Predicting

Starling

Astrology is another old interest that I put aside for many years and seem to be picking up again. I want to work on predictions. What I really want to learn is how to synthisize. How to put things together so they make sense and a coherient story.

I'm re-learning natal astrology from sources online, and right now that is more than enough, but I'm not finding what I really want for the various kinds of prediction.

I gave all my old books away, so I'm starting fresh. I'd like a suggestion for one or two basic books on prediction. And while I'm asking for suggestions, I'd like someone's take on which prediction method would be the best one to start with. I have an excellent calculation program already, so I probably can already do any kind of calculation necessary.

EarthFaery

I use transits to natal for personal predictions. I think it's Robert Hand who has a book called planets in transit? someone can correct me if I'm wrong, also Parkers Astrology has some good interpretations for both natal and transits to help you get started. Another form of prediction is Horary Astrology which works in the same way but modern planets are excluded, this form of prediction allows you to ask a specific question just as you would a tarot reading but there are a lot of rules to consider to determine whether the chart can be read and it can be a pain IMO:)

Have fun with it!

dadsnook2000

Another site

I run a yahoo site called Solunars which focuses upon Solar and Lunar Returns as a predictive method. It serves two constituencies: advanced students and professionals, and early-studies students. I've just started a Sharing & Learning series for new-to-Solar-Return students which can be found in the Files section of the site. A new folder and project will be posted every 4 to 5 weeks for study. Plus you can follow the discussions of the main site and those who are more skilled in working in these areas.

Prediction based on transits to the natal chart is quite basic and often relates to a general period of time (time spans of months if the outer planets are involved, weeks for other other planets, and days for the inner planets). What is frustrating is that sometimes they work, most times they don't. There are many other tools to use. Dave

Minderwiz

Two books you might look for are:

Pryedictive Astrology by Bernadette Brady - a really top notch astrologer

Predictive Astrology by Carol Rushman.

The Brady book is the better of the two but perhaps a little more demanding.

I also prefer to use Horary methods where possible but don't be put off by the considerations before judgment, they are just that. All charts are readable but some are a little more reliable than others.

dadsnook2000

Just how do you "predict?"

The chart we choose to use determines "how effective" and "what we can see".

** TRANSITS to the natal chart: Outer planets may "play" with a natal planet for several months or even a year or two. Middle planets may "contact" a natal planet over a period of several days to a few weeks. Inner planets may hit upon a natal planet for just a day or two or three, while the Moon may transit a planet (using a tight orb) for only a few hours. Predicting "when" can be very tricky! Predicting "what" can also be tricky.

Planetary symbols tend to express themselves in as many ways as possible. The nature of a planet, and its links to other planets, in a natal chart will almost always affect the influence of a transiting planet.

** SECONDARY PROGRESSIONS are merely refinements of the natal chart. They show increasing and/or decreasing influences of aspectual contacts between planets of the natal chart. Often, only the Sun and Moon will move enough over a life time to mark significant shifts in how the natal chart might "develop" its potential. Predicting with this chart type shows developments and trends, seldom events.

** SOLAR ARC PROGRESSIONS move every planet by the amount of the Sun's movement from one day to the next -- equalling a year's development. Since the Sun is being focused upon, one's health, vitality, will and conscious choices are the focus of this chart. Within that context, these charts can be fairly precise in pointing to "when" an event can happen, and the recombined contacts between progressed and natal planets point to new experiences for one to live through and grow through.

** SOLAR RETURNS provide a "re-focus" theme for the coming year. First, they often place the natal planets in a different house context. Second, the transiting planets on the date of the solar return display their importance by their nearness or distance from the chart angles. Angular planets are very strong in their influence -- natal or solar return planets. This type of chart points to what you can expect during the coming year.

**** "TROPICAL" Solar Returns portray cultural and social influences that mark ones development and experiences during the year.
**** "SIDEREAL" Solar Returns portray events in terms of energy, anger, fears, and human reactions. The difference in what these charts portray is due to the "timing" of the charts. Tropical charts are linked to the Sun marking it's "sign". Sidereal charts don't use signs and are "angular" and aspectual in nature, thus emphasizing event experiences.

As we use these charts, in the order mentioned, we move from a broad "life" view to a more focused "month or period" view. For predictive purposes we need to move to a "daily" view. There are specialized charts for doing this, but it may not make much sense to go into these here and now. But, to do predictive work, you do need to be able to move from the general view to the highly specific view of life. Dave