Using The Guidebooks

Shadow Wolf

I'm back to doing oracle readings, with some decks I don't need the guidebook, but with others I do......is it acceptable to use the guidebook when doing a reading for someone.......

I'm a little rusty on reading ettiquette.......thanks !!!!

Ms Magpie

I would love to know the answer to this one also, as I am new and would like to do things smoothly without looking foolish infront of a friend while I read the first while!

Golden Moon

Shadow Wolf said:
I'm back to doing oracle readings, with some decks I don't need the guidebook, but with others I do......is it acceptable to use the guidebook when doing a reading for someone.......

I'm a little rusty on reading ettiquette.......thanks !!!!

I don't think it should matter if you use a book or not. The point is that the sitter is getting thier cards read.

amethyst57

depends on your intuition and your learning ways...
like back in school....
memorizing each and every guide, taking notes and journaling while doing your own readings, taping yourself while reading the meanings from the books,etc...note taking helps me remember...
friends and family would understand about the books...and online, email, or
phone readings, querents wouldn't know if you are reading the books...
or better yet, would be 'cheat sheets' on which deck you use at that time, so you can have them at the ready...

Wendywu

I think your best bet would be to explain that you are a little rusty, and that you will read with occasional reference to the book. Or maybe do the cheat-sheet thing. As far as possible though - read for your sitter yourself. It is your interpretation that is special, the particular slant that you put on what you see.

In time, you'll find you need the book less and less.

If possible though - read using decks where you don't need the book until you've got some more confidence for face-to-face readings, and learn the other decks in your own time.