How much would you pay...

JuniperPress

How much would you pay for a hand done lenormand deck? Hand done as in, painted and stamped each card by hand - not mass produced at all? I'm asking because I'm currently mulling around the idea of doing/offering some but factoring the cost/time for me to make these isn't going to be cheap:/ The artwork etc, would all be hand done by me (not altered art) and would incorporate crystals in the actual deck. So I'm just curious if anyone would be interested in this or not? Along the same lines, I could offer a cheaper small run printed version and possibly (ideally) would offer both but I personally really like the idea of the ultra personal brush-to-paper hand done idea but I'm wondering how many others might go for that idea as well. Thanks so much for any input!

StaceySue2U

Do the Lenormand decks have 78 cards? If each card took you one hour to paint.....you just can't put a dollar figure on that kind of effort.

DownUnderNZer

Depends...

If your art work is like Picasso, Monet, Giger...strong possibilities.

Even Ciro.

There is this other amazing artist I like in the USA that does beautiful paintings connected to bike themes and stunning models. Just can't remember the artist...

I think certain things would factor into the equation for me.

Like with "crystals" how smooth would they be on the surface as well as easy and durable when shuffling them?

Amsonia

I'm just going to throw out a random number, since you asked for that, and this number really only applies to myself....

I think if I saw a hand drawn Lenormand deck by my favorite artists (both of which have already illustrated commercial tarot decks) I could muster up about $300

If it was from an artist I didn't know, but I really like there work, I'd probably go up to about $2oo

I'm not sure I like the idea of crystals though, seems like they would be bumpy to shuffle.

This would, of course, blow my Tarot budget for a year or two, so I'd REALLY want to love it.

I think that if you want to make these, you totally should, I'm not someone with lots of extra cash, and I'm sure some could pay more than this...but I wouldn't expect them to really make you much money, but be a labor of love...so if you love to do it, definitely do it!

I have several creative things I do for the love of doing them, crochet and music especially.

JuniperPress

Thanks so much for the replies so far:)

DownUnder - I"m not sure my art is like those master artists :p Since it's a lenormand deck the artwork would be on the simpler side for ease of doing GT's,etc.

Stacey - they don't have 78 cards like tarot but they would have extra cards such as an extra man and woman as well as a genderless one and intimacy card

Amsonia - thanks for throwing a number out:) 200 is around exactly what I was thinking but I know that is an expensive deck. Supplies for doing the deck would run around 1-1.5k and that's not including my time. Even if I had a dozen people interested I could probably lessen the retail cost a bit which would be nice.

With the whole crystal thing - it's interesting because I"m a big crystal person. I had figured people would really love the idea of the actual crystal 'infused' cards but apparently not? In regards to how they'd feel, they wouldn't be bumpy at all, it just adds a lovely crystal shimmer. They'd be done on 140lb watercolor paper so they would be thicker than regular printed cards though. The cheaper, printed version I was talking about would be scans of the original so it wouldn't have the actual paint at all and wouldn't have anything. Hmm. Maybe people would like that version better. I still like the idea of hand done cards so maybe when funds permit I will do it anyway just for me and maybe any other people who might be interested.

I'd still love to hear more feedback!

JuniperPress

Ok so, I've started to make some OOAK hand done lenormand decks. And oh boy, do they take a lot of time. The actual artwork is not that intricate - they are more like doodle style but it's the entirety of them that takes so long. Preparing the backgrounds seem to take most of the time because they typically have 5 or 6 layers and that's before I even start to draw anything! For now though, I'm enjoying the process but I'm not sure how many of these little lovelies I will eventually pump out. I've considered adding a type of bag and spreadcloth for the decks but that's a bit more work too. Not sure exactly where I'm going with all of this or what the eventual outcome will be. I know it's possible to be heartbroken at the end when and if nobody wants to buy them (ack!) but I'm also working on some other decks that aren't so labour intensive so I think it breaks up some monotony. I can't wait for more of my supplies to arrive so I can actually finish a deck!

DownUnderNZer

You should post some samples or examples. :)

Ok so, I've started to make some OOAK hand done lenormand decks. And oh boy, do they take a lot of time. The actual artwork is not that intricate - they are more like doodle style but it's the entirety of them that takes so long. Preparing the backgrounds seem to take most of the time because they typically have 5 or 6 layers and that's before I even start to draw anything! For now though, I'm enjoying the process but I'm not sure how many of these little lovelies I will eventually pump out. I've considered adding a type of bag and spreadcloth for the decks but that's a bit more work too. Not sure exactly where I'm going with all of this or what the eventual outcome will be. I know it's possible to be heartbroken at the end when and if nobody wants to buy them (ack!) but I'm also working on some other decks that aren't so labour intensive so I think it breaks up some monotony. I can't wait for more of my supplies to arrive so I can actually finish a deck!