Kipper "Fin de Siécle"

danieljuk

Ciro thank you for posting about it, love it and it looks gorgeous already. Can't wait to buy it :) thanks for including the extra cards in the other versions, I am always sad when I am missing out on the other versions because I missed their release at the time!

I love the theme you have done with it and can't wait for it :thumbsup:

WolfyJames

I want to mention that card 29 Prison represent more than a person locked in a room. Usually card 29 looks like the Tower card from the Lenormand because card 29 Prison also represent big buildings, big hotels, big apartment buildings, official structures, hospitals, administrations, schools, enterprises, police stations, etc. It's their version of the Tower card from the Lenormand. But your version has no Tower card feel and therefore there is no card in your deck that represent big buildings, and all the others I mentioned earlier. There is not much difference between card 29 Prison in the Kipper and Tower in the Lenormand.

cirom

Once again I'd like to refer to the period that this is all set in. Yes the card can represent other buildings... But the original title Gefängnis does kind of present a core intent. I was not aware of it also meaning a hotel and I really doubt that was a key factor in the thinking of the original deck, same for apartment buildings which was not a common scenario in either period. So such meaning probably evolved afterwards. As for hospitals....have you seen what Victorian hospitals, schools and institutions looked like ?......I chose this image in preference to depicting a building because I wanted to symbolize the concept of imprisonment so that it can serve for emotional concepts of that term not just the physical incarceration of the place itself..... i.e. a prisoner of ones fears, prejudices etc etc You comment that I have no card in my deck that represents big buildings. Considering that only a few cards have been shown, how do you know that? As it happens I do and its very relevant to the overall social setting. Allow me at least to complete the project before judging how its lacking.

Nevertheless, once again this deck is not intended to be a rubber stamp clone of the original Kipper deck....if my interpretations don't work (and obviously they won't for everyone) then the choice for readers will be to interpret them in a way that works for THEM, or stick with the original. If this image is too specific and you would find it difficult to "read' beyond the person in a locked room, I can appreciate how that would be a limitation as it will be for other people with other cards I've also "ADAPTED" So when that is the case then clearly this deck won't be a suitable choice ...

cmarie

The cards are really beautiful and I can't wait to get my hands on them!

I think your choice of the woman sewing was very apt, because imo that can be some very hard work. The faces of the characters, on the cards I saw, have more depth to them than the original German kippers and I really love that. Thank you for the preview Cirom.

and thank you Reall for posting those pictures :)

2dogs

I like the authentic Victorian theme Ciro, rather than steampunk, but the Victorians were very keen on correct spelling so be sure to check the Oxford English Dictionary for words such as Privileged and Honourable (nobody was there to correct the Americans once they got this wrong ;)).

reall

I won't be making the same mistake as I did with the Lenormand. For good or bad I will have the courage of my conviction this time and have any extra cards I include in the initial special edition also included in the standard editions that will follow. US Games and Königsfurt-Urania Verlag have already licensed the deck (even before they even saw a card so thats a vote of confidence), and will probably release their versions late 2016.
So if my special edition is not an option either for price or shipping convenience, then there will be these other options, it will just require patience....

happy to hear that!^^ I still can't get over the fact that I miss my chance to get that for my fav GRL!facepalm hopefully we'll see that in some future editions?!^^ ;))
but still don't be surprised if they say no, I think in printing business it's all about *tehnical questions*!^^ facepalm ;))

I want to mention that card 29 Prison represent more than a person locked in a room. Usually card 29 looks like the Tower card from the Lenormand because card 29 Prison also represent big buildings, big hotels, big apartment buildings, official structures, hospitals, administrations, schools, enterprises, police stations, etc. It's their version of the Tower card from the Lenormand. But your version has no Tower card feel and therefore there is no card in your deck that represent big buildings, and all the others I mentioned earlier. There is not much difference between card 29 Prison in the Kipper and Tower in the Lenormand.

I disagree, Prison card in Kipper is not the same as Tower in Lenormand! Lenormand Tower is more formal card that can represent corporal building court etc, but Prison is similar to same card in Art Deco deck!:)) and it's meaning is feeling of imprisonment, like you don't have space, lack freedom, like you can't do anything etc thats why I prefer ciro design!^^ ;)) but it can be small space hotel room hospital and all places that feel like that or are hard to get in and out!^^ ;))

btw imo tower in Lenormand is same tower from Tarot and that would go with sun mun and star card they share?:)) and that goes well with theory that Lenormand/miss Lenormand used was probably mix of Tarot and playing cards!:)) and on the other hand kipper cards are more similar to traditional aka gypsy/sibbila cards that every country have some special!:)) cuz there is no traditiona tarot cards in kipper and no playing cards insertions!:)) but there is plenty of character cards and many gypsy cards!:)) so even if it can look similar at first because same number of cards 36 and named by the famous lady in their country Lenormand and Kipper are totaly diferent tradition!:))

cirom

I like the authentic Victorian theme Ciro, rather than steampunk, but the Victorians were very keen on correct spelling so be sure to check the Oxford English Dictionary for words such as Privileged and Honourable (nobody was there to correct the Americans once they got this wrong ;)).

Thank you, these have already been noted, but I appreciate you mentioning them anyway. My spelling sucks , but in these cases it's also laziness. These images are not finished. The titles are not the final versions. They are really only temporary placements. You may note that even their position is not consistent from card to card yet. I'm consulting with a couple of German Kipper authors to decide what would be the best way to translate some of these titles anyway. In some cases a direct translations sounds a bit klutzy. No excuse for a misspelt title though. But such things would be be caught and edited prior to preparing the final files.

cirom

Wow! Fantastic characters cards!:)) as expected! That lady n gent are my fav ever! Luv to see that kid again so cute! N Love how you did house n steampunk touch! It's on my fav

To clarify. The card with the lady in the red dress and fan is not the principal Lady of the deck, it's my version of the " False Person" card. And the kid is once again my daughter, as it was in the Lenormnd deck.

reall

To clarify. The card with the lady in the red dress and fan is not the principal Lady of the deck, it's my version of the " False Person" card. And the kid is once again my daughter, as it was in the Lenormnd deck.
Ah! I know that because red color n way she was holding a fan n mask in the bg it have same vibe as traditional and mystical kipper!:) and i remember that cute kid from GL!:)) but i was sure i cach a glimps of lady in promo video? Hm or was that just my imagination?!x.x ups! I probably mixed it up with privileged lady! Facepalm nevermind we'll find out soon! As well as card back design?!:))

Btw i like all the detailes in the bg of cards! Those mini portrets of tarot cards!:)) lolz those miniatures are my fav from kipper n ol decks!:)))

WolfyJames

I disagree, Prison card in Kipper is not the same as Tower in Lenormand! Lenormand Tower is more formal card that can represent corporal building court etc, but Prison is similar to same card in Art Deco deck!:)) and it's meaning is feeling of imprisonment, like you don't have space, lack freedom, like you can't do anything etc thats why I prefer ciro design!^^ ;)) but it can be small space hotel room hospital and all places that feel like that or are hard to get in and out!^^ ;))

btw imo tower in Lenormand is same tower from Tarot and that would go with sun mun and star card they share?:)) and that goes well with theory that Lenormand/miss Lenormand used was probably mix of Tarot and playing cards!:)) and on the other hand kipper cards are more similar to traditional aka gypsy/sibbila cards that every country have some special!:)) cuz there is no traditiona tarot cards in kipper and no playing cards insertions!:)) but there is plenty of character cards and many gypsy cards!:)) so even if it can look similar at first because same number of cards 36 and named by the famous lady in their country Lenormand and Kipper are totaly diferent tradition!:))

Talking about the Art Deco version of the deck has no relevance since it's nothing but one the later re imagined editions based on the original. The original and first deck shows a big building on the card. Therefore it also represent, like the Tower in the Lenormand, big buildings, big hotels, big apartment buildings, official structures, hospitals, administrations, schools, enterprises, police stations, etc Only showing someone locked in a room is severely limiting the card and what it also represents, and it also leaves no card in such a deck that represents big buildings.

Attachments

• prison.jpg
    prison.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 188