Old Astrology=Tarot cards

Cerulean

Thank you for further suggestions...

...because this is a growing area of interest for me.
Once in awhile the Qabbalistic Tarot text by Wang has surfaced at another used bookstore. I've seen his name listed mentioned several times for reference...The title was not on my wishlist because I wince sometimes when I look at his tarot...still keep it for puzzled historical reference. Sometimes I think about his Jungian Tarot, but its not my first wishlist choice.
I actually had already picked up the Regardie book after your post. That's a bit of a historical tome...
Anthony Louis does have a website as well. And Paul's SuperTarot site has my admiration, because I've checked out his postings several times. He is very well versed in Crowley details, I believe.

Rusty Neon

Mari ... I wouldn't be put off by Wang's two decks when it comes deciding whether or not to obtain the _Qabalistic Tarot_ book. One mustn't confuse Wang the tarot artist and Wang the author (even though he's the same individual). It's a good book. I really enjoy his astrological takes on the small cards of the minor arcana. And he goes into the GD system of tarot and astro-tarot. A good user's guide to help understand the GD's tarot papers. Check the book out next time you see it at the store, to see if it interests you.

Cerulean

Thank you again for all the associative links. Especially the Golden Dawn references--they had a fascination for art and history that reflects my curiousity as well.
At some point, if one gently eases into these areas of all the associations in that last website article, the various cultural souces still amaze me. I believe I only have a passing acquaintance with a few of the cultures that the GD concepts sprang from.
I hope you don't mind me taking time to sort through what works for me. I find the GD fascinating for what they mind-melded together. I gleaned some threads, which I'd been following separately in my own interests...
...Historical Egyptology assignments of gods and goddesses (as some mythology people suggest, the attributes of certain gods or goddesses varied with the time periods and region of the Egyptian empire-so the beauty and wonder of the GD system reflects their knowledge and beliefs of Egypt at that point).
...Chalcadean/Babylonian astrology of zodiac and decanate assignments that flowed into the some of the art of the Late Middle Ages and Renaissance (as the concepts of time/calendars evolved).
...and maybe, much later, Tree of Life or Christian Cabalah concepts that might have arisen out of the influxes of Hebrew scholars into certain areas of Europe...there may be associations in Northern Italy in certain pivotal times--I'm still figuring out how Francis Yates/Michael Dummat discuss this topic .
Thanks again for the resources.
Mari H.

(...and of course, the visible art that flowed from the fingers of Lady Frieda Harris and Pamela Colman Smith had even more influences. I see art deco for Lady Harris and beautiful PreRaphaelite/Victorian watercolor and Japanese print touches in Pamela Colman Smith's work.)

stardancer

I've made up my own with different logic here and there.

Fool Aries (Aries because both influences are infants)
Magician Mercury (Skills in communications and dexterity)
High Priestess Virgo (Spirituality - Vestal virgins - New Age religion)
Empress Venus (Pure woman)
Emperor Mars (Pure man)
High Priest Capricorn (Spirituality - Patriarchal ideas - Old Age religion)
Lovers Gemini (Split choices and directions)
Chariot Sagittarius (The ability to conquor)
Strength Leo (The ability to command)
Hermit Cancer (The inner sense of being)
Wheel Jupiter (Chance)
Justice Libra (Equilibrium and action=reaction)
Hanged Man Neptune (Nothing is apparent or deliberate)
Death Pluto (God of the underworld)
Temperance Taurus (Taurus is deliberate ergo temperate)
Devil Scorpio (The temptation of feelings out of control)
Tower Uranus (all hell breaking loose)
Star Aquarius (Humanitarianism and hope)
Moon Moon (Emotions and dark)
Sun Sun (Spirit and light)
Judgement Saturn (The maturity to be able to choose)
World Pisces (Pisces because both are cosmic maturity)

Anyone is welcome to add their own ideas to mine, or differ, since it's good mental exercise and a good teaching/learning tool.

Btw, due to my Libra nature I have taken to calling The Hierophant, the High Priest, because he's the counterpart of The High Priestess.