Confessions of a skeptic

Diana

A French astrologer in 2001 (I think) received a doctorate at the Sorbonne University in Paris for an Astrology thesis. Most of the scientific world was most alarmed and distressed - lol - . But of course, many French politicians have their astrologers and Tarot readers and what-not, so perhaps it's not too surprising in a country like that.

But it was a start to getting Astrology re-recognised as something more scientific (it used to be recognised as such a few hundred years ago).

Astraea

That astrologer is Dr. Patrice Guinard, and his excellent on-line journal can be found here: http://cura.free.fr/

Diana

Oh that's another one then. The one I was thinking of was Elizabeth Tessier. It created a big rumpus when it happened. (She was François Mitterand's astrologer before his death).

Astraea

Thanks, Diana! Dr. Guinard must have followed in Dr. Tessier's footsteps at the Sorbonne. His doctoral thesis is published on his site, along with a host of erudite and thoughtful articles, in several languages.

Lee

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted (and those who might post in the future, of course). You've certainly given me a lot to think about. The astro-noetics link that Astraea provided has a lot of interesting stuff in it. I also found some interesting stuff in Kevin Burk's website, www.astro-horoscopes.com, in his "Ask Kevin" archives. He views the natal chart, or any kind of chart, more as a spiritual blueprint rather than a hard-and-fast "this will happen to you" sort of thing. It seems to me, now that I think about it, that even if there is no physical cause-and-effect going on, if one decides to accept astrology, one is in effect making a decision to live one's life in such a way that one is connected to the rhythms of the universe, so that it's almost a spiritual belief. I'm not really being very articulate here...

I still feel moved to study astrology, so I'm going to just do it and see where it takes me. I've ordered two beginning books from Amazon (used, so they were cheap! :)): "The Only Way to Learn Astrology" Vols. 1, 2 and 3 by March/McEvers, and "New Way to Learn Astrology" by Fearrington. After I've taken a look at them, maybe I'll post a new thread asking if anyone is familiar/has opinions about them.

-- Lee :)

Minderwiz

Good choices Lee, I've got one of their books and its well written. Kevin Burk's own book is very good too - I've corresponded with Kevin and find him extremely hepful. We also share the same birth day (October 24) though not the same year.

dadsnook2000

This is also to lunalafey

Lunalafey -- a quick note. I too read Joseph Goodsavage's book as my first text on astrology. A co-worker noted my reading of the book during lunch break and asked me to do his horoscope. From that little paperback, and by scaling the simple planet position lists given to find approximate/exact placements, I wrote out my observations. I was correct, having described three periods of illness that impacted his diet and outlook. I even described what he couldn't eat. I only held back one thing. Several months later he died from MS -- within a day of the time I had plotted out.
NOW, I had only read the book to prove to my wife that astrology was useless. After that, I did not do charts for anyone for a year but did I study every book I could buy.
IS ASTROLOGY VALID? To answer the question that started this tread -- it something you have to prove to yourself. Do I know it works -- emphatically. Do you know? That is YOUR question and its only for you to answer. I do know these things:
1) You can do astrology using standard meanings for each planet, sign, house and aspect but it only generally fits.
2) You can be an expression of astrology and it will speak through you and be as accurate and specific as your confidence, skills and understanding of it will support. It can intuitively just flow through you.
3) Your articulation of an astrological chart reflects only your level of knowledge, your ability to love and relate, your experience in living life. Your words will be both similar and different from those of every other astrologer. When any of reads what another astrologer writes we recognize both the common and the differing views -- and accept them, generally. They are just another view that we can understand but may not be able to express in that manner.
4) The people and situations that come to you will mirror your level of capability and views of life. When someone comes to you who makes you uncomfortable or who asks to much, throw your arms open and rise to the challenge. Everyone you meet has some hidden message that you need. Embrace change and challenges in order to be a better astrologer.
5) When you are asked if "you believe in astrology" say no but I believe in the astrologer. The magic is in the person, not in the chart.

lunalafey

BOOK

the New Way to Learn Astrology, GOOD BOOK!.....I liked the quizes at the back of the chapters. It gave me a good idea of what I had learned and the areas I need to work on. His analogy on houses helped me greatly in comprehending the houses dynamics.

dads....interesting that you can determine death in a chart. This is not unbelievable to me (I know the story of Evangaline Adams) I have a friend whos brother could find these points in a chart.

Minderwiz

I must admit that I have difficulties with the 'determination of death'. I don't believe that Astrology is deterministic, charts give possible trends which may or may not come to pass depending on the actions of the individual(s) concerned

I am quite willing to accept that the possibility of death may be shown in a chart and that an Astrologer may believe that this is a strong possibility. If it actually then happens it is possible (though I think mistaken) to say that the death was shown in the chart as a fact.

Also, taking up a point that dads made elsewhere, it is the Astrologer who interprets, rather than the chart itself which determines a good reading. I fully accept this and would perhaps add one further dimension. It is possible that the chart can stimulate a psychic connection - an insight or vision of the future. A prediction of death might be, on this basis, 'correct' even though the chart shows no compelling 'hard evidence' for it. Many psychics use Tarot as a means of focus and I see no reason why an Astrological chart should not play the same role.