Noblet Smell

3ill.yazi

Maybe this needs to be in the general card forum, but I thought more people might find it relevant here.

I know this is a weird question, but I have the Flornoy Noblet deck, and wondered if any other Noblet owners have noticed an unusual smell from it? I've had it for a year and it hasn't faded.

Not an unpleasant smell, but just different, like an oily smell. Not motor oil, but like oil paint.

Anyone ever noticed this?

mrpants

What I remember most about receiving this deck in '07/'08, is that it had no smell at all! Fresh out of the box, just nothing. I was pleasantly surprised.

mrpants

duplicate post- pls delete

prudence

Maybe this needs to be in the general card forum, but I thought more people might find it relevant here.

I know this is a weird question, but I have the Flornoy Noblet deck, and wondered if any other Noblet owners have noticed an unusual smell from it? I've had it for a year and it hasn't faded.

Not an unpleasant smell, but just different, like an oily smell. Not motor oil, but like oil paint.

Anyone ever noticed this?
which edition do you have? I have the 78 card deck as well as the majors only deck. The majors only one has that oil smell I think due to the type of paint they used. I never noticed a smell from the full deck though.

3ill.yazi

Huh. I have the 2014 edition, the full deck. Maybe it was stored with the other ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barleywine

which edition do you have? I have the 78 card deck as well as the majors only deck. The majors only one has that oil smell I think due to the type of paint they used. I never noticed a smell from the full deck though.

More likely the laminating or coating material, not the printer's ink. My Radiant RWS had a powerful chemical odor from the glossy lamination when I first got it; after a couple of years it has slowly faded to something closer to the smell of stale cat pee. I hope your luck is better.

eltarot78

the old smell of crude soap

Hello all

the smell that you can feel, is the smell of crude soap, is a feature that gave Jean Claude to recreate the treatment they were given cards formerly

3ill.yazi

Soap?

Yves Le Marseillais

Soap as varnish

Soap?

Hello,

Cards was "varnished" with a piece of soap and after this soap pellicule was spread on cards ensemble with a specific piece of round stone fited on a piece of wood.

Now printers uses a spray of liquid varnish. Mat, satin or glossy finish.

I am not sure that Flornoy used this XVIII century technic.

Cordially,

Yves

decan

Concerning the Noblet Tarot I also have the 22 majors only. I don't use them so there are as good as new.
I took the time to smell them... but I didn't notice anything unusual, soap or oil paint.
Maybe they have been stored near essential oils or encense? Curious.