10 of pentacles

earthair

More thoughts today- 1+4 are the sign of a lodge/order viewed upside down - it's a crown surrounded by wings with a pyramid on top. More Googling of images until I find a match...

And the possible ciphers may be signatures if PCS's other signatures are anything to go by?

Does anyone have an enlarged image of that area from the original painting? All the editions I have, or find online don't agree where exactly that line intersects the magic square :rolleyes:.

Traditionally people read this card as the old man is outside the gates, but I read the card as he's inside (shown by the masonic checkerboard) and the couple are outside. Also the only person in the card holding a pentacle is the woman. The man stands in her way between the outside world and the inner sanctum of this mystery order. :livelong:

Teheuti

Here's the detail from the Rose & Lilies deck from Roppo's site (contrast and sharpness increased slightly). The "monogram" no longer looks like Waite's initials. Perhaps a case could be made for it being a Masonic compass but only if the additional lines fit into a Masonic design. Unless we can find specific images that match I think we need to consider that they may simply be designs that are made to look as if they are esoteric. Remember, PCS was not a Mason nor an alchemist and was only initiated at the most basic levels of the GD. Also, Waite honored his vows of secrecy, so PCS wouldn't have been privy to the deeper levels of esotericism - of whatever kind.

https://marygreer.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/10-p-detail.jpg

earthair

Thank you both :) exactly what I needed. Very interesting how the magic squares and the white moons get increasingly garbled through editions :bugeyed:

Yup, I agree it's unlikely she'd have put anything concrete on, but the standard masonic (and other orders) symbols all around the old man have made me totally ditch my previous way of reading of this card. Now I see it as an unfinished stepping stone for the couple, not the end of their pentacular journey. :cool3:

Teheuti

Traditionally people read this card as the old man is outside the gates, but I read the card as he's inside (shown by the masonic checkerboard) and the couple are outside. Also the only person in the card holding a pentacle is the woman. The man stands in her way between the outside world and the inner sanctum of this mystery order.
Each person tells a somewhat different story about each card. Also, through time and changing circumstances, an individual's story will change. I've read for many professional Tarot readers who, in our interaction, find themselves talking about a card from a completely new perspective.

Desecrated

"This is the outcome of the planning of the 3 of pentacles and the gain from the hard work performed in the Eight of pentacles. Reversed this card is the loss of everything and the end result being the fifth of pentacle."

"The secret of this card is the young child who looks out at us with one hand placed on one of the dogs. We think of him as the young fool who will soon start his journey with his white little dog"

I've always thought the centerpiece of the robe was a Lyre-guitar

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/GirlWithLyreGuitar.jpg

But looking at the marygreer closeup, it looks more like a castle or tower.