chart handy... in fact a couple of copies is good so that you can write all over them as you go thru the books to mark what's what in your own chart in plain language...

If I could offer one bit of advice, it is this: for now, forget what 'Signs' the planets are in... pay much more attention to what 'Houses' your Planets are in and read up on the Natural Ruling Planet of the house... for example:

Let's say you have Venus in Libra in the 12th House... The Natural Ruler of the 12th House is Neptune which is ruled by Pisces... So, pay more particular attention to 'Venus in Pisces' and 'Venus in the 12th House', than 'Venus in Libra'... I have found that the 'Houses' and their 'Natural Rulers' are far more instructive than the 'Signs' the Planets are in... and I have found this to be true in every chart I have ever erected...

Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the 'Signs' account for the superficial expression of a Planet's energy and accounts for, maybe, 30-40 % of interpretation... Whereas the 'Houses' the Planets fall in account for a much richer and deeper understanding of our astrological makeup, and range in the 75-100 % interpretive category...

Make no mistake, Astrology is not easy... it is a disciplined study... What keeps one going is how fascinating it all is, *vbs*... So, be patient with yourself because it WILL take time to master it... And when you feel like your brain has become freeze-dried from it all, *lol*, put it all away and go prune the roses in your garden for a few days, *lol*

marigold's

Hi Pao,

This might sound silly, but find a children's book of myths. I've found that it's easier, for me at least, to remember the aspects of the planets (and fixed stars) by meeting them as "people", with human traits and personality quirks. It's just easier to remember them in the context of a story, a play with many players where each actor is a planet and each situation likened to a house and its traits. That way there's less memorizing to do since everybody can remember the main points of a story, then each time you re-read the story you remember all the little details, little by little : )

I'd second FaireMaiden's suggestion of the Stargazer's Handbook! It's fun, irreverant, practical and easy to learn from as well as remember. It should be in every library along with Parker's Astrology--a big, beautiful picture book that's as rich in detail as it is warm and approachable...*and* it touches on all levels and dimensions of the art, from constructing your first chart all the way up to horary, synestry, locational astrology and more! Plus, it comes with a full ephemeris in the back (if I'm not mistaken, the most recent Parker's, the 2nd ed., goes all the way up through 2012) so for the ephemeris alone it's a worthy resource. Even once you've moved on into the more boring books, touching back with these 2 will re-ignight the interest, joy and passion that started you on this trail. Both are really good books! I think Stargazer sells for just over $20 and Parker's about $25 (although I've seen the first edition second hand for about 10 or 12...although I haven't seen Stargazer's Notebook second hand...)

Little Hare

Pao said:
ahh they dont have :( it says only online courses :( ufffff

Then contact your federation of astrologers and ask them to recommend someone who teaches face to face courses, honestly alot of books are like goobdley gook.