Kipper "Fin de Siécle"

reall

Well the deck may not have my usual "tech" in the imagery style, but it does have "tech" embedded within it...I believe this is a first in the world of cartomancy, but no doubt won't be for long...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeRcXQIMFdo

fantastc deck!:)) like extra cards!^^ ;)) btw *powerty feature black cat meaning bad luck and chimneyboy/that is say to bring good luck/especially if you touch his button and make a wish?:)) or is that crazy superstition popular just in my part of the world?:)) lolz

cirom

I was always under the impression that a black cat was an omen of bad luck, although i realize that (like many other superstitions) it varies from culture to culture. As for touching a chimney sweeps buttons being being associated with good luck... I have never heard of that.... It would seem to be a rather ironic association .. certainly being a chimney sweep wouldn't have been considered a lucky life..... When researching this project I appreciated just how bad their circumstances were... During a period of extreme poverty and social pecking order, this "occupation" was pretty much regarded as the lowest of the low. It didn't get much worse.... As such I envisioned this additional card to be a counterpoint to the "The Privileged Lady" card.

Cocobird55

Interesting background intel about the deck. I appreciate hearing about it.

reall

although i realize that (like many other superstitions) it varies from culture to culture. As for touching a chimney sweeps buttons being being associated with good luck... I have never heard of that.... It would seem to be a rather ironic association .. certainly being a chimney sweep wouldn't have been considered a lucky life..... When researching this project I appreciated just how bad their circumstances were... During a period of extreme poverty and social pecking order, this "occupation" was pretty much regarded as the lowest of the low. It didn't get much worse.... As such I envisioned this additional card to be a counterpoint to the "The Privileged Lady" card.
:)) I find that superstition interesting!:)) like you say it's all well described in classical literature /C.Dickens I think?:)) but even so, maybe cuz their job was important?:)) /to prevent *misfortune/fire and poisoning?:)) and I noticed/at least in my part of the world this people have a great pride in their work!^^:)) and these days even some girls choose to contine tradition and do that profesion!:)) of course in *modern/ no chimney cities there is no place for this ,,, :))

cirom

Taking pride in such work and girls still choosing to do so, must surely be the exception.. I can appreciate that even the most demeaning and dangerous jobs may indeed be a source of pride for some. But Based on my research, many of the children who did this were coerced and sold into doing so by desperate families who had no other economic options. Younger children were the optimum candidates because of their physical size, and many of the chimneys were so narrow, that it was common for them to get stuck. It was reported that to resolve this, their scrupulous bosses would actually light a fire to "encourage" the poor child to put more effort into wriggling free. One specific report I came across described how in one case ( although I doubt it was the only case) the child could not wriggle free and his screams could be heard for over two miles away.. So from my perspective no professional pride was intended by the depicted scene. This card is a negative card pure and simple. Hopefully that negativity can be limited in duration and significance by other cards in a spread, but in of itself... No lucky buttons...

Cocobird55

That's terrible about the children, especially the boss lighting a fire under them. Poor children were treated so badly.

reall

ok, I understand it's negative card! just saying it's interesting to asociate *powerty with dangerous or low paid jobs that more have to do with luck?:)) and i.e miners and fireman are in similar position/and more common and hi risk?/this would be task for insurance company to decide on stat!/as job should mean paycheck?:)/ and powery is traditionaly something like 5of coins/RW?!!:)) sicknes or material trouble etc not complaining just saying,,,, still love your deck and card design!^^:))

@Cocobird55 I agree with you! unfortunetly even today there is something like children labor and marriage!x,x
not to mention all the trouble children of all around the globe face every day to survive!x,x
and there is refuge crisis in Europe at the moment!x,x
I just wish people who make those decision on top do that for children and all people of this earth for our future to live together withouth suffering!x,x and not to fill their pockets on suffering of those *less fortunate to be born in powerty!x,x

cirom

Those are very valid points, and also why I approached this deck the way I did. I hope that despite the historical setting, the underlying concepts are still valid and applicable today. ( in some cases unfortunately so). I believe it's quite easy to see contemporary comparisons to those images on the cards.. Even I can read with these cards. And that's saying something.

frelkins

Those are very valid points, and also why I approached this deck the way I did. I hope that despite the historical setting, the underlying concepts are still valid and applicable today. ( in some cases unfortunately so). I believe it's quite easy to see contemporary comparisons to those images on the cards.. Even I can read with these cards. And that's saying something.

Absolutely agree, Ciro. And I think the relevancy of the images is one reason the deck is so overwhelming popular. :D

PurplePixie

Kipper heaven

its my second kipper deck. My first is an antique with the first 22 cards in reversed mirror image. This is the most beautiful deck thank you so much ,Ciro. And the bag your wife made is just stunning